Code 36 service required???

datadog

For those of you that have experienced Code 36, you need to visit your dealer. The dealer needs to transmit data first so we can solve the issue. It can be a battery issue, or possibly another cause. Please don't just have the dealer reset it. It will almost undoubtedly reappear. Once the repair is made, the code can be reset.

snydes

Staff member
what is code 36? did dealer or alta give any more info - that what happens when you launch 36m?
It’s a code that apparently always results in the battery needing replacement. The bike you got from Motominded allegedly got that code as well according to one of the old posts on the subject.

schwankl

It’s a code that apparently always results in the battery needing replacement. The bike you got from Motominded allegedly got that code as well according to one of the old posts on the subject.
ya saw that - works great now tho - first 20hr+ of me riding it - no issues ... amazing light (40w 5900lumen) they put on it. will post a thread on the wiring soon.

snydes

Staff member
It sounds like a fair amount of early MXR’s have experienced this issue. Wish it would have happened to me earlier this month when I had it at the dealer for firmware update and Alta was still operational...

Mark911

Sound like an out of range imbalance for at least one of the four cell modules. Particularly if the fix is a new pack.

A good BMS (so I assume Alta's as well) should actively balance each of the 21 parallel sets of 6 cells (126 cells) in each of the 4 modules. This occurs during charging and discharging. That means balancing a total of 84 parallel sets of 6 18650 Li-Ion batteries (cells). If, either as a set or at the module level, the voltages get out of spec it probably throws that code. Discharge, particularly during hard riding, will put the biggest strain on the balancing system as it is constantly shuffling current from the higher voltage sets to the lower ones to "pump them up".

The inability to maintain balance (out of normal range) can be due to a bad battery(s) within a particular set, an open/intermittent circuit (there's literally over 2000 wire bonds alone), or a problem in the balancing system itself.

Mfgs try to avoid bad batteries by properly testing and matching each before integration into the module but maybe some slipped by. Depending on the failure identifying the exact one(s) could be a pain without the proper diagnosis software. The PCBs can be inspected/tested for bad connections pretty easily. I suspect any "battery to board" issues could be fixed pretty easy. The biggest problem would be an issue with the components on the modules circuit board, although most are commercially available the flash data inside the individual micro controllers is not.

Just based on the percentages/numbers, I'd say a bad connection or two. That can be fixed in your garage.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Do you have any hypothesis as to the differences between the R and A battery pack?

I know the cells are different, but do you suppose there are any other physical differences between the two?

Reactions: Rix

snydes

Staff member
This is the response I got from Kevin at Alta asking the same question.
Kevin Burns (Alta Motors)
Oct 8, 13:52 MST

Hi Steve,

Code 35 and code 36 are not a result of user error while riding or charging. We have updated and improved our battery pack to all but eliminate these issues.

-Kevin

Oct 5, 16:23 MST

One could assume from that response that the problem was more of a design issue.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Do you have any hypothesis as to the differences between the R and A battery pack?

I know the cells are different, but do you suppose there are any other physical differences between the two?
My guess is, the "R" pack has different 18650 cells with a higher discharge C rating. If this is the case, it would make me wonder if the standard MX rated for 42HP is using the same electronics as the MXR which is rated for 50HP. My thinking is the MXR/EXR has a higher out put over the MX/EX due to less volt sag from the pack under full load. I am only guessing here, I have no idea if this is the case.