BAD NEWS

BenEXR

It could be that old, "Phony News" as what the heck is Asphalt & Rubber?, and then Racer X picks it up and reports it as if it is fact?

There is not one single other news report on the google machine at all.

Drtjumper

If they are done, I am really glad I bought the first MXR ever sold and the paperwork to back that up. Might make it worth a few more bucks a long time from now.

Unfortunately the report is true. Spoke with our dealer rep this morning (who is now unemployed). They gave him the call last night and told him they had to let him go and that they'd be coming to get his demo bikes and van. As an Alta dealer we are also hoping this is a strategic move in order to pick up an investor and start operating again. That's all the info we have as a dealer at the moment.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Wait, they are going to pick up demo bikes from one of their dealers?? So the EXR I've been waiting to come off demo will be taken back to Alta?? NOOO!!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
It is a good thing theses things are so simple and will work forever. Maybe I should get an extra battery pack.

I hope they find a new sugar daddy.

Battery is my biggest concern. I have no doubt the rest of the bike will hold up for many years. We might want to think about stocking up on a few OEM replacement parts, though.

Reactions: Rix

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Battery is my biggest concern. I have no doubt the rest of the bike will hold up for many years.
If they tell us the manufacturer of the current batteries, or make the firmware code available, buying replacement batteries will not be a problem.
We might want to think about stocking up on a few OEM replacement parts, though.
Chain sliders and delta wings. All else is easy to replace. Just do not crack the aluminum castings too much.

If they tell us the manufacturer or the current batteries, or make the firmware code available, buying replacement batteries will not be a problem.

Chain sliders and delta wings. All else is easy to replace. Just do not crack the aluminum castings too much.
I believe that the battery cells are produced by Sony and then assembled into the packs by Alta.

snydes

Staff member
I was talking to a friend in the industry and he believes there is a federal regulation that mandates parts be available for any DOT bike for a minimum of 10 years. Don’t know how that may apply to this situation... it probably doesn’t I’d guess. Can’t really supply parts if the company is defunct.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I just called Kissell Motorsports and they said they can't sell it without notification from Alta. He did say that if he is allowed to sell it, it's ready to be sold now. If that's the case, I'll be picking it up this weekend. Of course, now this completely changes my opinion of whether I should trade in my KLX250.
I also feel like this news drops the price a little. Buying a bike that will no longer be supported by any warranty or mfr seems like a risk worth another $1k off.

bluefxstc

I was talking to a friend in the industry and he believes there is a federal regulation that mandates parts be available for any DOT bike for a minimum of 10 years. Don’t know how that may apply to this situation... it probably doesn’t I’d guess. Can’t really supply parts if the company is defunct.
You are correct, at least for cars so motorcycles are probably the same. Now if the company is out of business, who do you hold accountable to make/supply the parts? If Alta shuts down completely, we are probably on our own.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor

I believe this only holds true for a manufacturer if the company is still active. So only if the bike is discontinued but the company still exists.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
This just opened up a huge market for the aftermarket parts and service guys. I'm still working on my redesigned gear box cover that integrates the rear brake pedal and MC. It'll solve the problem if some breaks the RBH where the MC mounts to it. And it'll be much stronger.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
I feel sad. Real sad. I just spent good dollars on a machine that is now, of this writing, obsolete. Guess I better hold on to my 18 TC250...

I hope a company has the foresight to acquire Alta.

snydes

Staff member
I believe this only holds true for a manufacturer if the company is still active. So only if the bike is discontinued but the company still exists.
I think it could prove to be a benefit if a company buys Alta's assets, otherwise it would be worthless. The example came from a Husky dealer when talking about the Italian Husqvarnas, apparently current Husky ownership would much rather not support those bikes but because of that federal mandate they have to for at least the 10 years.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Viper owners have bought some factory manufacturing equipment when the Viper production stopped. They decided to do that even though FCA was (apparenly) requires to supply spare parts. Perhaps FCA just decided to outsource that responsibility.