How many want to keep the foot brake?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
So I low-sided my MX and broke the RBH master cylinder mounting ear off on the bottom mount, rendering my rear brake lever inoperable without zip ties or fixing by replacement (RBH $657.86 plus extra parts needed, plus complete disassembly) or welding (major disassembly and machine work).

Alta suggests removing the rear brake assembly and go LHRB. I have most of the components for that but I really wanted to keep the foot brake.

How many of you would do away with the foot brake completely and forever?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I could, but I probably won't. I have an "oh $#!+ reflex" in my right foot but not in my right hand. If I jump with the front wheel too high up, or if something unexpected happens in front of me, I instinctively hit the rear brake.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It's $100 for the long LHRB line, or $300 if Alta won't sell it separately, plus dealing with not having the foot brake.

Or $658 plus the installation labor.

Or welding, machining, plus the installation labor.

Or making some bracket contraption to keep the bottom on the cylinder in place.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have another idea. How about designing a protective cover or bracket for the rear brake cylinder? If done right, it would prevent that failure from happening on other bikes, or hold the cylinder in place if this failure has already occurred.

Design it in CAD, CNC machine a few pieces, and sell them for $300 each.

Send a couple pieces to Ty to test at Arenacross and at Erzberg to gain street cred.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I have another idea. How about designing a protective cover or bracket for the rear brake cylinder? If done right, it would prevent that failure from happening on other bikes, or hold the cylinder in place if this failure has already occurred.

Design it in CAD, CNC machine a few pieces, and sell them for $300 each.

Send a couple pieces to Ty to test at Arenacross and at Erzberg to gain street cred.

Well ahead of you. Working on it as we speak

metallic88

I actually want both now, i like having the foot brake since Im use to that, but I do want a handlebar brake now it'd be really use-full on these altas Ive learned.

Mark911

I've gotten so comfortable with my LHRB that I can't even ride a bike with ONLY a standard foot pedal. I'll come into a corner and don't even think about the foot brake and can't stop! Now the panic mode is at the bars. When I focused on using the foot pedal I realized just how imprecise and clumsy it was to operate. Frankly, I was thinking about buying another bike (a 125cc) but now I don't think I could go back. It will spoil you for sure.

I love the LHRB, was not sure at first, but after the first few days riding, it is so much better, my body position for RH and LH corners is so much better, I have been riding it for 6 months or so. The only thing I miss, is when I get on my 2000 YZ 250 2 stroke which is only once every other month or so, but I'm completely messed up for the first few hours riding, until muscle memory comes back. I may in the future put the rear foot brake back on my Alta, so I can use it for a few days before riding my YZ. But after riding YZ I will definitely go back to the LHRB, I do hope Alta comes out with a Master/Slave cylinder that will work with both foot and hand

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I do hope Alta comes out with a Master/Slave cylinder that will work with both foot and hand

Exactly my point.... The LHRB is a must, we all seem to agree. My LHRB kit will retain the foot brake, I'm thinking I still want to use it occasionally.

I'm curious how may of us NEVER want a foot brake on their Alta again. I'm in the process of designing a new rear master cylinder / foot brake lever assembly that doesn't use the two ear tabs on the motor case. I broke the lower tab off my bike when I low-sided it in the woods sections of a J Day race. If I want to keep the foot brake I need to come up with a different design.

Oded

Rekluse have an Alta suitable LHRB that retains the foot brake.
I use it, works great.

griffbl

I ride a bicycle quite a bit, and have converted ALL of them to Moto Style..... i.e. Left brake for the rear, Right brake for the front, to be like my motorcycles. I installed a CABLE kit to add a Left Brake lever for the rear brake on my 2019 Alta Redshift EX-R. It attaches to the back of the foot brake lever. Simple set up, works great, and allows the foot brake to remain in place along with the stock hydraulics. When I get the bike home again, I will post some photos.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I ride a bicycle quite a bit, and have converted ALL of them to Moto Style..... i.e. Left brake for the rear, Right brake for the front, to be like my motorcycles.
The way bicycles have it is just plain wrong. It is just like cars with autostick transmissions that you have to push the stick to upshift.
I installed a CABLE kit to add a Left Brake lever for the rear brake on my 2019 Alta Redshift EX-R.
I've seen this. Who is the manufacturer, I forgot?
Oh, I googled, Ox Brake.

griffbl

The way bicycles have it is just plain wrong. It is just like cars with autostick transmissions that you have to push the stick to upshift.

Yes Phillip, It is PLAIN WRONG. Your front brake provides most of your stopping power, so it should be on the RIGHT, as it is on a motorcycle.

I've seen this. Who is the manufacturer, I forgot?

I can't answer that question as My Alta is not here in Texas with me at this time....I will pick the bike up soon from Colorado and see who the manufacturer is of the brake kit and post photos. It is also used on KTM's, which is why it is close to a direct fit on my 2019 Alta Redshift because the master cylinder for the rear brake is essentially KTM kit. The housing for the cable fits around the master cylinder. A tab attaches to the back of the foot brake lever so as to allow for a bit more leverage for the cable. Cable feels great, works perfectly, good feel and the foot brake is retained.