Potential new owner - 2 bikes here in the UK

edteamslr

I have just been offered these two beauties here in the United Kingdom. I don't know if any others were imported here but I am sorely tempted. I have a couple of questions - they are listed as 2018 MX1? I thought they were called MXR's.

There are two of them for sale and I'm tempted to buy them. They each have their own charger but I don't know whether rapid or normal - need to check. They were imported December 2018 by a company looking to turn them into buggies but realised it was not going to be simple and batteries were insufficient for a larger vehicle on their own.

AD reads: "For Sale Red Shift Alta Possibly the only two Alta bikes for sale in the UK. Full Electric, with 50hp. Quality, second to none! Alta Motors|Redshift MXR DM with your email address for more details. "

The big question is..... should I?

alta.png

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Another question - how can I check the battery/codes/hours etc directly from the bike display when I go to look at them?
Once you turn the key, if the display is on but there is no yellow light and an fault code or error message, then there are no fault codes.

Have you learned the VINs? You only need to learn the last three digits on both bikes.

Also, did you say they were they bough in December? They may or may not have the latest firmware. If you had a couple of weeks, you could buy a communication cable (here in AOF Store), install the "MultiTool" Software (use a search or find the sticky thread about MultiTool, and check the firmware versions on both bikes before buying. But the cable will take a couple of weeks to get to you. However, if you get the VINs, we have a json file in MultiTool that should have your VIN and a record of which firmware it has. So get the VINs!

edteamslr

Once you turn the key, if the display is on but there is no yellow light and an fault code or error message, then there are no fault codes.

Have you learned the VINs? You only need to learn the last three digits on both bikes.

Also, did you say they were they bough in December? They may or may not have the latest firmware. If you had a couple of weeks, you could buy a communication cable (here in AOF Store), install the "MultiTool" Software (use a search or find the sticky thread about MultiTool, and check the firmware versions on both bikes before buying. But the cable will take a couple of weeks to get to you. However, if you get the VINs, we have a json file in MultiTool that should have your VIN and a record of which firmware it has. So get the VINs!

I don't have the VINs yet. Was supposed to be viewing today but as it's raining I'd feel bad taking the new bikes outside to check they run in the rain. The multitool would have been a great addition, I've been watching the youtube clips and will need those if I take the plunge.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have the VINs yet. Was supposed to be viewing today but as it's raining I'd feel bad taking the new bikes outside to check they run in the rain. The multitool would have been a great addition, I've been watching the youtube clips and will need those if I take the plunge.
You don't need to ride them outside. If they power up and move inside the garage then they are fine.

edteamslr

Just been to see the bikes. One has 100miles, the other is brand new. (/blurry)
1555523775951.png
1555524133437.png

The second bike had the VIN number ending 400 exactly.

No errors showing on the used bike but I didn't get to see the dash of the brand new one.

The owner claimed to know the guys at Alta but I think it was more 'had conversed by email' and was still in touch. Possibly a contact of some use.

snydes

Staff member
They are in the range of when there was some manufacturing issues with the battery wirebonds. Lots of bikes were just fine, but the potential is there. If the used bike has the latest firmware and has some time on it since the update it’s likely ok. The brand new bike, even if it was updated, wouldn’t necessarily throw the code until it was rode a bit. I hope that makes better sense.