How many looking at the Rivian R1T to haul your Alta?

Trialsman

I put in a deposit for the Rivian R1T after seeing the Tesla CyberTruck. The CT was just too ugly for me. I have already asked how much the tailgate will support for the rear of the Alta (1000# so no problem). I have also inquired if the 120v outlets in the bed could be 220v for our fast chargers ( no response yet). there is also an outlet for compressed air in the bed which is cool. They should start shipping in June 202. I am looking forward to this over another ICE truck after the experience I have had with the MX I had and the two EXRs I now have. Just curious if any others see this as a perfect extension of the Alta experience.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I own a Tesla Model Y. Tesla really spoils their owners with excellent ownership and driving experience. I will not be buying another new non-Tesla car or truck, gas or electric, until Tesla makes me a full-sized replacement motovan!

Yeah, I am now a Tesla fanboy.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Considering the number of vehicles I have, and the amount of miles per year I put on them, it's going to be about 10 years before I need to contemplate the purchase of a new truck or van. So it makes it fun to watch the development and evolution of new vehicles.

Guess that's not really an answer to your question.

F451

Two Rivian prototypes were used during the filming of the recently released "Long Way Up" documentary where they ride two modified Harley Livewires from Tierra Del Fuego to LA. I was surprised how well the Rivian's did considering they were prototypes. They did experience some issues with the Rivians (and with the bikes), but they were able to resolve them and the trucks completed the trip.

You can watch it on Apple TV (sign up for a free membership, cancel before the charges kick in): Long Way Up on Apple TV and Rivian's take on the trip here. I enjoyed the series, although it was light on technical info on issues encountered and how they were resolved with all the vehicles.

The issue with the brakes locking up on the Rivian really blew my mind. They were stumped on what was going on, really didn't seem to know what the hell they were doing or how to logically troubleshoot. Finally the producer guy "reboots" the Rivian's computer and the issue is resolved. The whole time watching it I was thinking "why aren't they re-booting the thing..." Seemed like a no-brainer considering the truck is jam packed full of computers/software and none of them seemed mechanically inclined in the least (seemed to be debating on how to jack the the thing up).

I'm on the sidelines with the electric cars/pickups/vans for the moment, but I would love an affordable e-pickup or e-van and would be willing to pay a premium for one, but not $100k. I'm eagerly awaiting the Tesla, Rivian, and F150 e-pickups, will be very interesting to see how they do in the real world.

I'm suspecting the Tesla and Rivian will blow the F150 away in the battery/power/range/charging departments, and the F150 will be better at normal pickup truck type features. Should be an interesting next year or two.

And of course e-vans are coming and will add additional options for moto peeps, can't wait.

For you early adopters, we are expecting, no make that demanding, all kinds of reviews and reports, Lol.

Trialsman

I have been reading everything I can find on the R1T and the company in general. I will be glad to offer my experiences once I finally take delivery next summer/fall. The intent is to ride my Guzzi V85tt out to the plant in Illinois, load up the bike in the back, and drive home to Pgh. The real test will be when I take the Alta in the back to a riding/camping place. It will be nice to not need a generator since I will be able to charge off the truck battery with the 110v (hopefully 240v) outlets in the bed.

F451

I have been reading everything I can find on the R1T and the company in general. I will be glad to offer my experiences once I finally take delivery next summer/fall. The intent is to ride my Guzzi V85tt out to the plant in Illinois, load up the bike in the back, and drive home to Pgh. The real test will be when I take the Alta in the back to a riding/camping place. It will be nice to not need a generator since I will be able to charge off the truck battery with the 110v (hopefully 240v) outlets in the bed.

Can't wait to hear about it. Sounds like an awesome adventure.

TeslaRaptor

I put in a deposit for the Rivian R1T after seeing the Tesla CyberTruck. The CT was just too ugly for me. I have already asked how much the tailgate will support for the rear of the Alta (1000# so no problem). I have also inquired if the 120v outlets in the bed could be 220v for our fast chargers ( no response yet). there is also an outlet for compressed air in the bed which is cool. They should start shipping in June 202. I am looking forward to this over another ICE truck after the experience I have had with the MX I had and the two EXRs I now have. Just curious if any others see this as a perfect extension of the Alta experience.

I love my Tesla P100D Model S. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Put $100 down to be on the reservation list for the Tesla Truck (which I assume by the time I pull the trigger will have a few body revisions to it.). The more month/miles I put on my Ford Raptor...the sooner I want a Tesla quality interior/driving_experience. Comparing the Model S (2017) to the Raptor (2018) is night and day quality wise. But...no range anxiety with the Raptor...just lots of gas station stops. ;-)

NW Velo

I put down a deposit on the Rivian R1T before I even added a Alta to my stable. It was the interest in changing my world over to EVs that started me on a path of researching the best EV Motos to get as well. I would love a follow-up to this thread if Rivian gets back to you with any option for 220v. With that said, you technically could be sitting at a fast charger plugged into your EV truck while charging your Alta in the bed at the same time...how cool would that be! Rivian also announced just last week that they would be positioning their fast chargers at "adventurous" destinations which means we could potentially see charging stations at popular ORV trail heads and moto tracks.

Motophyllic

I’m all Tesla over here. Can’t wait for my Cybertruck. Plus, I like the idea of being in a bulletproof truck, even if it’s just 9mm and smaller calibers.