Displays button functions (POLL)

How often do you use your display buttons?

• All the time

• Very infrequently

Results are only viewable after voting.

snydes

Staff member
I’m curious how often people actually use their display functions. Other than settings either KPH/MPH, the only useful function is being able to toggle the hour meter, which I believe most people will base their maintenance on. This has to do with an alternative display board housing design which is the motivation for the poll.

Thanks

enjoythesilenc

Can you incorporate a cell voltage scale on the bezel?

I just started to track what each bar correlates to on voltage. Has someone already done this?

20201224_165629.jpg

enjoythesilenc

That’s an interesting thought :unsure:
Only a select few would actually be interested in that, I however would be one of them.
Ha Ha, maybe a 1 thru 10 scale so when people ask how much battery do you have left you can quickly tell the difference between 1/3 and 1/4

Also, a built in magnifying glass to see which map you have been riding in for the older set

I forgot about the button functions, too. I now see that my average lifetime velocity is less than 8 mph. Do I own the slowest Alta on the forum?:eek:

Trialsman

% SOC was always something I thought about too. This is a simple way I have been using to more closely estimate the %. We have a label maker so I used the clear background and used capital I to make ending marks, 25% divisions, and the point where it begins to flash at you. I had to play with the font size and kerning to get the right spacing but it has held up and been useful for about a year now. Merry Christmas guys.

IMG_6740.JPG

Motophyllic

I know how to check the hours and change from MPH to KPH. Are there any other functions those buttons perform?

John Lindemann

An alternative display would be great. Here’s what I would like in order of importance.
1: State of charge
2: hour meter
3: odometer
4: trip odometer
5: time of day (clock)
I’m guessing that there are Alta’s not in use because of the lack of a replacement display unit. Thanks in advance for all your efforts.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I’m guessing that there are Alta’s not in use because of the lack of a replacement display unit. Thanks in advance for all your efforts.

Its not due to lack of a replacement, its the requirement of having a display. One of the "features" the software team did at Alta was to require a display when turning on the bike (part of the entire CANbus of the vehicle). On going development is happening to create a "bypass"

Right now in development is an iteration on the original Alta display (using some pre-existing parts) which makes it way easier for the owner to repair there display in case of...anything happening to it.

To make a completely clean and new display - well thats a whole other can of worms.

John Lindemann

Anything that keeps these great bikes going will be great. I think I bought the last display Alta had as they folded. Can functions be added to the unused buttons on the OEM displays?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Anything that keeps these great bikes going will be great. I think I bought the last display Alta had as they folded. Can functions be added to the unused buttons on the OEM displays?

Unfortunately, they cannot be used since it requires firmware modification. But if the "bypass" works, in technical terms a way to make a new display is possible, but with the messages that already exist on the CAN bus.

snydes

Staff member
Just to reiterate this is in regards to a housing for existing raw boards, not an all new unit or a display vault. The problem we are working to solve is we have display boards available, but there are no housings for them in the event of a totally crunched display unit. I asked about how many owners regularly use their display buttons because we have a housing designed that is very robust and can be produced in low volumes. The one drawback to this design is that there will not be a convenient push button to access the hour meter or switch between kph/mph. More on this to come.

Motophyllic

Gotcha! When I saw that earlier post, I thought I was missing an added feature that I didn’t know about. Thanks, I’m gonna calculate my speed, curious where I’m at.

VINSANITY

For me the only reason I use the buttons is total hours but IMO don’t really need any of the buttons - I think the robust case idea is excellent