Code 33 service required just appeared on display.

Trialsbikeadam

Code 33 service required just appeared on my display. What does this mean? And can I reset it? I called the dealer I purchased it from and they didn’t know. Hopefully I’ve posted this in the correct thread. Thanks Adam

snydes

Staff member
Alta basically replaced the battery any time there was any type of issue that would require the battery to be opened up, but some battery related codes are definitely worse news than others.

Trialsbikeadam

So it sounds like ALTA was replacing batteries for these type of codes? Am I hearing that right? I’m a pretty good technician but the HV stuffis an area I’ve never been. Sorry for the ignorance.

Mark911

You need to figure out how to use Multitool. It'll show the exact isolation value. I've seen mine bounce around a bit already, from a "green" light (good) to a "red" light (bad). Even when Multitool indicated "red" for HV isolation I never got any check light on my dash. I probably don't have the latest firmware, maybe that's why. I suspect Alta kept adding new failure codes and revising the "out of range" values for the old ones with each firmware update. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Having said that, HV Isolation is an important safety feature as it's intended to physically separate the high voltage system from the low voltage system to protect you from any shock hazard and protect the electronic components. However, because the HV system feeds the LV system TOTAL isolation is practically impossible. In these cases transformers, relays, and sometimes optics are used to interface the two systems. These components can breakdown or be damaged to the point where isolation is compromised. They're not expensive to replace, but the problem is figuring out which one(s) are contributing to the leakage. Of course, even though most of the electronics are conformal coated and wiring/connectors sealed, any water getting between a HV and LV circuit could be causing the problem as well.

Bottom line, I doubt you'll be needing a new battery pack.

Trialsbikeadam

You need to figure out how to use Multitool. It'll show the exact isolation value. I've seen mine bounce around a bit already, from a "green" light (good) to a "red" light (bad). Even when Multitool indicated "red" for HV isolation I never got any check light on my dash. I probably don't have the latest firmware, maybe that's why. I suspect Alta kept adding new failure codes and revising the "out of range" values for the old ones with each firmware update. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Having said that, HV Isolation is an important safety feature as it's intended to physically separate the high voltage system from the low voltage system to protect you from any shock hazard and protect the electronic components. However, because the HV system feeds the LV system TOTAL isolation is practically impossible. In these cases transformers, relays, and sometimes optics are used to interface the two systems. These components can breakdown or be damaged to the point where isolation is compromised. They're not expensive to replace, but the problem is figuring out which one(s) are contributing to the leakage. Of course, even though most of the electronics are conformal coated and wiring/connectors sealed, any water getting between a HV and LV circuit could be causing the problem as well.

Bottom line, I doubt you'll be needing a new battery pack.
That’s a ton of good info!! I had just recently washed the bike, could that be an isolation problem? I love the electric bike, but wrenching on it has me at a loss!

Trialsbikeadam

I’ve found the thread on installing the multitool. I’m going to work on getting that up and going (downloading and ordering the cables, etc..) and then I’ll post an update. Thanks for the help on this 😊

I’ve found the thread on installing the multitool. I’m going to work on getting that up and going (downloading and ordering the cables, etc..) and then I’ll post an update. Thanks for the help on this 😊
I got the same error a year or so ago after washing my bike, and it would not even charge the battery, it ended up having moisture in a few of the harnesses on top of the battery, I disconnected the charge harness on top of the battery, used a hair dryer to dry the connectors,and the bike would charge, except the error was still active. Aof member mx8(Quentin), employee from Alta came out dryed the rest of the connectors, and did a few other things, and problem has not came back, I would try to message Quentin MX8, and see if he has any suggestions he has always been very helpful, and is a really nice guy to work with, he helped me out with the issues that I have had, even though my MX was out of warranty.

Trialsbikeadam

I got the same error a year or so ago after washing my bike, and it would not even charge the battery, it ended up having moisture in a few of the harnesses on top of the battery, I disconnected the charge harness on top of the battery, used a hair dryer to dry the connectors,and the bike would charge, except the error was still active. Aof member mx8(Quentin), employee from Alta came out dryed the rest of the connectors, and did a few other things, and problem has not came back, I would try to message Quentin MX8, and see if he has any suggestions he has always been very helpful, and is a really nice guy to work with, he helped me out with the issues that I have had, even though my MX was out of warranty.
Thank you!!! I’ll definitely do that 👍

Trialsbikeadam

UPDATE: the bike charges and seems to operate fine. The code is still there. I’ve ordered the cables for the multitool. While I wait for them I planned to undo and dry any connections I can find. Should I be wearing high voltage gloves for any of the connectors? Thanks, Adam

UPDATE: the bike charges and seems to operate fine. The code is still there. I’ve ordered the cables for the multitool. While I wait for them I planned to undo and dry any connections I can find. Should I be wearing high voltage gloves for any of the connectors? Thanks, Adam
Alta Motors,has a service video on YouTube, that has a instruction video on how to remove and install the battery, I did not have to remove the battery but the high voltage connection was tricky to disconnect until I found the video, I did not where gloves but was trying to be very careful since I am not a electrician, (and yes I was very nervous also)I think Phillip has had his out a few times lately, and might be able to give you a few pointers. I would definitely watch the video on YouTube, and wait for a few more people to comment that has done it multiple times, stay safe

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Also, the largest air gap that 350 VDC can jump is just 0.001". You pretty much have to touch a hot high-voltage wire to get zapped. So, do not sit on the bike while working on it, do not touch things with both hands, and be careful with wet things. In my unqualified opinion, if you follow these rules, the worst that could happen is you'd burn some fingertips.