POLL - Have you had problems that required support from Alta Motors?

Have you had problems that required support from Alta Motors?

• No

• Yes, the problem would have prevented me from riding

• Yes, but I could have fixed it myself or with someone else's help

Results are only viewable after voting.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Same here with my EXR. I just did my 10 hour service, changed the 90cc of gear oil. Even though I knew how much gear oil the bike held, it still amazed me how little oil it actually is, especially when comparing to regular motorcycle oil changes. Went with Amsoil finest stuff rated for 100,000 miles. So it should be good for 100 hours. Also put a new Dirt Tricks Zirconium 52T sprocket on the rear, and a 12T up front. If my math serves me correctly, I gained about 6% of mechanical advantage to the rear wheel and lost 4MPH top speed. This should translate into having a couple of more miles of off road range for the type of riding I prefer and do. This may not sound like much of an increase, but it could be the potential difference in pushing my bike 2 miles to the truck, I will see what it translates into tomorrow for my real world comparison.

SuburbanDad

I had one crash related issue that required a new dash from Alta. Smashing the dash disables the bike entirely. I am going to be a lot more careful in the future!

Luigic81

I am very curious about this. Thinking about picking up a 18 MXR this week from my local dealer. I'm worried about the availability to get parts if/when I break them when crashing, such as throttle tube, dash screen etc. Software updates and glitches.

How available are these parts in the future? Thanks!

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
I am very curious about this. Thinking about picking up a 18 MXR this week from my local dealer. I'm worried about the availability to get parts if/when I break them when crashing, such as throttle tube, dash screen etc. Software updates and glitches.

How available are these parts in the future? Thanks!

To be honest with you Luigic nobody knows at this point. We are waiting for an announcement from the big cheese at Alta.

bluefxstc

Only problems i have had are the brass in plastic inserts striping out. Kind of sucks, and not sure what the long term solution is, but haven't kept me from riding. Turn the key on and go, awesome!

BEZ23

I had an error code and the dealer/Alta said the whole battery needed replacing. Left it with the dealer for 2 weeks and they replaced it. This was at 100 miles on the bike.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My "17 MX and '18 MXR have been very reliable. I did not even need to update the firmware, other than one time after the purchase of a fast charger.

Matt Sanders

My display on the EX got foggy internally after some winter riding... eventually causing it to stop displaying anything. Bike worked fine, but you couldn't see the charge meter which is kinda important. It was replaced under warranty but I'm cautious about bringing the bike out in the wet again.

ecd

I've had no problems with my 2019 EXR. I'm concerned about replacement parts for the common breakable parts like signals, brake light, lever, license plate holder. Are KTM parts compatible or are there some alternatives?

snydes

Staff member
I've had no problems with my 2019 EXR. I'm concerned about replacement parts for the common breakable parts like signals, brake light, lever, license plate holder. Are KTM parts compatible or are there some alternatives?

Signals shouldn't be too bad, as long as the bulb is similar to avoid some of the problems guys have had when converting to LED. Brakes are all Brembo items, levers are standard KTM, front brake is 2014 KTM or Motion Pro #14-9012. Rear brake if using the Alta LHRB kit is also a KTM/Brembo lever, don't have the year or model of what KTM was the same but it is Motion Pro #14-9010. Sprockets are KTM, everything suspension is WP (KTM), plastic is made by Acerbis and if Alta goes belly up I'm sure Acerbis will probably start selling everything they have molds for aftermarket. Wheels are made by Warp 9. All that type of stuff is fairly easy to work around. The electronics are what we would have to worry about.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm not really worried about anything other than the battery and control hardware/software(including the display). Any part that isn't available off the shelf can be modeled and sent out for fabrication. I have access to photo-modeling and laser modeling tools, so if there is a proprietary part, (like some random bracket) we could still re-create it. I also imagine that there are companies that will reverse engineer the circuit's and display components so they could be re-created as well. The software bit is out of my expertise, but I imagine if it isn't released IF Alta announces real bad news then I'm sure there is an owner that might have the knowledge to hack that as well.

snydes

Staff member
We have an exceptional group of talented people here, already we have members looking into solutions to some of these problems. I think in a worse case scenario we will come up with fixes, it just won't be as nice as walking into a dealer for a part or service.

Fog 25

Damn, that sucks! Any idea what riding behavior might have contributed, so some of us might attempt to not do the same?
This is the response I got from Kevin at Alta asking the same question.
Kevin Burn
Kevin Burns (Alta Motors)
Oct 8, 13:52 MST

Hi Steve,

Code 35 and code 36 are not a result of user error while riding or charging. We have updated and improved our battery pack to all but eliminate these issues.

-Kevin
STEVEN RAW
STEVEN RAWSON
Oct 5, 16:23 MST

Thanks Kevin
I was just curious if it was something I should change in my habits with the bike. Riding or charging ?