For Sale Parts now available for sale

Cody129

Yea that whole bidding this was horrible. I needed a whole set from a trashed used bike I bought. All I won was a front fender. I’m not ready to spend over $600 on a set of plastics

Motophyllic

There are still new bikes available at dealerships. Someone could buy one and part it out on EBay. I’d hate to see an Alta go out like this, but it would help a lot of us with needed parts.

snydes

Staff member
Yea that whole bidding this was horrible. I needed a whole set from a trashed used bike I bought. All I won was a front fender. I’m not ready to spend over $600 on a set of plastics

I hate to be the one tor break this to you now but those front fenders are 2009 Honda CRF250/450 and can be had all day for $25 new. And in white.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Those kind of prices will only encourage someone to offer an alternative. For example, it would be EASY to splash a mold for the side number plates and then start producing them in fiberglass or carbon fiber. At $200 a set (ebay price) it leaves lots of room for a much lower price. All the other plastic parts could be done the same way, but making the mold(s) would be a bit more time consuming.

I plan on 3d printing these types of parts for a lot less than 200$! Thats crazy!

Mikec265

I plan on 3d printing these types of parts for a lot less than 200$! Thats crazy!
Do you have the ability to print rear fenders, shrouds, side number plates, or subframes?
I wouldn't bat an eye at Altas retail prices if it's good material that holds up.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Do you have the ability to print rear fenders, shrouds, side number plates, or subframes?
I wouldn't bat an eye at Altas retail prices if it's good material that holds up.

Subframe, rear fender, and shrouds would take a huge 3d printer and lots of time to print. Side number plates will be doable.

beepbeep

Subframe, rear fender, and shrouds would take a huge 3d printer and lots of time to print. Side number plates will be doable.

"Huge" is a relative term. Compared to a little dremel/makerbot/formlabs, yeah it would take a huge printer. Compared to what Local Motors is doing out in Knoxville. . . that's not huge, large maybe, but not huge.

Video: 3D Printing at Local Motors

FYI: There are print houses popping up all over* that can print your design for you with the materials of your choice. This option should give you access to printers large enough to make a subframe. Alternatively, if you have the engineering/materials & Joint strength/design chops, you could print smaller segments and bond them to each other.

*Search the innnerwebz for 3D Print Services + your zipcode.

HTH

Mark911

We'd probably need to get our parts scanned. I had a handheld 3D scanner but just didn't use it enough so I sold it. I still have my Faro Arm and can use it to locate all the main interfaces/features and simply connect the dots in Rapidform. That's what I typically do. However, I don't think 3D printing at a reasonable cost will produce the kind of finish and color(s) we'd want.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I had my father take a took as some of the spare plastic I have. He's a retired plastics engineer and has experience in extrusion, sheet forming and injection molding. The synopsis is that none of us can afford to make the molds. The subframe mold he estimates would cost $250k to machine. I was hoping that the rear fender and side number plates might be affordable enough to consider.

I think our best bet is to convince Acerbis to do short run for us on a group buy basis if and when the needs arise. That does, of course, depends on what BRP's position is with regards to the molds.

AltaWest

Forum's Sponsor
Sounds like auction fever has led to buyer's remorse...

Yup. I thought $0.99 was a fair starting price for a fender from the Alta factory with factory stickers... but people like to cast blame, and I'm able to take it.

Bear in mind, this was the guy over-bidding on everything with a (0) eBay score. And everyone knows the Alta is a Honda front. Or so I thought.

And no, no one lied to you Cody. The fender was bought from Alta.

Top Bottom