Dal Soggio for 4CS?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
So I nearly died for the last time at this weekends Jday GP at Southwick.

My pace has gotten faster and I'm now experiencing/noticing the short comings of the 4CS forks. I'm a solid Novice on any motocross track and can usually keep pace in the woods (except when riding with @Duncan who appears to have superhuman abilities on his stock EX).

The forks are either too soft, or too hard in the woods. There is no middle ground. I can't even speak to jumping on a motocross track because the conditions at Southwick were awful, ruts like I've never seen or ridden in.

I talked to a local suspension guy that provided track side support. He has done four Altas with 4CS forks using Dal Soggiocomponents and said this setup works really well. I've seen several different company names kicked around in the Suspension thread but Dal Soggio is not one of them.

From what I got out of the conversation, the Dal Soggio solution is a complete insert, not a revalve. Basically the only the body of the fork is used, everything else is new and of a different design.

Any thoughts or comments before I invest some cash on this?

Reactions: Rix

Oded

In Israel, the Del Saggio upgrade is the most popular one for 4CS forks. They also have a version for the newer Xplor forks.

Although we use it here mainly for enduro and not MX, it is supposed to be the best bang for the buck upgrade. I have no personal experience with it though.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I considered Del Saggio but decided not to bother. They are expensive. They are valved for popular KTM and other models, so they will need to be re-valved for the Alta. You do not know what you are getting until you have tried them on your own bike. You might have to send them back a few times before they feel right. And, considering that you are a solid novice, I would not rely on your own tuning skills.

Just take that 4CS spreadsheet that emailed you to any KTM tuner and they will install the shims for $500 + springs, if needed.

WoodsWeapon

My opinion is the 4cs is a terrible fork, stock or revalved. But I also think Philip is right in that the Spheres would need revalved for the Alta. If you have a local tuner whos put them into several Altas, then he atleast has a baseline to work with.
I chose MXTech Lucky cartridges for mine, mostly because they’re local to me, and any changes needed would be easy. But I also know MXTs cartridges are valved for each rider, bike, terrain... are you certain custom valving of the Spheres isn’t included?

WoodsWeapon

The other deciding factor for me was if I decide to move on from the Alta, the cartridges are easily removed and sold off, and oem stuff put back in. Typically listing a used bike for sale with revalved suspension doesnt seem to get any return on investment.

gprix1

@gprix1 is running those Dal Soggio spheres. He likes them:

Ohlins steering damper fits nicely

The Dal Soggio spheres are an awesome setup on the Alta. I actually will have mine for sale soon as I've put my forks back to stock to sell the bike. They are for the AER forks but they are the exact same for the 4CS. You just need the 4CS specific bottoms which can be ordered from N2Dirt. Probably be listing them for $1k

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
The Dal Soggio spheres are an awesome setup on the Alta. I actually will have mine for sale soon as I've put my forks back to stock to sell the bike. They are for the AER forks but they are the exact same for the 4CS. You just need the 4CS specific bottoms which can be ordered from N2Dirt. Probably be listing them for $1k

Sent you a PM

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
My opinion is the 4cs is a terrible fork, stock or revalved. But I also think Philip is right in that the Spheres would need revalved for the Alta. If you have a local tuner whos put them into several Altas, then he atleast has a baseline to work with.
I chose MXTech Lucky cartridges for mine, mostly because they’re local to me, and any changes needed would be easy. But I also know MXTs cartridges are valved for each rider, bike, terrain... are you certain custom valving of the Spheres isn’t included?

Yes, the price included custom valving, as well as track side support to get them dialed in.

blbills

PM Sent as well.

Luxon MX

I have a set of 4CS compatible Dal Soggios for sale if anyone is still interested. They are great and only have about 10 hours on them, but I switched bikes so they're up for sale. Brian at N2D has them now and he can valve them for your specific setup. $1k plus whatever Brian charges should you need the setup changed. They're currently set up for vet intermediate, 220 lbs. Contact Brian direct if you're interested.
SOLD

N2Dirt

We have a set available for AER forks as well. $1k includes free setup. These are used but in good condition. Updated bladders.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I did purchase the Dal Soggio Spheres for the Alta. They absolutely transformed the bike, amazing difference how the bike handles.

Jared

I did purchase the Dal Soggio Spheres for the Alta. They absolutely transformed the bike, amazing difference how the bike handles.
Just finished solidly flogging my ‘18 EX for about 85 miles on a 24-hour club race in southeast WA state (with a nice variety of terrain) and will be researching the best options to throw money at to fix the front forks soon.

Jared

I have 4CS on my KTM 250 SX that were set up very well by TBT Racing and I might try to find a way to take the off the SX and try them on the EX just to see how they behave...

Jared

I have 4CS on my KTM 250 SX that were set up very well by TBT Racing and I might try to find a way to take the off the SX and try them on the EX just to see how they behave...
If anybody has experimented with this kind of switching around of components (KTM to Alta), I would find any info. (spacers on axle/caliper/rotor or KTM triple clamps installed on Alta (oooh flappy fender fix possibility?) feasibility) to be very helpful and appreciated.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
If anybody has experimented with this kind of switching around of components (KTM to Alta), I would find any info. (spacers on axle/caliper/rotor or KTM triple clamps installed on Alta (oooh flappy fender fix possibility?) feasibility) to be very helpful and appreciated.
I think your 2015-2016 SX uses a thinner front axle than the 2014 flavor that is on the Alta. This makes everything a lot more complicated. The Alta has 14mm wider triple clamps, a wider front wheel hub, and a longer front axle. You might have to swap the fork's internals or swap the whole front ends.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Just finished solidly flogging my ‘18 EX for about 85 miles on a 24-hour club race in southeast WA state (with a nice variety of terrain) and will be researching the best options to throw money at to fix the front forks soon.

Money well spent!

I considered the entire KTM swap with AER forks. Price aside, the Spheres are pretty damn amazing. I don't think there is any modification to 4CS forks that will come close to the Spheres. I'm convinced they were well worth the price.

F451

For testing purposes, am I missing something here, or could you not just swap out the entire front end including the triples? From my research here, it looks like the KTM triples bolt right on the Atla. The KTM triples are not as wide as the Alta triples (Altas were made wider to accommodate the SM setup), so you will need the shorter KTM axle and of course the KTM wheel and spacers.

For your test, I would leave the KTM wheels, spacers, number plate, front brakes including master/lever, everything intact, just unbolt at the steering stem and swap them. If you like the KTM suspension on the Alta, then look into what it takes to make the "permanent" swap.

For the "permanent" swap, I'm currently gathering parts to swap out my front wheel for a standard KTM wheel. My understanding is the following KTM parts are needed:
Triple clamps (including stem)
Front wheel
Front axle and nut
Spacers
Front fender
Headlight plastics or number plate

Depending on what year front wheel you go with will determine which spacers you will need.