2019 NE 24hr Challenge July 20th & 21st 2019, Team AltaOwnersForum.com is Official!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Big question. Need Matt's experience on this one.....

I have a 26' Featherlite car trailer that we could use in the pits if there is enough room. It's longer than 30' with the tail gate open, but the man door can be used. I'll cut into our space significantly. If it rains, it'll be a god-send, if it's sunny and beautiful I feel it'll make us feel a bit cramped. Also, one of us will need to use their truck to move it to our pit area. My RV is not off road friendly.

It has a work bench and lights. It's nothing fancy but in shitty weather it's way better than a tent. Plus, we can toss a couple of cots in it and people can snooze.

snydes

Staff member
I also have about 20-25 lbs of lump charcoal left. Depending on the size of the grill that's probably 4 meals worth.

Our grill is a small propane unit. I have a hose to run off a 20lb. tank rather than those little 1 pounders. It’s been a long time since I’ve used charcoal! If someone has a portable charcoal grill we could certainly keep it going. I’m always hungry!

snydes

Staff member

I have a 26' Featherlite car trailer that we could use in the pits if there is enough room. It's longer than 30' with the tail gate open, but the man door can be used. I'll cut into our space significantly. If it rains, it'll be a god-send, if it's sunny and beautiful I feel it'll make us feel a bit cramped. Also, one of us will need to use their truck to move it to our pit area. My RV is not off road friendly.

It has a work bench and lights. It's nothing fancy but in shitty weather it's way better than a tent. Plus, we can toss a couple of cots in it and people can snooze.

Thinking about this... it would certainly be awesome if it’s raining, but I’m thinking it may not be practical with 5 bikes circulating constantly as it wouldn’t leave us much outside. I’m not sure how stingy they are with our designated pit area. We need our man with the experience to weight in.

Matt

E-Rider
A little whiteboard is helpful also. My team last year tracked lap times which is useful later in the race for estimating when someone should be coming through to have the next guy ready.

I think the trailer would be tight. You would have to get there pretty early to pull it in as once the pits start filling up it will be hard to maneuver. Our group of 2 teams and one iron man rider last year was the only team to have an RV/trailer in the Pits and we used tents for all of our equipment and bikes, but we had 2 team spots and 1 iron man spot to work with. I am trying to get out of work early on Friday so we can get a good spot. On the map I posted several pages back I pointed out where we want to be. An additional benefit to those spots is it is along the edge so you get some extra space. Tents were fine for the bikes and stuff though. It is hard to sleep in the pits because of the noise so most people go to the parking area to sleep. This is also where most of the RVs are located.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
A little whiteboard is helpful also. My team last year tracked lap times which is useful later in the race for estimating when someone should be coming through to have the next guy ready.

I think the trailer would be tight. You would have to get there pretty early to pull it in as once the pits start filling up it will be hard to maneuver. Our group of 2 teams and one iron man rider last year was the only team to have an RV/trailer in the Pits and we used tents for all of our equipment and bikes, but we had 2 team spots and 1 iron man spot to work with. I am trying to get out of work early on Friday so we can get a good spot. On the map I posted several pages back I pointed out where we want to be. An additional benefit to those spots is it is along the edge so you get some extra space. Tents were fine for the bikes and stuff though. It is hard to sleep in the pits because of the noise so most people go to the parking area to sleep. This is also where most of the RVs are located.

Ok. White board score 1, car trailer score 0

privateer703

AOF Addict
Matt, what was the pit area lighting situation last year? I know we should have at least something in case we need to work on a bike. I have a single bulb, clamp-on work light I will bring, but that won't do the job.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I have several 4' LED shop lights we can run off a small Honda EU1000 generator I will bring. We can use that for lights and charging the Task Racing lights, phones, laptops, etc.

wildman240

I can tow that with my Touareg (tdi). So that won't be an issue.

Matt

E-Rider
Matt, what was the pit area lighting situation last year? I know we should have at least something in case we need to work on a bike. I have a single bulb, clamp-on work light I will bring, but that won't do the job.
Last year we had our tent lit the whole night using generators. There is no/very little provided light from the event.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
In addition to everything in Snydes' list so far, I would suggest that everyone bring a good battery powered headlamp. It's a good item to keep in your CamelBak while on the course at night, plus they are very useful in the pits even with other flood lights.

snydes

Staff member
Ok, I will have a good headlamp that we can keep in the fanny pack that we use for the transponder (if that's what we decide on). Updated the list (page 19).

Matt

E-Rider
I have to work on Friday so I will likely be there Friday late afternoon. I can bring a fanny pack for the transponder and light if that is what we are going with.