Broken display - solution?

WoodsWeapon

I dont know if it helps or means anything, but when datadog replaced the battery on my MX, the hours reset to zero on the display, but the mileage stayed the same.

datadog

We changed that after that replacement. Hours and miles are now recorded in the ACM.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
@datadog Can the display be disconnected and reconnected without any reprogramming? (Same bike)
I’am thinking of moving it to a safer location.
If you jus mean disconing the wire behind the number plate, you will be fine. I'm trying to think of a spot to relocate my dash where it will be more out of harms way as well, but the trick seems to be making it at least relatively easy to still see.

Speedkills

I haven't dug into my wiring yet but has anyone identified a place we can plugin a can bus sniffer to reverse the command protocol from the display?

Fog 25

If you jus mean disconing the wire behind the number plate, you will be fine. I'm trying to think of a spot to relocate my dash where it will be more out of harms way as well, but the trick seems to be making it at least relatively easy to still see.
I’am thinking under the seat behind the shock. I don’t look at it when out riding. To old and slow to check it with my eyes. Only check it when chargeing.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
I’am thinking under the seat behind the shock. I don’t look at it when out riding. To old and slow to check it with my eyes. Only check it when chargeing.
I've thought of that area too. The thing that stops me there is I don't like the options for mounting points. I am thinking about taking the board out and maybe making a new box for it, but I'm not into opening my dash without a readily available replacement.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
How about using a handlebar with a cross bar? Shouldn't the crossbar somewhat protect the display? I would think at least more so than the fatbar that comes stock.
I do not know if it is out there, but adding a crossbar to the fatbars. Anything is better than nothing...

* Disclaimer: I have not fondled that area of the bike!

snydes

Staff member
@Philip has these and he says the display just about fits right in between.

1541469820190-png.1394

Speedkills

I love flexx bars on my old cr500 but haven't bothered on my EXR because there is no vibration and the suspension works so well now. Not a bad idea though.

Ilana Evelyn

Do you think we can replace the LCD display while leaving the display drivers alone to avoid the firmware issue or is it one integrated module?

@Oded, does the bike still work? I thoght I read somewhere that without the display the bike wouldn't work.
It works. And so does the display backlight. It's just cracked

Ilana Evelyn

So sad now after reading all this. The bike mentioned in the topic is mine.. had no idea it would be such a big deal to get a new lcd.
Right now I'm riding with no battery indicator. And ideas how to check battery life without the speedometer? Or at least know when it's time to go back so I don't get stuck with no battery? BTW, did anyone ever get to the point of no charge left? When my screen was working it would show zero battery but when I would turn the bike off and on again the battery showed more than a courter full..

Ultratoad

Some guys who strip down motorycles for cafe use small bicycle GPS computers that mount to the handlebars. This would give you speed and distance and a clue as to how much battery you have left.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You can also install some trip meter app on your phone.

Hope you have been keeping track what maximum distance you were able to go when riding your local trails. I think it is 35+ (??) miles of leisurely off-road riding for most guys around here: How Far Have You Gone?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Using mileage as a battery gauge can be risky, how hard you are riding can drastically alter your range... Under ideal circumstances I can get about 40miles to charge, but just yesterday I was riding with my brother in law and managed to drain an entire charge in less than 10 miles.

But with some practice and being aware of power use, range is better than letting the bike sit and waste away unused.

bluefxstc

If someone has a display that no longer works we can pull in apart to see if the display is replaceable. I wouldn't want to try it on a display that still functions enough to allow the bike to operate, as it may not operate after the display is removed, but for one that doesn't work we can experiment without damaging anything. If we can non destructively remove the display from the PCB we can see if there are part numbers and determine if it is a commercially available part. If the display is available, then replacing it doesn't seem that difficult if you have the right equipment/tools.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
If we can non destructively remove the display from the PCB we can see if there are part numbers and determine if it is a commercially available part. If the display is available, then replacing it doesn't seem that difficult if you have the right equipment/tools.
Looks like these two guys with such displays have tried this already.
The LCD itself is cracked. I did take it apart and it has Alta printed all over the board so there’s nothing generic about it or any clue of who may have made it for Alta.
Can anyone recognize that pyramid-looking "SC" logo?

@SuburbanDad -- Would you be able to separate the LCD and take a look at the back side of it?