2019 NE 24hr Challenge July 20th & 21st 2019, Team AltaOwnersForum.com is Official!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
B7EDE771-B25C-4D58-933C-C76A9061EBA6.png

Who's up for a 6 bike Alta team for the Northeast 24 Hour Challenge in western New York July 20th & 21st 2019? Plenty of time to gather equipment and make a plan!

Just to update the first post to save a lot of reading, our team consists of the following forum members:

Our team consists of the following:

@Philip
@snydes
@privateer703
@OneLapper
@wildman240
@Matt

We are team number 146 and entered in the Team Sportsman category.

snydes

Staff member
Did a quick search for a video, didn’t see anything official on the surface but this one looks like it might be a full lap...
I’ll check it out, as long as it’s not a rocky hell I’d probably be in, although I might be biting off more than I can chew considering I’ve never done one and now I’m potentially committing to two of them a month apart...:unsure:

snydes

Staff member
I just got done talking to a buddy of mine who knows some guys who have done this race. One thing which is going to be very important... you MUST REGISTER ASAP once they open registration. He thinks registration is in January, we would have to look into that. It sells out very quickly he claims.

teddyquinn

I just got done talking to a buddy of mine who knows some guys who have done this race. One thing which is going to be very important... you MUST REGISTER ASAP once they open registration. He thinks registration is in January, we would have to look into that. It sells out very quickly he claims.

Typically opens January 1. While it doesn't sellout in a day or anything, they're usually closed up within a month or so. One thing that I believe is true is they do allow for switching classes post entry, so the main thing is getting money / registration in to reserve a spot at the event.

I've been (borderline) infatuated with this event since I heard of it. I've tried to rally my dad to do it with me as a family duo event on our old Yamaha IT's - he's 61 and has a desire to ride the 50+ ironman (solo) on his '81 IT465! A team of all Alta's would definitely be fun and have the edge on a dead engine start - at this event, first rider of each class actually runs (~20 feet) to bike and then takes off. So long as conditions were OK, and the gearing was right, think you may be able to eek out 2 laps per rider (on a team of 6) before needing to pit. Fun part is, you'd be able to have a remote speaker playing pump of music or something during those lonely hours of the night haha.

snydes

Staff member
Typically opens January 1. While it doesn't sellout in a day or anything, they're usually closed up within a month or so. One thing that I believe is true is they do allow for switching classes post entry, so the main thing is getting money / registration in to reserve a spot at the event.

I've been (borderline) infatuated with this event since I heard of it. I've tried to rally my dad to do it with me as a family duo event on our old Yamaha IT's - he's 61 and has a desire to ride the 50+ ironman (solo) on his '81 IT465! A team of all Alta's would definitely be fun and have the edge on a dead engine start - at this event, first rider of each class actually runs (~20 feet) to bike and then takes off. So long as conditions were OK, and the gearing was right, think you may be able to eek out 2 laps per rider (on a team of 6) before needing to pit. Fun part is, you'd be able to have a remote speaker playing pump of music or something during those lonely hours of the night haha.

Does that mean you’re in?

MrTaskRacing

Who's up for a 6 bike Alta team for the Northeast 24 Hour Challenge in western New York July 2019? Plenty of time to gather equipment and make a plan!

I'm in!

Nice! and FYI --- This sign up usually opens up in early Jan, and is filled up by mid-late Jan. Last year there were close to 700 riders, so be on top of sign up, or they may get filled up. follow at www.arcadiabarkbusters.com , Cheers! Mark at Task Racing

snydes

Staff member
@Ben990 is a racer from that area...

@Emoto2577 @CK696 either of you guys willing to go north?

I suppose each group should also designate a team leader. Obviously someone with experience in the race (or similar events) would be the obvious choice.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
The rules for this event state "Up to Six Bikes" to make up a Team. So, less than that is not an issue. I would think the minimum number of Altas would be 4 if everyone has a rapid charger, 5 with the standard charger at 240.

snydes

Staff member
Bump back up for attention. Still need two more volunteers! Race isn't till July but we would need a commitment by January since this is a sell out event.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I'm sure we can find a couple more people by the signups in January. And hopefully someone would be willing to be an alternate.

I talked with Mark at Task Racing and he's excited about sponsoring our all Alta teams. I offered to bring my Alta over to his shop for him to look it over, see if the Aux Light harness can be used for anything. We should be able to make that happen this winter.

snydes

Staff member
I'm sure we can find a couple more people by the signups in January. And hopefully someone would be willing to be an alternate.

I talked with Mark at Task Racing and he's excited about sponsoring our all Alta teams. I offered to bring my Alta over to his shop for him to look it over, see if the Aux Light harness can be used for anything. We should be able to make that happen this winter.

That’s awesome! Mark has been really helpful and willing to help with this all Alta effort.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
The date for the 2019 event has been finalized. The race is July 20 & 21st 2019.

I think we still need a couple of Altas to round out the team. We might be able to get Duncan to join us, maybe. I haven't reached out to any other New England Alta owners that aren't on this forum. I think I can find a few.