2019 / 2020 wish list

rayivers

This was kind of a tradition at the EMF forum, and since Alta really values owner input it's like one-stop-shopping for them. I did 2 years since the EXR's already in the pipe.

My list:

Model-specific owner's & parts manuals (online is fine)
Modular hot-swap batteries, like the Zero FX (mine weighs 228 lbs w/one 2.8 or 3.6kWh battery). A 4.0 battery option using the existing case would be ideal for me.
Adjustable-length rear shock or similar (to adjust fork rake & seat height)
Less regen, all maps
User-customizable maps (regen adjust + power reduction like Zero would be OK)
Quicker-response throttle curves (mfr Hirschmann may have these available?)
Higher bars
Chain roller(s)
2.50" rear and 1.85" front rims

That's about it. For my needs, the bike rocks as delivered.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would like concaved (not convexed) shrouds. Make them compatible with older models.

A higher ground clearance and higher footpegs. Altas drag foot pegs in the ruts where all other bikes glide freely. Also, it will be safer for the feet.

User customizable maps, of course.

Hot swappable batteries, that can be swapped by the rider quickly. A standalone charging controller to charge spare batteries separately, without installing them back in the bike.

gprix1

#1 - hot-swap battery. This in my opinion needs to be made their top priority.
#2 - User customizable maps. I could see this leading to a map exchange section on the forums.
#3 - Narrower (concave like Philip said) shrouds. They really almost could go away completely but it might look weird.
#4 - Larger and less bulbous shaped side number plates so we can run numbers you can easily read.
#5 - A lap timer that when enabled you press the center button on the map switch each lap.

Oded

- tunable maps by the user
- ability to update the fw from the computer
- higher ground clearance, definately

Fog 25

Tunable maps most likely wouldn’t happen. If Alta made them turntable for the general public most likely wouldn’t be much of a change from stock. They can’t have us Ya-hoos out there going to the extremes causing possible failure everyone would blame it on the bike and not the Ya-hoo.

1- Parts schematic
2- Firmware updates on WFI
1 & 2 (not everyone has a dealer near them)
3- More ground clearance
4- Better Stock valving settings in forks and shock
5- Thinner shrouds ( was one of the main comments from other riders that tried to bike)

Oded

Tunable maps most likely wouldn’t happen. If Alta made them turntable for the general public most likely wouldn’t be much of a change from stock. They can’t have us Ya-hoos out there going to the extremes causing possible failure everyone would blame it on the bike and not the Ya-hoo.

1- Parts schematic
2- Firmware updates on WFI
1 & 2 (not everyone has a dealer near them)
3- More ground clearance
4- Better Stock valving settings in forks and shock
5- Thinner shrouds ( was one of the main comments from other riders that tried to bike)

The tunable maps will be confined to reasonable limits. Works well for the Zero range of electric motorcycles (parameters are user tunable via smartphone app). Don't see a reason why Alta can't provide such feature.

Duncan

All the above, plus:
Resettable odometer - at least on the EX
LED lights on the EX
Tuck in kickstand better on the EX so doesn't compete with heel
Put coolant pump on a thermostat
Rim locks on the EX (looks like the EXR gets one in the rear)
Alta Hard Parts Catalog including things such as tall seat
Concentric swing arm pivot and counter shaft
Titanium and magnesium wherever possible to help shave weight

Speedkills

Ability to charge from publically available electric car chargers. I want to go for longer rides.
Probably not realistic, but how cool would it be if it would slot into the subframe so I could leave it off when I don’t want to carry it around, and click it in place when I want to be able to charge.
User hackable firmware (yeah, I know, never happen, but a dev can dream) OR
Don’t make me sit in the dealer for an hour while my firmware is updated, at least let me do it at home.
Tunable AND shareable maps.
Smarter handling of free wheel accelleration. I don’t want my wheel accellerating wildly when I bounce off of the ground or hit a slick spot.
Smarter computer. This is a next gen bike, make it feel that way a little more by having a computer with lap timer, average speed, top speed, upload ride stats to my phone over bluetooth.
A stretch but a way to mount an auxillary battery would be awesome. I realize it would push the weight closer to 300lbs but for longer rides I would love to be able to slap on an auxillary battery pack and stiffen my suspension (that subframe area is looking pretty empty) but I realize due to no good cooling solution that may be difficult to pull off. Still, as someone who used to love to do 60-80mile off road rides and always bought a big gas tank and often carried fuel bottles in my backpack, the short range is pretty limiting.
Electric left hand rear brake without losing the hydraulic foot brake.

allesad

Ability to merge/integrate your cell phone as the slave computer for the bike. Everyone has an old smartphone. Why not leverage it as a dedicated SPEEDO/NAV for your ALTA? Would sip power from the 5.8KW pack (of course).

allesad

Ability to charge from publically available electric car chargers. I want to go for longer rides.
Probably not realistic, but how cool would it be if it would slot into the subframe so I could leave it off when I don’t want to carry it around, and click it in place when I want to be able to charge.
User hackable firmware (yeah, I know, never happen, but a dev can dream) OR
Don’t make me sit in the dealer for an hour while my firmware is updated, at least let me do it at home.
Tunable AND shareable maps.
Smarter handling of free wheel accelleration. I don’t want my wheel accellerating wildly when I bounce off of the ground or hit a slick spot.
Smarter computer. This is a next gen bike, make it feel that way a little more by having a computer with lap timer, average speed, top speed, upload ride stats to my phone over bluetooth.
A stretch but a way to mount an auxillary battery would be awesome. I realize it would push the weight closer to 300lbs but for longer rides I would love to be able to slap on an auxillary battery pack and stiffen my suspension (that subframe area is looking pretty empty) but I realize due to no good cooling solution that may be difficult to pull off. Still, as someone who used to love to do 60-80mile off road rides and always bought a big gas tank and often carried fuel bottles in my backpack, the short range is pretty limiting.
Electric left hand rear brake without losing the hydraulic foot brake.

AUXILIARY Power Pack could fit under the seat near the rear shock (in the open space)...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Just for the record, I do not want that on MX bikes. Being able to spin up the rear wheel quickly when up in the air saved my derriere more than once already, when I got kicked by a kicker on the face of a jump.

snydes

Staff member
Just for the record, I do not want that on MX bikes. Being able to spin up the rear wheel quickly when up in the air saved my derriere more than once already, when I got kicked by a kicker on the face of a jump.

EXCELLENT point! That feature would be a big no-no for MX applications.

Speedkills

I think we have different ideas of “smarter” handling of free wheel accelleration. To me if someone quickly twists the throttle in a low traction situation they want to spin up the rear wheel quickly, a panic rev, blow some mud off the rear tire, pivot around a corner, but if they have a near constant throttle and traction goes away intermittently, say in a corner when they don’t crack the throttle they may not be wanting to spin the rear tire up. Smarter implies smarts at all, such as the fact that I would expect it to be enabled only in a traction mode, not mid-air in a jump (which is super easy to detect with a cheap motion sensor like a fitbit or your smartphone has), and the fact that you may want some spin, but not uncontrolled spin. Dirt track racers for example want rear wheel spin, but a specific amount. A popular cheat in the dirt tracking community is a traction control mod that is installed in the ignition box, when it detects motor revs under load going up more quickly than desired it retards timing slighty, not killing power, just reigning it in a bit.

I too like a good panic rev when needed, at the two ideas are not at all in conflict.