Varg broken out of the box Red light constant

chrismx72

Hi All,

First time using the forum didn't realize you had this community, thanks to whoever started this up. Hopefully sharing issues and solutions will help the E mx community grow.

Anyway bit of back ground, iv raced MX in the UK since i was 9 years old at various levels, best was in the British championships. Since iv got old and now have responsibilities i no longer race bikes (just play) and race Polaris UTV's instead.
Iv been a E bike owner for 4/5 years, starting my journey with the KTM Freeride E which "did the job" . Iv been on the deposit waiting list for a varg pretty much since they announced it about 3 years ago.

Issues started yesterday. Received the bike on Friday in a pallet. Saturday got it built. Didn't charge it was i was so keen to try it out, it had 30%+ of charge so i done 10-15 mins slow riding. Decided to come in, put it on charge, get my full MX kit on and have some food. I returned to the bike, turned charger off as it was up to 57%. Pulled the bike out of the garage, started it (turned it on) engaged drive and done a few steady laps then i began to give it hell. Bike cut out. Restarted it and it all seemed ok, but then it cut out again, again and again. To the point it was unrideable. I decided to put it back in the garage and give it a full charge to 100%. whilst waiting a couple of hours for it to charge i done some research and found that it could need a software update, so i done this by following the youtube video. Got up this morning hoping that the software update fixed the issue. Bike fired up and done a lap. then cut out again, but this time it cut out and wouldnt restart. i have a solid red light on the control module on the handle bars. Iv stripped the plastics to double check all plugs and connectors are all the way home. No issues.

Firstly has anyone else experienced this problem? Iv gone through the troubleshooting document on the Stark website but it says (contact dealer) when it shows a solid red light.

To say im gutted is understatement, the machine is so well built, so fast, handles so well but i cant remove the fact that iv done less than 30 mins riding and its already pooped its self.

any help or advice would be appreciated.

mike61

Send a (the text above) note to the Starkfuture support.
They are really quick and helpful.
They can have a look "into" your bike and in the best case they can fix it.

Foss

With the new firmware update today, I experienced a solid red light after a few laps. Just emailed stark to see if they can check the logging. No hijacking the thread, there might be an issue with the recent firmware update; just throwing it out there.

If a hard restart doesn’t address the issue holding both (+) and (-) for 20s or so (quick white light). Try this as a last resort.

1. Remove the spoiler assembly
  2. Disconnect the CAN BUS connector from the battery (black round connector on the right side of the battery)
  3. While pressing the power button, reconnect the CAN BUS connector and release the power button within 3 seconds.
  4. The bike should turn ON

jh151

I updated my bike yesterday, everything worked great, took it out today and it died after 2 minutes. My phone said it also needed to update right there on the track. I updated my phone and never had another issue. Not sure if it's related to you guys at all, just letting you know what happened in case it helps!

chrismx72

Thanks for your replies. Foss, I’ll give your technique a blast. I emailed stark and whatsapped them yesterday but it was sunday so i dont expect a response until today for answer.
Makes me wondeer why the manual dorsnt explain “hard reset” advice. Your information is really handy thanks.

Foss

Thanks for your replies. Foss, I’ll give your technique a blast. I emailed stark and whatsapped them yesterday but it was sunday so i dont expect a response until today for answer.
Makes me wondeer why the manual dorsnt explain “hard reset” advice. Your information is really handy thanks.
No problem man!

But FWIW, I have discovered a new occurrence of solid red lights on my bike which has never happened before. The only new variable I have introduced to my bike is the very recent firmware upgrade. My suspicion is the upgrade has a bug within the code. As of right now the red like appears the trigger as soon as I let off of the throttle at random times. So far only two times yesterday with high battery percentages.

I am working with stark to troubleshoot the new issue and hopefully replicate it on their end.

chrismx72

No problem man!

But FWIW, I have discovered a new occurrence of solid red lights on my bike which has never happened before. The only new variable I have introduced to my bike is the very recent firmware upgrade. My suspicion is the upgrade has a bug within the code. As of right now the red like appears the trigger as soon as I let off of the throttle at random times. So far only two times yesterday with high battery percentages.

I am working with stark to troubleshoot the new issue and hopefully replicate it on their end.
Foss,

Stark got back in touch with me this morning and have said that they should have a answer for me by the end of business today. I agree with you, im a mechanical minded person so electrics seem to be above my head at times but with desperation i tried everything to get this red light to go out, it did seem like it was relating to throttle position. when building my bike on saturday morning i do remember looking at the throttle cables and thinking "they look kinked" as they go through the triple clamp into the little black trianugular box on the head stock. But maybe thats just a freak coincidence that i happen to open up my brand new bike and poor firmware was reinstalled. the bike was cutting out before i did a update.
I just hope its sorted quickly, iv waited long enough for the bike.

Foss

Foss,

Stark got back in touch with me this morning and have said that they should have a answer for me by the end of business today. I agree with you, im a mechanical minded person so electrics seem to be above my head at times but with desperation i tried everything to get this red light to go out, it did seem like it was relating to throttle position. when building my bike on saturday morning i do remember looking at the throttle cables and thinking "they look kinked" as they go through the triple clamp into the little black trianugular box on the head stock. But maybe thats just a freak coincidence that i happen to open up my brand new bike and poor firmware was reinstalled. the bike was cutting out before i did a update.
I just hope its sorted quickly, iv waited long enough for the bike.
Heads up, I just noticed the magenta flashing light just now indicating another firmware update. I am currently upgrading the bike as we speak. Hopefully this resolves any issues.

chrismx72

Heads up, I just noticed the magenta flashing light just now indicating another firmware update. I am currently upgrading the bike as we speak. Hopefully this resolves any issues.
Foss,
you might be able to advise a bit here,

Stark have finally got back in touch with me and said ...
"weve detected a issue with your bikes software. The team was able to launch a quick fix. please update your bike as soon as possible. you should see it blinking purple the next time you power it on."

When i power the bike up it turns on, you can hear the water pump flowing but the LED indictor just stays red. there is no purple light just solid red. Iv held the +- buttons for 12 seconds or longer and absolutely nothing happens.

My god im getting annoyed now. 2 days for a reply, the reply doesnt even work. Iv asked them to call but they cant. £11k iv spent on a machine thats a paperweight at the moment.

Foss

With the new firmware update today, I experienced a solid red light after a few laps. Just emailed stark to see if they can check the logging. No hijacking the thread, there might be an issue with the recent firmware update; just throwing it out there.

If a hard restart doesn’t address the issue holding both (+) and (-) for 20s or so (quick white light). Try this as a last resort.

1. Remove the spoiler assembly
  2. Disconnect the CAN BUS connector from the battery (black round connector on the right side of the battery)
  3. While pressing the power button, reconnect the CAN BUS connector and release the power button within 3 seconds.
  4. The bike should turn ON
So you have tried both methods mentioned above? Hold for 20s maybe even longer 30s would cycle the bike as a hard reset. If that does not work removing the CAN BUS connector should be a more aggressive hard reset but should do the trick.

If all fails I’d resort to the shop who sold you the bike and have them further troubleshoot the issue with stark.

MadpdXabbott

after slow charging my bike this morning I seen the Update light flashing purple too. followed the video directions and had no problems. bike shut down.

I would suggest after a hard reset/power down, with phone on in cradle press RED button "power on" till blinking red light flashes STOP! WAIT 20-30 Minutes. Press red button see if you have flashing green or purple. update from there if needed. Never go to the dealer they know nothing, in my experience. Call or email STARK. stay calm go slow follow directions. its easy. really people.

Reactions: RJS

Foss

I only suggested the dealer because IF the OP needs a new VCU, Battery, or Motor (which hopefully is not the case) I would think Stark would want the dealer to install these expensive and more intensive parts. Unless the OP is up for a challenge. A new motor is nearly taking apart the entire bike, not saying he needs one but who knows?

chrismx72

after slow charging my bike this morning I seen the Update light flashing purple too. followed the video directions and had no problems. bike shut down.

I would suggest after a hard reset/power down, with phone on in cradle press RED button "power on" till blinking red light flashes STOP! WAIT 20-30 Minutes. Press red button see if you have flashing green or purple. update from there if needed. Never go to the dealer they know nothing, in my experience. Call or email STARK. stay calm go slow follow directions. its easy. really people.
Thanks ever so much for your input here, "stay calm go slow, follow directions, Its easy. Really people".
Im sure it is easy when your machine arrives, you build it and you ride it with no problems. But when you have received the bike, ridden it for only 30 mins after waiting nearly 2 years and then it just fails and no matter what you try it just doesn't respond you do tend to start getting a little irate and start to loose your cool.

So, furthermore i have tried all of the above you and Foss have mentioned and still i have a solid red light on.

the only time the purple or yellow light flash is for about 1 second after i have initially started the bike by the "red power on" button.

When holding both the +- buttons for 20,30,40 seconds nothing happens it just continues to hold the red light constant.

The only way i am seeing any kind of "reset" is by holding all three buttons together then i do see a white light and it powers up but then goes straight back to the constant red light.

I have just tried the CAN BUS connector trick still nothing.

I cannot take it back to the dealer because i didnt buy it from a dealer i purchased it direct from stark, i was one of the people who gave a deposit over 2 years ago. I do have a chap who is a stark dealer not far but he wasn't open Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. so they are my next port of call tomorrow.

Dont get me wrong, as iv said above, what a awesome machine but taking 2 days to respond, the responses are pretty vague with no further input like a phone call or video call etc. I get they are a new start up business but it is leaving a bitter taste. i have got more information from this forum than i have from the manufacturer which in my eyes isnt good service. A phone call is the least they can do.

Thank you all for your help it is really appreciated.

Foss

One last attempt, try reseeding all the connections in the black box attached the the triple clamp. There should be 3 connectors, unclip all and reseed them. Make sure they are plugged in their respected spot.

@0:24 in the video, inspect those 3 clips and make sure they are seeded strong in their respected place. See if all the leads are not bent and making a strong contact. Inspect the wires in that area also.

chrismx72

Foss,

I have tried this, but iv gone for it again.

Originally i did wonder if the throttle cable & connector was the issue. When installing it from the box I did think to my self “that looks kinked!” But i plugged it in and it worked.

See below photo of it right now after I removed it from the box & triple clamp.

I personally thought from the start of this problem it might be the throttle cable. But then the email today stated that it was a software issue . IMG_6460.jpeg

Foss

Foss,

I have tried this, but iv gone for it again.

Originally i did wonder if the throttle cable & connector was the issue. When installing it from the box I did think to my self “that looks kinked!” But i plugged it in and it worked.

See below photo of it right now after I removed it from the box & triple clamp.

I personally thought from the start of this problem it might be the throttle cable. But then the email today stated that it was a software issue . View attachment 11136
Man I thought that would do it! This sucks, but I am going to guess stark is going to send you a new VCU. Hopefully they have them in stock and the shipping is usually a couple days.

MadpdXabbott

Thanks ever so much for your input here, "stay calm go slow, follow directions, Its easy. Really people".
Im sure it is easy when your machine arrives, you build it and you ride it with no problems. But when you have received the bike, ridden it for only 30 mins after waiting nearly 2 years and then it just fails and no matter what you try it just doesn't respond you do tend to start getting a little irate and start to loose your cool.

So, furthermore i have tried all of the above you and Foss have mentioned and still i have a solid red light on.

the only time the purple or yellow light flash is for about 1 second after i have initially started the bike by the "red power on" button.

When holding both the +- buttons for 20,30,40 seconds nothing happens it just continues to hold the red light constant.

The only way i am seeing any kind of "reset" is by holding all three buttons together then i do see a white light and it powers up but then goes straight back to the constant red light.

I have just tried the CAN BUS connector trick still nothing.

I cannot take it back to the dealer because i didnt buy it from a dealer i purchased it direct from stark, i was one of the people who gave a deposit over 2 years ago. I do have a chap who is a stark dealer not far but he wasn't open Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. so they are my next port of call tomorrow.

Dont get me wrong, as iv said above, what a awesome machine but taking 2 days to respond, the responses are pretty vague with no further input like a phone call or video call etc. I get they are a new start up business but it is leaving a bitter taste. i have got more information from this forum than i have from the manufacturer which in my eyes isnt good service. A phone call is the least they can do.

Thank you all for your help it is really appreciated.
sorry about the go slow easy stuff, I thought your problems were over and just needed and update. I feel your frustration I waited 2 years also.

Theo

Sorry for your understandable disappointment.
I've noticed that, if an update is available, it takes some minutes before you see it and also that, with the latest versions of the app, there is a popup on the phone for the update.
Have you tried keeping the bike turned on, even with that steady red light, with the phone on and running the app and keeping both the phone and the bike in a place where there is 4G reception, for at least 15 or 30 minutes?

chrismx72

Sorry for your understandable disappointment.
I've noticed that, if an update is available, it takes some minutes before you see it and also that, with the latest versions of the app, there is a popup on the phone for the update.
Have you tried keeping the bike turned on, even with that steady red light, with the phone on and running the app and keeping both the phone and the bike in a place where there is 4G reception, for at least 15 or 30 minutes?
Theo,

thanks for your input, i now have the bike in my lounge so i can sit and try every option thrown at me, iv charged the phone to 100% the bike was at 100% but is now at around 95%, iv left the bike on, in 4g / Wi-Fi for well over a hour and absolutely nothing changes other than the redlight is still constantly illuminated.

This morning i have been in touch with my local Stark dealer, to be honest MadPDxAbbott was correct in the fact that the dealers cant really do anything. I do feel sorry for them because they are now getting people like me calling them with problems but they did not purchase the bike from them, stark have given them absolutely no tooling, no diag equipment, no backing for advice to the dealers. Stark have stated that they will deal with any issues with customers bikes directly (but then they dont have enough staff to respond quickly, or have a simple phone call) . The dealers literally just sell the bikes and thats it.

My local stark dealer is a "electric bike dealer" for various other manufacturers so although he doesn't really know a lot about Stark he does know more than a mechanical mind like me. He has another Stark in his shop which is a Demo bike hes happy to swap the throttle assembly over just to begin a process of elimination to help me out. nice chap

Starks reply this morning was barely adequate. literally just continuing to tell me to hard reset the bike which iv done about 50x .

I really hope im being stupid and there is something so basic iv done wrong

Foss

The only thing I can think of, is the solid red light is a normal sequence behavior all stark owners experience. When we turn our bikes off holding the power button or plugging the bike in to charge and turning it off to remove the cable. We all hear this ‘click’ which to me it some sort of relay switch which completes this circuit to allow flow of power (I hear the same switch on my Tesla wall mount).

I am curious if you hear this click? I wonder if this has failed or is stuck. Which doesn’t help you because I have no idea where to look and fix it. But it may help explain to Stark what is going on.

My thought is it cannot detect that engaged switch so it cannot move to the next sequence of steps?? But if you can hear that ‘click’ then i am still stumped.