POLL - Have you had problems that required support from Alta Motors?

Have you had problems that required support from Alta Motors?

• No

• Yes, the problem would have prevented me from riding

• Yes, but I could have fixed it myself or with someone else's help

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
In fairness, Bionicman’s bike may have had a totally unrelated issue. His bike became totally unresponsive, which was the first and only case we heard of on here.
This may be accurate as I was informed the root of my issue was related to the 9v power supply within the PCM

schwankl

MXR 0364 - 550 mi (motominded had fixed - idk details) @MotoMinded care to share any info? ok if not - bike has been great for last 150mi
EXR 0169 - 2350 mi - had since july 28 - no issues except the inverter throttle fault - firmware fixed. Well kickstand hanger issue - I think once the hanger or bar gets damaged from a bad hanger, both need to be replaced. Also double-up on the loctite on the bolt keeping the kickstand bar tight - check every few days to make sure its tight and doesn't get loose enough to leverage / apply too much pressure to the tip of the stop on the hanger, that bends easy and will ruin the kickstand bar, which if not replaced with a new hanger will f-the new one easier (within a week in my case).

Matt Sanders

Same here with my EXR. I just did my 10 hour service, changed the 90cc of gear oil. Even though I knew how much gear oil the bike held, it still amazed me how little oil it actually is, especially when comparing to regular motorcycle oil changes. Went with Amsoil finest stuff rated for 100,000 miles. So it should be good for 100 hours. Also put a new Dirt Tricks Zirconium 52T sprocket on the rear, and a 12T up front. If my math serves me correctly, I gained about 6% of mechanical advantage to the rear wheel and lost 4MPH top speed. This should translate into having a couple of more miles of off road range for the type of riding I prefer and do. This may not sound like much of an increase, but it could be the potential difference in pushing my bike 2 miles to the truck, I will see what it translates into tomorrow for my real world comparison.
Just curious about this mod... How do you like it? Did it get you any additional mileage out of it?

Reactions: Rix

Fog 25

Mines # 295. Had the updated firmware updated next time out code 36 & 35 came up. Battery replacement. Road one time since battery replacement and no problems.

snydes

Staff member
Mines # 295. Had the updated firmware updated next time out code 36 & 35 came up. Battery replacement. Road one time since battery replacement and no problems.

Interesting you should mention that because that’s exactly what happened to mine as well, right after I had the firmware updated.

@datadog , was there changes to the firmware that would have made the bike more sensitive to these module imbalance issues?

snydes

Staff member
MX_1.5.1 (7/25/18)
- support for additional 65-degree throttles

MX 1.4.2 (6/5/18)
- improve battery imbalance check logic
- display warning for battery and module imbalance
- display warning when vehicle type is unknown/not configured
- minor bug fixes

MX 1.4.1 (5/9/18)
- minor improvements to rotor sensor calibration
- support for R charger

MX_1_3:
- display warning for battery cell imbalance
- improve battery fatal state reporting
- improve inverter handling of failed/intermitent temperature sensors and display warning
- warning for 9v starter battery near end of life
- use ACM drive-time hourmeter instead of BCU drive-time hourmeter
- minor bug fixes

Right there it is in MX 1.4.2, I should have checked that right off the bat.

Logically the problem was already there then before the update. The only thing I can say that I had noticed in my bike which seemed unusual was it seemed to take longer than normal at the end of charging, which I understand is when it balances the cells.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Right there it is in MX 1.4.2, I should have checked that right off the bat.

Logically the problem was already there then before the update. The only thing I can say that I had noticed in my bike which seemed unusual was it seemed to take longer than normal at the end of charging, which I understand is when it balances the cells.

Those last few posts are potentially good news for some of us. I've ridden over 200 miles and quite a few charge cycles since the latest 15.1 firmware update with no problems.

------- Installed firmware: Redshift_EX_1_2_1_RC1 Redshift_MX_1_5_1_RC1
------- This vehicle's firmware is currently up to date. A firmware update is not required at this time.

2019 EXR #0110. No problems.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Just curious about this mod... How do you like it? Did it get you any additional mileage out of it?
Hard to say Matt, I rode the same course for comparison, but I rode it backwards, so I had more hill climbing and less regen descents. All being said, I had exactly the same amount of battery left after the ride with the 21/52 as I did with the 13/53.

Drtjumper

I guess we will see what happens. It looks like I might be able to get my hands on one of the alta laptops from my dealer who has one. We will see and hopefully I wont need it.

Gertech

MRX #327, had code 36 and battery replaced. Bike had about 8 hours on it. No issues since, bike is now at 23 hours. I need to ride it more! We've had so much rain in the northeast this year.