BAD NEWS

privateer703

AOF Addict
So let's just say, hypothetically, the worst happens and Alta announces real bad news. How does all remaining parts, tools, and equipment get liquidated? I've never researched what happens to company property if it goes belly up. Would there be an auction or some type of sale for banks/investors to recoup money? You see where I'm going with this..

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
First Alta would have to declare a bankruptcy -- perhaps Chapter 11. Downsize and re-open on a much smaller scale. Would they still be able to operate and be profitable?

Chapters 7, if they do not have a recovery plan.

Banks and investors may buy the asserts at the auction, but I do not think these assets would be worth much if they sell them piece-by-piece. It would be nice if someone who could operate them gets them. Like former employees. Maybe owners who have the qualifications???

Maybe a class action is a good idea, before they declare a bankruptcy.

dgedition

This thread is getting less & less optimistic each passing day..

Looking through PACER I haven't seen any filings. I wouldn't be surprised if some lawyer somewhere has a class action suit worked up ready to go.

I did give the Alta a quick spin Sunday and had a ton of fun, hopefully the pieces will get picked up by someone to provide service on these bikes. It will be a long road though.

snydes

Staff member
Just looking into federal law and from an initial glance (probably wrong), I believe it suggests that if a manufacture offers a warrantee on specific parts they must comply for a set period of time, less than 5 years probably. If they cannot comply they must either provide a new vehicle in exchange or offer a full refund.
Interesting. Probably doesn't help if they close up for good.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I just placed an order for 2 throttle assemblies, 2 swingarm chain sliders, 2 lower chain sliders, a rear chain guide, a complete plastic set (except front end) including rear mud flap, 2 sets of timing and gear cover gaskets, 1 replacement left side timing cover (the part that is getting beaten up by the chain), and 1 set of coolant hoses.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Can someone confirm whether or not our bikes share linkage and swingarm bearings with the KTM's? If not, i want to order a set while i have the chance.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
Can someone confirm whether or not our bikes share linkage and swingarm bearings with the KTM's? If not, i want to order a set while i have the chance.

I asked my dealer that very question a few minutes ago.

He said you have to buy the whole assembly. Pull rods & knuckle. 'Taint that a bitch...

I forgot to ask about swingarm bearings...

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
I just placed the order for a complete rear subframe, 2 sets chain sliders, throttle assy and bolts for the rear fender.

I have seen somewhere, an aftermarket chain guide.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
The bearings "look" like standard KTM bearings to me, but looks can be deceiving. I think your parts guy said that because it doesn't list the bearings separately in the parts microfiche...

1541526755329.png
1541526811631.png
1541526874989.png

Drtjumper

I'm thinking about just parting out my two MXR's before they get destroyed by me and my son in these east coast Appalachian rocks. That means I will have two R Batteries and Two displays for sale as well as everything else. Of anyone is interested in any of that PM me an offer but it needs to be worth it. Keep in mind the A pack battery was $3500 shipped from Alta and the R pack was never even available to purchase when I looked at spares. I'm not trying to RIP anyone off or take advantage of the situation just not completely lose my ass on both of these bikes if something were to happen. I also just placed an order for a bunch of parts but I am not confident Alta will be filling orders to begin with but we will see.