N2Dirt and Dal Soggio Sphere Upgrade

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Last night I tore the Alta down in order to pull the forks and shock. I sent them off to Brian at N2Dirt to install the Dal Soggio Spheres, respring and revalve the forks, then install a bladder kit (and revalve) the shock.

I'll keep track of the upgrade, adjustments, thoughts, issues, impressions, etc., in this thread.

Here's the Alta after a couple of beers.

t87VZ9hLFiKMBdrpBQlaIcV0U42JBv5DK1ULlgWg-7CDO5u8sab6pJIBoW_goPadLfdw-u6IwA1bkZPyDCP=w876-h657-no.jpg

It's actually pretty manageable in this form. Easy enough to get on and off the stand. I don't have a scale but I'd venture a guess and say it's over 150 pounds.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Since I was a kid I would tear my motorcycles down to the frame every winter, clean, inspect, lubricate, etc. It just seems like the natural thing to do.

I pulled the swing arm off to inspect the bearings for water. This bike gets pressure washed more often than any of my other bikes did. The needle bearings are in perfect shape. The rear wheel bearings, which I replaced before my last race, were shot. One of them I can't spin by hand and both spacers are worn out

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The rear wheel bearings, which I replaced before my last race, were shot. One of them I can't spin by hand and both spacers are worn out
I need new rear wheel bearings myself. With barely 10 hours on the clock my MXR is already squealing. And I was pretty careful not to blast the seals directly.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I would try my new N2Dirt suspension in Texas today, but it might be too muddy here, I even got a flood warning among my phone notifications.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I need new rear wheel bearings myself. With barely 10 hours on the clock my MXR is already squealing. And I was pretty careful not to blast the seals directly.

At about 10 hours I took the race seals off the bearings and packed them with water proof grease. I was shocked that the left bearing had no visible grease in the ball cage. It was still good enough to use at that point but the damage was done. The grease job just prolonged the replacement by another 10 hours. The spacers are really hammered, deep grooves where the outer seal sits on them. Need to order them, hoping they are the same as a KTM. I'll pull the rear tire off the Husky and check.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I thought I would try my new N2Dirt suspension in Texas today, but it might be too muddy here, I even got a flood warning among my phone notifications.

Ah, you haven't tried out the new suspension yet! I was wondering if you were waiting to post something.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
The whole riding the bike submerged in lakes and rivers might have something to do with that!

Ah, you would think so. I did replace the bearings right after the water crossing but there was no water in the hub at all.

Fod

Ah, you would think so. I did replace the bearings right after the water crossing but there was no water in the hub at all.
Haha....I'm still not that brave to ride MY bike in the water. I am actually quite shy of washing my bike with a low pressure garden hose.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
So far this bike has been rock solid. It did have the inop water pump when I purchased it, but a new ACM fixed that. Oh, and the halo on the display is wonky.

I'm determined to use it and enjoy it till I can't. I really like this bike.

autohog

At about 10 hours I took the race seals off the bearings and packed them with water proof grease. I was shocked that the left bearing had no visible grease in the ball cage. It was still good enough to use at that point but the damage was done. The grease job just prolonged the replacement by another 10 hours. The spacers are really hammered, deep grooves where the outer seal sits on them. Need to order them, hoping they are the same as a KTM. I'll pull the rear tire off the Husky and check.
Got any pics? Never mind I didn’t realize this post was so old