2019 / 2020 wish list

teddyquinn

One thing that would be nice (and potentially help sway those on the fence) is a general assurance about backward compatibility should battery pack performance drastically improve. For instance, would be nice to buy an R redshift now, and know that - in a couple of years - if pack performance improves considerably, you could just buy the new pack and plug and play. Wouldn't want this consideration to hamstring Alta's development of the pack, but could also be nice to sort of know that early adopters are being considered along the pack development cycle.

snydes

Staff member
One thing that would be nice (and potentially help sway those on the fence) is a general assurance about backward compatibility should battery pack performance drastically improve. For instance, would be nice to buy an R redshift now, and know that - in a couple of years - if pack performance improves considerably, you could just buy the new pack and plug and play. Wouldn't want this consideration to hamstring Alta's development of the pack, but could also be nice to sort of know that early adopters are being considered along the pack development cycle.

It definitely would be nice, but I think realistically it won't happen. This is a cut and paste from a different conversation on the subject...
I was talking to the boys at Alta about this very thing today (we had a few conversations). I think it depends on what kind of improvements are made to the battery's moving forward. Something that can discharge faster or output more power in general will probably not be backwards compatible. This is one of the main reasons that the MX can not accept the MXR battery(wasn't designed to handle higher power output). If the improvement is in capacity, then its possible that we could potentially utilize that with older bikes. The guys at Alta said that if its possible to be backwards compatible, it will be... That's all assuming its not a totally new type of battery. That would at the very least require a totally different charging system... So... IMO (for what its worth), Its not looking good for backwards compatibility. :cry:

-Electro

bluefxstc

Would be cool to see a reverse gear type setting. Can a simple reverse polarity of the motor be programmed?
Yes, most current electric cars don't have a transmission, just a reduction gear box. They go in reverse by reversing the motor rotation direction and electronically limiting the speed. I am not sure of the programming necessary to accomplish, but I don't think it is that complex.

metallic88

Yep. Marc the honcho said that the forward rolling throttle can be programmed to activate the reverse. That's fine, but when in motion I would like it to increase the regen braking instead, so that I could brake slide and back it into flat turns like a supermoto pro!
I would like that also, but it'd be nice to have that and then if your stuck on a hill you could push the center button on the selector and have reverse to get it unstuck its not the same trying to get the alta unstuck as a gas bike usually have to lift the alta out since it doesnt like to roll that well in reverse.

Oded

I actually use the fastway pegs in their lowboy position. It is more convenient since I am tall (1.9m), but ground clearance is an issue with this bike.