Varg suspension

jh151

What does everyone think of the stark varg suspension?

To start off I'm a vet expert offroad/vet intermediate moto guy. I tend to lean to the stiffer side on my bikes even offroad.

This varg is by far the stiffest bike I've bought, 450 moto bikes included! It doesn't necessarily do anything real bad other then it beats the hell out of me!

I am just surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it because I frankly can't ride the thing till I get it revalved!

MadpdXabbott

YEAH, I have to agree, those forks are so Stiff its crazy.
My experience, I ordered the 209-220 LBS spring rate, I out weight that spring rate by 50# with gear. I ride single track woods and raced some sand my first week. Hit the MX track couple times looking to do everything in a season. I'm -4 soft on the front clickers and -1 on all the shock clickers, +1 slow speed rebound.(RED). Done play'n around Ordered A-Kit from Japan.
Always set SAG !! Page 87 owners manual !!
Place the bike with both wheels on
the ground and, with a rider sitting
on the bike, measure the height
C between the wheel axle and the
SAG marking on the rear spoiler.
Recommended value is: height A
(see step 1) minus 102 mm to 108 mm.

blbills

Agreed. Shipping my suspension out tomorrow to get it revalved. That's what we get for trying to use a moto bike for offroad.

jh151

Agreed. Shipping my suspension is getting shipped out tomorrow to get it revalved. That's what we get for trying to use a moto bike for offroad.
Granted I ride a lot of higher speed desert type stuff but I typically buy and run full moto suspension offroad and love it! This thing feels like it's ready for arenacross lol!

Megaledon

My suspension became way more compliant after a couple hours of riding. It is also very responsive to clicker changes. Where do you guys buy fork springs? Looking for a pair of 4.8.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Race Tech, MX Tech, and most dirt bike suspension shops should have springs for the Varg KYB, which is the same as Yamaha's KYB.

Does anyone know the Varg's correct fork spring length though? The Yamana's forks (and probably springs too) changed by 5mm at least once in the last 10 years.

MadpdXabbott

Race Tech, MX Tech, and most dirt bike suspension shops should have springs for the Varg KYB, which is the same as Yamaha's KYB.

Does anyone know the Varg's correct fork spring length though? The Yamana's forks (and probably springs too) changed by 5mm at least once in the last 10 years.
from the Race Tech web site, RT FK SPR 43.8x492 .48kg I think the length is the 492? there are listing for parts and tools for the STARK

fred900

that is the oil setting listed for my set up by weight and ridding style . how did you get 20 ml out of forks ?
I usually just take the forks off, open the tops and pour. I fill a syringe with 20ml of water and put it a clear cup, draw a line for the 20 ml. remove and pour the oil in the cup. Make sure you clean off the oil from the forks after you put the caps back on, they will slide in the triple clamps.

Megaledon

Just took a measurement of a set of WP springs at 476mmx44mm. I would think the diameter will be good and I have spacers to compensate for the missing 16mm in length.

Magoo69

Same here …very stiff for single track/enduro riding.

I too found it softened over time but I would still say it’s on the stiff side for sure ( I have around 20 hrs on my Varg)

On the flip side, it’s very good at higher speeds for sure.

I have the compression clickers all the way out on the forks and the all the way out -4 clicks on the shock. All the other clickers are 3/4 of the way to all the way out.

I’m hoping to have the suspension revalved at some point…I’m waiting to see what suspension tuner gets the most “love” on this forum. I reached out Factory Connection and they said they weren’t quite there with a package for the Stark. They said it had some unique chalanges and wanted to try a few more tunes before offering it to the public.

What does everyone think of the stark varg suspension?

To start off I'm a vet expert offroad/vet intermediate moto guy. I tend to lean to the stiffer side on my bikes even offroad.

This varg is by far the stiffest bike I've bought, 450 moto bikes included! It doesn't necessarily do anything real bad other then it beats the hell out of me!

I am just surprised I haven't seen more complaints about it because I frankly can't ride the thing till I get it revalved!
After the first ride I made a appointment with my suspension tuner. Changed the springs and did a revalve. After adjusting the sag and played with clickers. Feels great now

Beep

I chose the suspension for 209-220 LBS for mine and it has felt great from the first ride. I weigh about 195 with my gear on so I did have to adjust the preload on the shock spring when i got it, and while waiting for delivery I was starting to wonder if I made a poor choice after reading some reports that the suspension was a bit stiff but it worked out great for me.
I don’t really do any technical type enduro stuff though, maybe it would feel too stiff for that.

AgileMike

The shock is extremely stiff. I've got the low speed comp all the way out and preload spring adjusted all the way loose, only generating 98mm sag. It was ordered for 185 rider and I'm only 155, so it's a little understandable. I've got it at suspension shop right now.

jh151

Very interesting response from everyone! I dont know how many of you ride it back to back with gas bikes but that's where I really noticed it!

I have a buddy that had his stuff revalved and after getting a ride on it I'm not so sure that some of the firm feel isn't coming from the chassis!