Code 36 service required???

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
One more Code 36 and the four of you should be able to find some beat-up MXR/EXR and harvest its 4 battery "modules".

The rest of the bike can be sold for parts, or put together and sold as one " Code 36" bike. Perhaps @TonyWilliams or someone with Alta connections will buy it. This may not be a cheap solution but it is still a solution.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
There must have been a restart somewhere... My EXR is #103. And I believe it's newer than most of the MXRs. Did I misunderstand something?
Same question here, my EXR is #145 and running in tip top condition. Did my 10hr service on it, which was the easiest service with anything involving 2 wheels and a motor I have ever done.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Same question here, my EXR is #145 and running in tip top condition. Did my 10hr service on it, which was the easiest service with anything involving 2 wheels and a motor I have ever done.

Somewhere earlier in this thread datadog told us that the MX/MXRs and the EX/EXRs are in different VIN sequences. I think we (hopefully) have determined that the battery issue was resolved before EXR production was started. I believe someone also said that the EXRs begin at 099 in the EX/EXR sequence, but I am not positive about the starting number. I ordered mine early and I'm EXR #110.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Those of you with codes, can you try snapping a picture or seeing what the last 3 digits of the barcode sticker are on the rear side of the battery, about half way up?

snydes

Staff member

Bryan, your bike should be fine. If you have the latest firmware and with the amount of time you have been riding it already I would say you’re in the clear. Any 2018 MXR’s that haven’t had the latest firmware loaded would make me nervous.

Hi Syndes,

I'm glad you brought up your last statement. My question for you is why does that make you nervous? Was it identified that the latest firmware update did not cause a cell imbalance? I am curious what the actual driver behind the cell imbalance, me having an outdated firmware update, I am reluctant to update it to the latest and greatest because I have not had the code 36 error. Albeit, I only have ~4 hours on the bike and have logged ~100 miles, I would think the cell imbalance would have occurred by now. It also may be noteworthy that I have only used the 110 charger.

snydes

Staff member
Hi Syndes,

I'm glad you brought up your last statement. My question for you is why does that make you nervous? Was it identified that the latest firmware update did not cause a cell imbalance? I am curious what the actual driver behind the cell imbalance, me having an outdated firmware update, I am reluctant to update it to the latest and greatest because I have not had the code 36 error. Albeit, I only have ~4 hours on the bike and have logged ~100 miles, I would think the cell imbalance would have occurred by now. It also may be noteworthy that I have only used the 110 charger.

There are a number of things that could potentially cause the module imbalance. The main culprit as I understand it (from what little we were able to find out) is there was an issue with the process that attaches the fuse wires to the individual cells that caused some bikes to go out the door with bad connections.

The original firmware on these early 2018 MXRs didn’t adequately detect the imbalance. Later when owners went in and had there firmware updated and then shortly after riding the bike the fault is triggered. The firmware doesn’t cause it, it just picks up on it better.

It may just be one single cell that is disconnected, and the real world impact on range would be negligible, and chances are if you would already be use to it since it was that way the entire time you had it.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, so if you own an early MXR that hasn’t had the firmware updated and you plan on keeping the bike, don’t do it. There’s nothing you can do about it anyhow. If you want to sell it expect to get beat up about the fact that it doesn’t have the latest firmware, because the buyer is taking a risk that the pack isn’t 100%.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Would like others to chime in with the last 3 digits of the barcode sticker on the back of their batteries.

snydes

Staff member
Thank you for the response Snydes(sorry for the misspelling earlier). Definitely does not give me warm fuzzies but the information is appreciated.

No problem.

I have the following information on the firmware you state your bike has in your ad;
MX 1.4.2 (6/5/18)
- improve battery imbalance check logic
- display warning for battery and module imbalance
- display warning when vehicle type is unknown/not configured
- minor bug fixes

While this isn’t the newest version I see listed it would appear that this version had the update for the imbalance issues, so as long as you rode your bike for awhile since, you are probably ok.