Did you keep your old bike?

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm wondering if I should keep my KLX250 or trade it in to lower the cost of the new alta. How many of you kept an ICE bike when you bought your alta and do you ride them much anymore? If cost wasn't a concern than this question doesn't really apply. I don't race so having a separate race bike isn't important to me. I do ride when I go camping so having the ICE bike for when I don't have a generator would be nice (also nice to have something for friends to ride since I'm the only rider when we go camping), but otherwise I only trail ride for short periods (less than 25 mi at a time). Part of me just wants to keep it, but those alta's are expensive and I probably won't ride the KLX much at all once I have the EXR. Also it might be hard to convince the wife I need it since I already have an '06 victory jackpot and a '00 sportster. "But honey, those are ROAD bikes, these are DIRT bikes. Totally different....."

snydes

Staff member
I kept mine, but I find that I only want to ride the Alta anyways. If you don't see range as an issue, than I'd let it go.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
The NETRA events my buddies and I have been doing are typically 75 miles, so the Alta would be more trouble than fun. Sure, you can cut off and head back early, but most of the events are a combination of private land and logging roads. Picking a spot to get back onto the road and having enough charge to get back can be tricky.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I kept my old bikes, which are dear to me and won't fetch much money, and sold all the recently bought ones because I only rode them once after I bought the Alta.

That one ride was only to compare the bikes back to back on the same day and track. My 2015 Husky 2-stroke felt like riding an out-of-control vibrating jackhammer, LOL! And the YZ450F throttle felt too laggy, and the bike was never in the right gear.

snydes

Staff member
My 2015 Husky 2-stroke felt like riding an out-of-control vibrating jackhammer, LOL!

At risk of offending our Alta friends who also own 2t's I will totally agree! I let a friend ride the MXR once at the track and he let me take his new Husky 2t... the idea of getting another 2 stroke for nostalgia quickly left me.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I still have my 450 and my 125. I'm in the process of going through my 450 to get ready to sell it. I plan on keeping my 125 for multiple reasons; its so fun to ride, it refines my skills, and its so fun to ride. Both my Alta and my 125 are super fun to ride, but different types of fun. The Alta is new and exciting and different and unique in its power delivery and its riding experience. The 125 begs to be thrown around and screamed, and is difficult to go fast on so it helps maintain my riding skills.

thsm007

I thbink it depends what purpose the Alta is intended to serve. I race dirt bikes. It won’t last a hare scramble and definitely not an enduro. I guess guys are racing them at sprint enduros with a generator. This means I must have at least one other bike. The Alta is a practice bike for me that feels similar enough to my small bore 4 stroke that I race. The Alta gets me into trails I couldn’t access on my gas bikes. I don’t see the Alta as an all around do it all dirt bike. The range just isn’t there. If I was looking to hit trails for 1.5-2 hrs and that was all I was doing then I’d sell the rest of my fleet bc I do love my Alta that much.

WoodsWeapon

I still race my 350 on a regular basis, and will be going to a new 250 smoker for next season. But only because the Alta doesnt have the range I need for most race events I do.

BenEXR

If I get an EXR, I will be keeping my current bike, mainly because it is my snowbike in the winter and I have to have a snowbike to make the winter season fly by.

If the EXR could handle a snowbike track on it and a company made a snowbike kit for it, I might trade/sell the four stroke triple sport but it will be nice, if I don't need the ICE-bike for a backup or anything outside of the winter, to just leave the snowbike kit on the bike and leave it be as opposed to having to convert it back and forth each season although it is not all that hard to do and gives me something to keep myself busy.

snydes

Staff member
If I get an EXR, I will be keeping my current bike, mainly because it is my snowbike in the winter and I have to have a snowbike to make the winter season fly by.

If the EXR could handle a snowbike track on it and a company made a snowbike kit for it, I might trade/sell the four stroke triple sport but it will be nice, if I don't need the ICE-bike for a backup or anything outside of the winter, to just leave the snowbike kit on the bike and leave it be as opposed to having to convert it back and forth each season although it is not all that hard to do and gives me something to keep myself busy.
I’d bet the Alta would do pretty good as a snow bike... for about 15-20 minutes!

ecd

I rode my KTM 200 XC-W this weekend after ~7 months (CA red sticker). I thought I'd fall back in love with it as always... but I'm not sure. The main perks of that bike are suspension, weight and the fun factor when on the pipe. But I forgot about the vibrations and power band and stalling in technical stuff

John Lindemann

I have had regrets from the sale of most bikes I’ve owned through the years. I have 19 motorcycles at present. If I could only keep one it would be my trusty old KLR650. If you love it keep it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have had regrets from the sale of most bikes I’ve owned through the years. I have 19 motorcycles at present. If I could only keep one it would be my trusty old KLR650. If you love it keep it.
Wow! I now regret not buying a nearby property with 10 acres of land, a little lake, and a pole barn. I didn't like the smaller house, and I didn't think I would be allowed to ride dirt bikes there because the silent Alta motorcycles were not around back then. But if I had a plenty of storage, I too would probably had kept a few more bikes and cars.

But my optimal number is still in low single digits. There are costs associated with keeping every vehicle, and I cannot ride/drive them all anyway. My heart hurts to see good bikes and cars sitting collecting dust, rusting away, if you live in a humid climate. I'd rather let someone else ride them and not have the responsibility of managing and maintaining such a vehicle harem! :LOL: