2019 / 2020 wish list

bluefxstc

These are software only changes - when can we have Hill hold and reverse?
For reverse you should have a switch to select it, but we have an unused button on the map selector so that is easy or they could use one of the unused buttons on the display.

Probably also need a switch for hill hold, but you may be able to program it so that it is always live and doesn't adversely impact normal riding.

Not sure if any of the unused buttons are actually wired and usable, but if they are, there are solutions and you are correct it is just a programming/software issue.

gprix1

These are software only changes - when can we have Hill hold and reverse?
Whoahh hold on now, I hadn't even considered the possibility of reverse! That should be totally doable with an electric motor. I could think of situations where that would be really useful. Bring on the updates Alta :ricky:

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Probably also need a switch for hill hold, but you may be able to program it so that it is always live and doesn't adversely impact normal riding.
Not to make it sound too easy... for sure there are always many details to work out in advance of rolling it out to us hardcore critics :) Here are some ideas...

Hill hold: a couple ways to handle this... maybe Ty Tremaine should weigh in on what worked for him :)
Option 1) hill hold is always enabled when green light is on and motor is detected at zero speed, software triggers motor to hold rear tire in position. turn off ignition (red thumb switch) to let rear wheel spin free.
Option 2) enable above option from either a) the display, b) one of the maps, or c) the unused center map thumb switch
***bonus*** maybe make the green light hold solid while hill hold is active

Reverse: similar to above, I feel you'd need to ensure motor is detected at zero speed before you can enable Reverse.
Option 1) the only one that makes sense to me is using the unused center map thumb switch
***bonus*** maybe make the green light blink fast while reverse is active

What you all think?

snydes

Staff member
Not to make it sound too easy... for sure there are always many details to work out in advance of rolling it out to us hardcore critics :) Here are some ideas...

Hill hold: a couple ways to handle this... maybe @gprix1 should weigh in on what worked for him :)
Option 1) hill hold is always enabled when green light is on and motor is detected at zero speed, software triggers motor to hold rear tire in position. turn off ignition (red thumb switch) to let rear wheel spin free.
Option 2) enable above option from either a) the display, b) one of the maps, or c) the unused center map thumb switch
***bonus*** maybe make the green light hold solid while hill hold is active

Reverse: similar to above, I feel you'd need to ensure motor is detected at zero speed before you can enable Reverse.
Option 1) the only one that makes sense to me is using the unused center map thumb switch

What you all think?

All good thoughts.

Philip had the idea I liked best for activating a reverse which was utilizing the roll forward position on the throttle (if that was possible).

Scott

What about using the throttle to activate these features when turning the throttle backwards.
Reverse Mode
1) Turn throttle backwards (lets use the rollback issue to our advantage) to activate reverse - dash could blink to indicate in reverse.
2) And motor is detected at zero speed
3) Now turn the throttle normally to go in reverse. Would obviously have to limit the speed at which it can backup.

Hill Hold
1) And motor is detected at zero speed - dash could blink to indicate hill hold
2) Turn throttle backwards twice (lets use the rollback issue to our advantage) to activate hill hold
3) Turn throttle backwards once to release

Just a thought.

snydes

Staff member
What would be ideal is once Alta gives us an interface to be able to adjust maps, also give the option to customize controls to any one of these good ideas. Just like programming the controls of a video game.

gprix1

The throttle still works if it is turned in reverse. Roll it in reverse to go in reverse, if the bike is stationary.

Roll the throttle in reverse while at speed to increase engine braking.
My wife’s Volt has something like this. There is a max regen paddle on the back/left side of the steering wheel. We us it all the time on off-ramps, steep downhills, etc.

bluefxstc

The throttle still works if it is turned in reverse. Roll it in reverse to go in reverse, if the bike is stationary.

Roll the throttle in reverse while at speed to increase engine braking.
Worth a try, but not sure how well it would work in rough terrain. I shift down to map 1 (awesome that we can do that) when it is rough and slick to minimize will spin due to minor movements of the throttle. I normally ride in map 3 because I like the increased regen, but last weekend when riding on a fairly whooped out/slick trail I noticed I was getting a lot of wheel spin when the bumps caused my wrist to move. "Shifting" down to map 1 greatly reduced the wheel spin. I would be worried in rough terrain, going down hill, of suddenly going into reverse, if reverse or regen was controlled by moving the throttle backwards. Works good in a smooth car, just not sure how well it will work on a motorcycle off road.

gprix1

Worth a try, but not sure how well it would work in rough terrain. I shift down to map 1 (awesome that we can do that) when it is rough and slick to minimize will spin due to minor movements of the throttle. I normally ride in map 3 because I like the increased regen, but last weekend when riding on a fairly whooped out/slick trail I noticed I was getting a lot of wheel spin when the bumps caused my wrist to move. "Shifting" down to map 1 greatly reduced the wheel spin. I would be worried in rough terrain, going down hill, of suddenly going into reverse, if reverse or regen was controlled by moving the throttle backwards. Works good in a smooth car, just not sure how well it will work on a motorcycle off road.
This is easy to resolve by putting like a two second delay to “enable” reverse. Then it stays active for things like rocking the bike out of a hole and de-activates once you’re moving down the road again.

Speedkills

I so badly want to program in more virtual flywheel effect. I NEVER want reduced power, even in map one, give me all 50hp, eventually. But I may want map1 to deliver the power slow as hell, like an old air cooled 350F and when the wheel leaves the ground I may want it to spin up very slowly (or for MX I may want light switch control) but really, I never want reduced power, only reduced response.

Speedkills

What you all think?

User reported bug: When decelerating hard and sliding forward on the seat, if the rear wheel is locked up and the user inadvertently rolls the throttle forward while grabbing front brake the rear wheel starts spinning backwards :D

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
User reported bug: When decelerating hard and sliding forward on the seat, if the rear wheel is locked up and the user inadvertently rolls the throttle forward while grabbing front brake the rear wheel starts spinning backwards :D
LOL! That is a stretch. But Alta has a tri-axial accelerometer (and maybe even a gyro), so if need be, it is easy to tell what the bike is doing exactly.