BAD NEWS

evh1

The wreck I had on a soft sand track dislodged it out of place in the bar pad, it only took some new tie straps to set it back right. Mostly, I’m worried about the helmet hitting it.

Can we get the 3 folks with wrecked displays to post up details on their respective crashes please? That way we can come up with a best design for a protective case with some sort of additional protection for the display screen part. @datadog - I think that most of the Alta owners on here would go into a group buy for you if you want to propose a CNC casing with a PayPal or Venmo address to send cash into. To protect you, no work will be initiated until a comfortable number of units is prepaid for.
I'm a big proponent of PM (preventive maintenance). A source for throttle housings/barrels/assemblies is next.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I'd be interested in one but would like to see a hard plexiglass type cover over it. The plexiglass will scratch up but should be replaceable.

datadog

Can we get the 3 folks with wrecked displays to post up details on their respective crashes please? That way we can come up with a best design for a protective case with some sort of additional protection for the display screen part. @datadog - I think that most of the Alta owners on here would go into a group buy for you if you want to propose a CNC casing with a PayPal or Venmo address to send cash into. To protect you, no work will be initiated until a comfortable number of units is prepaid for.
I'm a big proponent of PM (preventive maintenance). A source for throttle housings/barrels/assemblies is next.

Let me carve out a prototype and test it first.

WoodsWeapon

I think for ease of manufacture, such a protector should be made as a drop in of the existing unit, much like Trailtech does to protect their computers. I dont see any reason to get rid of the existing plastic case, but add an additional box of aluminum around it, with the earlier mentioned plexiglass on top.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I think for ease of manufacture, such a protector should be made as a drop in of the existing unit, much like Trailtech does to protect their computers. I dont see any reason to get rid of the existing plastic case, but add an additional box of aluminum around it, with the earlier mentioned plexiglass on top.

That is also the way Enduro Engineering made their protection for the KTM speedo/trip computers. The factory display fit inside the machined aluminum case. The case had holes in the bottom for wiring plus mounting tabs which replaced the OEM steel bracket. I have used those with great success through too many crashes in the woods and in the desert. :muutt: I have never seen one made with a plastic cover since that would block the buttons and would also trap the heat from sunlight. A picture of the TrailTech part is below for those who haven't seen it. I couldn't find the EE part on their website so they may not make it anymore.

If possible, it might be useful for someone who has forum powers to move the last dozen or so posts out of 'Bad News' and into a thread about display protection At some point this subtopic will likely get lost in the ALTA corporate saga.

eii_021-tm1.jpg

datadog

I'm old school (and also old) so my method is to create a prototype by hand, test it, modify it if necessary, then hand it to a CNC team if I'm going to make multiples. It might take me longer, but the testing part should prevent redesign. I have been a racing crew chief and engineer for thirty years, and this method seems to work pretty well for me for that industry.
That is also the way Enduro Engineering made their protection for the KTM speedo/trip computers. The factory display fit inside the machined aluminum case. The case had holes in the bottom for wiring plus mounting tabs which replaced the OEM steel bracket. I have used those with great success through too many crashes in the woods and in the desert. :muutt: I have never seen one made with a plastic cover since that would block the buttons and would also trap the heat from sunlight. A picture of the TrailTech part is below for those who haven't seen it. I couldn't find the EE part on their website so they may not make it anymore.

If possible, it might be useful for someone who has forum powers to move the last dozen or so posts out of 'Bad News' and into a thread about display protection At some point this subtopic will likely get lost in the ALTA corporate saga.

View attachment 1393

Alan Randt at EE is very clever. Much respect.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
@Philip Maybe it's time for a new section for discussion of sourcing parts and manufacturing replacements, what to do about batteries, etc.

My proposal is to call it DAMN! "Distributed Alta Manufacturing Network" 😂
We do not have any answers yet, only lots of questions. Once we have something that is worth reading, then we surely can move it into a new section. For now please create new threads in General Discussion, if no other existing sub-forum fits. Threads can always be rearranged later.

datadog

We do not have any answers yet, only lots of questions. Once we have something that is worth reading, then we surely can move it into a new section. For now please create new threads in General Discussion, if no other existing sub-forum fits. Threads can always be rearranged later.

I think there will be some sort of release to dealers Tuesday. We owe it to them to inform them first. After that, the same info will go out to customers. I'm going to be here to take questions from everyone and try to provide support, The time to get support will be short. Stand by.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
While I don't require support at the moment, it is definitely reassuring to know that parts and tech support will be available in the event I manage to wad my bike into a tree.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The more I see posts of busted displays, that’s making me want to do something with mine, like move it or put some protection over top of it.
I bought one of those Fasst Company's Flexx Hanglebars a few months ago. The Alta can feel a bit heavy on choppy and on sand tracks, so I thought a flexible bar could help.

1541469820190.png

I have not installed it yet. I wanted to make sure that the forks work well before I start messing with the handlebars. But now I am thinking I should install it sooner. The dash almost fits between the two cross-bars. If they are spread out by just 1mm, the dash can be dropped right in between them.

Fasst guys made a special pad for me with a cutout for the dash. But the dash still sits somewhat above the cross bars. I am thinking I will look for a way to drop it lower. They offered to machine the cross bars just a bit, thin them out, but at that time I did not think it was urgent. Now I am thinking differently.

snydes

Staff member
I think there will be some sort of release to dealers Tuesday. We owe it to them to inform them first. After that, the same info will go out to customers. I'm going to be here to take questions from everyone and try to provide support, The time to get support will be short. Stand by.

Crossing my fingers that @Bloak and I can get our battery situations taken care of in this time.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I appreciate what you are doing. And I know the frustration that comes with having inside information and waiting to have permission to put it out. Again I appreciate what you are doing. Look forward to some good news in the near future.

datadog

There are no batteries available, and the displays are unknown. Really bad news for those with battery issues. Sorry.

snydes

Staff member
If they are opening up a window of support and they can’t provide any support (no displays, no batteries), than I’m not sure what support is being offered. I guess moral support.