Code 36 service required???

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Can you even see that sticker without pulling the battery? Please post a pic.

I had to use an endoscope fed in through the left shroud to read mine. You may be able to slide a mirror-on-a-stick in there and see it, as well.

No problem.

I have the following information on the firmware you state your bike has in your ad;
MX 1.4.2 (6/5/18)
- improve battery imbalance check logic
- display warning for battery and module imbalance
- display warning when vehicle type is unknown/not configured
- minor bug fixes

While this isn’t the newest version I see listed it would appear that this version had the update for the imbalance issues, so as long as you rode your bike for awhile since, you are probably

Great info, thanks Snydes.

snydes

Staff member
The code is possible on any bike as it just signals a voltage imbalance, but the problems we are referring to in this thread are somewhat specific to 2018 MXR’s as Onelapper stated.

Sumik

The 'A' packs did not have this issue, only some of the 'R' packs (MXR EXR)
I just updated the firmware at my 2017 Alta MX and have the same issue - Error code 36 immediately after the update. The Alta Multitool Software shows the imbalance at 2 cells. Any recommendation?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
A code 36 error with the A pack batteries is pretty rare, but we do know of two A packs that have a wire bond issues. One appeared to be an easy fix because the bond failure was on the PCB instead of the cell.

None of this is actually helpful info.... lol. Can you post a picture of the battery condition page on MT? Small voltage imbalances due to wire bond problems have been repaired, but it's not easy and some special tools are needed.

Sumik

A code 36 error with the A pack batteries is pretty rare, but we do know of two A packs that have a wire bond issues. One appeared to be an easy fix because the bond failure was on the PCB instead of the cell.

None of this is actually helpful info.... lol. Can you post a picture of the battery condition page on MT? Small voltage imbalances due to wire bond problems have been repairs, but it's not easy and some special tools are needed.
Thanks for fast reply. I'll send a printscreen in about 4 hrs. A question, can I ride the bike with this Error code flashing or not? I'm just on a way to a racetrack..

Sumik

Need screenshots of the battery graph at low charge levels and fully charged to help evaluate.
I add screenshots. The first three pictures are after the ride with battery half full (half empty), the last one is after 2 minutes when charger connected.

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 20-02-28.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 20-03-37.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 20-04-58.png

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 20-08-09.png

allesad

Code 36 Question?

I have 2017 MX (535 miles) with older firmware and was considering upgrading the FW, till I read Sumik's post.
What would be the downfall of riding with a battery / module imbalance? Any harm??

snydes

Staff member
An imbalance could be caused by a number of things. In the case of a broken wirebond, the downfall is the affected P group can be exposed to greater extremes as far as voltages because now that P group has a reduced capacity. It will deplete first, and it will take less time to charge. Depending on at what SoC the bond broke will affect how it will behave as far as voltage extremes. I’ve had the opportunity to look at several code 36 R packs and the affected P groups all behave differently. I’ve seen one that looks fantastic at 100%, but as soon as you start discharging it the imbalance drops out of spec, another pack at 90% the P group voltage was so high I wouldn’t have wanted to charge it to 100% for fear of overcharging that group. All depends on what SOC the bond broke.

If you have MT to upgrade the firmware, then you should already be able to look at your battery graph to see if you have an issue. Personally, I’d want to know if there was an imbalance so you can avoid charge levels that could be detrimental to the affected group, even though chances are they were already exposed to less than ideal voltages.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Well, it's not good news.

It appears that P group cells are damaged permanently, reducing the max and min voltage of the pack, which affects max power and range.

The only option that we see is to replace the entire module with matching cells, carefully match the module voltage to the other three modules, and allow the BMS to do the final, minute, voltage adjustments as the pack is charged and discharged in normal use.

@snydes had done a lot of research on this with his code 36 pack, he's better qualified to speak to it in detail, but the above is the executive summary.