Varg suspension

Theo

Here is my situation:
• rider's weight in underwear: 74 kg/163 lbs
• suspensions setup: 75/80 kg
• use: motocross only

At the beginning, the suspensions felt stiff to me in every track.
Saturday at the track, at 8 hours circa it seemed to me that maybe they had softened a little bit but still not enough, so I softened them by turning the following clickers 2 clicks counterclockwise:
• fork compression
• fork rebound
• shock fast compression
• shock fast rebound
and they felt much better, maybe still a little bit on the stiff side but acceptable.
I cased some middle sized/big jumps and it didn't feel like they were bottoming out.
I will try these settings in other tracks, too.

EDIT written on 4/21st/24:
Actually, when I wrote "at the track", I was referring to a MX park where you can enter more than a track with one ticket and the suspension setup was tested successfully in two tracks.
Yesterday I tried it in another track and I think it was succesul there, too.

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Here is my situation:
• rider's weight in underwear: 74 kg/163 lbs
• suspensions setup: 75/80 kg
• use: motocross only

At the beginning, the suspensions felt stiff to me in every track.
Saturday at the track, at 8 hours circa it seemed to me that maybe they had softened a little bit but still not enough, so I softened them by turning the following clickers 2 clicks counterclockwise:
• fork compression
• fork rebound
• shock fast compression
• shock fast rebound
and they felt much better, maybe still a little bit on the stiff side but acceptable.
I cased some middle sized/big jumps and it didn't feel like they were bottoming out.
I will try these settings in other tracks, too,
What were your starting settings?

Theo

I don’t know for sure since I haven’t counted how many clicks I was out, but the default sttings should be the ones that you can find in this thread.

Magoo69

I’ll be dropping off my forks and shock at Factory Connection tomorrow for a re-valve. I’m looking for better small bump compliance and some plushness.

l’ll post my impressions in a week or so.

AgileMike

I had my suspension re-valved by RG3 in Boise. It is night and day better than stock suspension. The stock suspension has an extremely stiff shock and an overly soft fork. The worst part of the fork behavior is diving under front brake use.

I've only got one ride on the new stuff, but I'll post some of my settings after I get three rides in or so.

mbw479

Has anyone removed the rear linkage bolt that runs through the swingarm? I removed both the end caps, then tried to undo the nut by holding both ends of the bolt with 17mm sockets on extensions, but the resistance to undo it was extremely tight so I left it in. It is the only bearing I haven’t greased on the bike.

mbw479

Has anyone removed the rear linkage bolt that runs through the swingarm? I removed both the end caps, then tried to undo the nut by holding both ends of the bolt with 17mm sockets on extensions, but the resistance to undo it was extremely tight so I left it in. It is the only bearing I haven’t greased on the bike.
Update: I drowned the bolt (literally) in wd40 overnight and the right hand side came out fairly easily, the left hand side is actually a sleeve that the bolt screws into from the right, it has to be undone opposite as it is a left hand thread. Bearing is greased now and it is back together.

Theo

Update: I drowned the bolt (literally) in wd40 overnight and the right hand side came out fairly easily, the left hand side is actually a sleeve that the bolt screws into from the right, it has to be undone opposite as it is a left hand thread. Bearing is greased now and it is back together.

Would you say that the bearings were well lubed originally?

Magoo69

UPDATE: I just rode for the first time since Factory Connection did a re-valve front and back. I only ride single track, some flowy fast stuff and some rooty technical stuff.

I was looking for them to take some of the harshness out and make the Varg a little plusher. Well, they did that and then some.

PROS: It‘s like a magic carpet ride over the roots, logs and rocks. It’s definitely not harsh/stiff anymore. It’s very plush…it was very nice not to feel every little nook and cranny in the trails, BUT….

CONS; The Varg no longer has that planted feel it had. It no longer turns well at all. I was bouncing all over the place like a Pogo stick. It was darn near dangerous in the big woops. Traction on rough uphills was awful. It was almost impossible to keep the front tire in rutted turns and in straight ruts, it just didn’t track well at all. The front end was diving in and front traction wasn’t great.

The good news is I’m sure they’ll figure it out and make the proper adjustments to get it right. I think they went way too far on the plush side.

fred900

UPDATE: I just rode for the first time since Factory Connection did a re-valve front and back. I only ride single track, some flowy fast stuff and some rooty technical stuff.

I was looking for them to take some of the harshness out and make the Varg a little plusher. Well, they did that and then some.

PROS: It‘s like a magic carpet ride over the roots, logs and rocks. It’s definitely not harsh/stiff anymore. It’s very plush…it was very nice not to feel every little nook and cranny in the trails, BUT….

CONS; The Varg no longer has that planted feel it had. It no longer turns well at all. I was bouncing all over the place like a Pogo stick. It was darn near dangerous in the big woops. Traction on rough uphills was awful. It was almost impossible to keep the front tire in rutted turns and in straight ruts, it just didn’t track well at all. The front end was diving in and front traction wasn’t great.

The good news is I’m sure they’ll figure it out and make the proper adjustments to get it right. I think they went way too far on the plush side.
I would start with Rebound adjustments. May need to turn in some.

Foss

I can confirm, every joint needs to be re-greased. I took my swing arm off, removed all sleeves for the knuckle and the linkage and it was bone dry with a little nasty yellow grease; it wasn’t packed.

mbw479

I can confirm, every joint needs to be re-greased. I took my swing arm off, removed all sleeves for the knuckle and the linkage and it was bone dry with a little nasty yellow grease; it wasn’t packed.
Yeah it is necessary, I am surprised Stark don't have a manual on this because it is a very common thing to do. Especially with the left hand thread, someone will get too keen and strip or break it eventually.

Foss

Yeah it is necessary, I am surprised Stark don't have a manual on this because it is a very common thing to do. Especially with the left hand thread, someone will get too keen and strip or break it eventually.
Right, whoever is their supplier for the swing arm needs to rethink their strategy lol. They are adding bare minimum lubricant… and the grease they use is this crappy yellow smelly material which belongs no where near a bike lol.