BAD NEWS

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Looks like KTM is doing just fine on their own E Program with announcement of their 50cc equivalent today - that pipe dream seems a little short sided.

KTM and Husky announced plans to release an electric minibike back in 2017 i believe. I agree that the timing of the release is quite suspicious, though.

SuburbanDad

Can we get the 3 folks with wrecked displays to post up details on their respective crashes please? That way we can come up with a best design for a protective case with some sort of additional protection for the display screen part. @datadog - I think that most of the Alta owners on here would go into a group buy for you if you want to propose a CNC casing with a PayPal or Venmo address to send cash into. To protect you, no work will be initiated until a comfortable number of units is prepaid for.
I'm a big proponent of PM (preventive maintenance). A source for throttle housings/barrels/assemblies is next.
I have not been watching this thread for a while, but catching up this morning.

My crash involved looping the bike, with the full weight of the crash landing on the display. It was completely f*d. Those that just managed to lose their lcd are lucky. If the unit is totally smashed, the bike will not do *anything*. Won't turn on, won't move, won't charge - nada. I pulled the canbus connector and removed the display, but without it, the bike is just as dead.

Be careful with your displays.

Oded

So for those with broken LCDs, we need to find the source for them. Those who did a thorough job will need the whole display, including the firmware update for it.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Sounds like the display is very critical to operation. Also I assume if you smash yours then lucky enough to source replacement you’d need the factory laptop to “reprogram” to return motorcycle operations??

privateer703

AOF Addict
SuburbanDad, is the display unit intact enough to see how it was made? Even if it doesn't work, at least a look at the board inside might give us an idea as to what functions it really has and since yours has to be removed anyway, might be a nice time to get some photos of the inside. Autopsy time!

SuburbanDad

SuburbanDad, is the display unit intact enough to see how it was made? Even if it doesn't work, at least a look at the board inside might give us an idea as to what functions it really has and since yours has to be removed anyway, might be a nice time to get some photos of the inside. Autopsy time!
I will post pics of the remnants to one of the new 'diy fix' subs. I held onto it in hopes I could salvage the canbus connector to make a 'display termination plug'. The engineers at Alta that I spoke to were surprised the display getting crushed disabled the bike, so it may be that the bike works as long as its canbus is properly terminated...

banned

We are attempting to place an order for parts today. Please feel free to message me and I can place you an order as well. Unfortunately not sure if the items will show or what they've got left in stock.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
Can plastic replacement parts like the fenders and shrouds be purchased directly from Acerbis?

Not at this time.

Fork guards, front fender & front number plate can be had because they are used from other machines.

The rest of the plastic is Alta specific and can only be had from Alta, and not available from Acerbis, at this time.

If Alta goes belly up, we the Alta owners, assume the plastic will be made available on the open market.

Drtjumper

Not at this time.

Fork guards, front fender & front number plate can be had because they are used from other machines.

The rest of the plastic is Alta specific and can only be had from Alta, and not available from Acerbis, at this time.

If Alta goes belly up, we the Alta owners, assume the plastic will be made available on the open market.
That's probably not going to happen due to the small number of Altas out there. It probably isnt cost effective to create new molds etc if someone other than acerbis does it. I contacted acerbis a week ago and they didnt sound the least bit interested in providing plastics.

schwankl

While we wait for whatever red-lining alta's founders, execs and lawyers are going thru to finish - damn its been >3weeks already... people are starting to hoard or get scared and sell everything. I am hoping we can eventually get some vendor support - ie group buy minimal count orders from their vendors. I am sure acerbis/most vendors don't want to deal with count: 1, but count: 50 they might. This really comes down to who owns the IP and whats next. Damn this limbo sucks, i'm going riding.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
While we wait for whatever red-lining alta's founders, execs and lawyers are going thru to finish - damn its been >3weeks already... people are starting to hoard or get scared and sell everything. I am hoping we can eventually get some vendor support - ie group buy minimal count orders from their vendors. I am sure acerbis/most vendors don't want to deal with count: 1, but count: 50 they might. This really comes down to who owns the IP and whats next. Damn this limbo sucks, i'm going riding.
I think for the most part, the folks on this forum wont be panic shopping, but maybe I am wrong. I am with you, if we can get Acerbis for better skid plates, rear fender quarter panel, radiator shrouds, stuff like that, and TM Design to build a better chain slider around the front portion of the swingarm, I would group buy into that right now. I wonder if we got say 100-200 Alta Owners in on this if that would be enough?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Folks with vintage bikes have been solving availability issues forever. The Alta will be easier. No worries. We have the coolest dirtbikes on earth.
True. Just need to simplify the battery repair/replacement. It's not like the old bikes -- pour in gas and go. The batteries have to be in a good shape. Else the bike will be like an old laptop, and most of us own several of those.