Code 36 service required???

snydes

Staff member
My best guess is you have an early MX who’s pack would have been replaced under warranty as many early 17’s were for reasons unknown. I assume because of your location that didn’t happen. Something going on there with module 1 P group 3 and module 2 P group 11. To my eye it looks like disconnected cells which is causing the rest of the pack to not balance correctly. The voltage on those two bad groups is correct for 100% SoC, so what you need to determine is what SoC you can run it down to safely to keep those groups from going to low. It’s not going to hurt to continue using the bike, but I’d avoid running too low to minimize and further aging of those P groups.

I might be wrong with some of my assessments, this is all based on my observations from other code 36 R packs.

Sumik

My best guess is you have an early MX who’s pack would have been replaced under warranty as many early 17’s were for reasons unknown. I assume because of your location that didn’t happen. Something going on there with module 1 P group 3 and module 2 P group 11. To my eye it looks like disconnected cells which is causing the rest of the pack to not balance correctly. The voltage on those two bad groups is correct for 100% SoC, so what you need to determine is what SoC you can run it down to safely to keep those groups from going to low. It’s not going to hurt to continue using the bike, but I’d avoid running too low to minimize and further aging of those P groups.

I might be wrong with some of my assessments, this is all based on my observations from other code 36 R packs.
Thanks Snydes and OneLapper. I really appreciate! You are right, my Alta is one of the first ones which went out for sale at the beginning of 2017. The VIN is 56PARABM4HB000054.

snydes

Staff member
Just got Code 35.. now showing code 35 and 36 on the dash.. 20 hours on the bike.
From what I’ve seen, 35 will usually follow 36 if it goes on long enough. We really need to see a screen shot of the battery graph in MultiTool to evaluate the extent of your problems.

Brad

I have a 2017 mx vin # 56PARABMXHB000043 Went riding today did 26 miles battery went down to about 1/4. I realized when loading my bike my battery then dropped to about 1/8 charge and was flashing. When I got home and plugged my bike into the charger and connected to multitool I saw I had a fault. Code 36. The first picture of the battery graph is when the bike is charging and at about half charge. Second picture battery graph is when I canceled the charge. Is it safe to ride without damaging or harming it anymore? Also what would be the fix here? New battery?

149DFDB6-85D5-4D53-9E47-D7F9DA0D9F56.jpeg

73C97402-3E59-4EAD-B35F-21E25777E906.jpeg

Brad

Yeah it’s on the charger right now. I can usually get 30 miles in, how much of decrease in range are we talking?

snydes

Staff member
Post a picture of 100% charge and also try and show the lower portion of that screen that shows the numbers. From those two shots it would appear that the imbalance is staying consistent through the charge which would suggest it is not a disconnected cell (which I wouldn't suspect it would be on an A pack), but a different issue that A packs experienced.

As far as what you seen with the state of charge when you were loading it, if you had shut the bike off between the 1/4 and 1/8% reading then that would be normal.

Brad

Post a picture of 100% charge and also try and show the lower portion of that screen that shows the numbers. From those two shots it would appear that the imbalance is staying consistent through the charge which would suggest it is not a disconnected cell (which I wouldn't suspect it would be on an A pack), but a different issue that A packs experienced.

As far as what you seen with the state of charge when you were loading it, if you had shut the bike off between the 1/4 and 1/8% reading then that would be normal.
Okay so now that the battery is fully charged I’m getting a code 35. Which I suspect to follow the code 36. Here’s a picture of the batter graph at 100%SOC.

B2693D7C-B047-46A8-9E0B-1638D3BB4467.jpeg

9EE67AF7-A233-4DB8-84CA-764BD62C5996.jpeg

snydes

Staff member
Looks fine at 100%. Yes, code 35 follows 36. This is another somewhat unique scenario that doesn't really follow anything we've seen here yet. Take another picture at a low state of charge. It looks like for whatever reason that P group isn't discharging at the same rate, which could possibly be due to a faulty chip on the module pcb. Honestly though, if it balances that good at 100%, and nothing looks detrimental at a low SOC, I can't see what harm there is in just running it like that.