Alta kit bike

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I've always thought the biggest mistake Alta made was not having a reverse button. So easy to implement.

Thanks. implement that when we made sure an operator, doesn't act like a dingus and rip throttle ... wonder why Zero hasn't done the same thing. It's even easier with a Sevcon.

Mark911

You think we got thermal problems with our packs now, switching to pouch cells would make that even worse given passive cooling. Plus the pack would probably weigh more as the energy/weight density isn't as good. I have no experience with Zero bikes but I'd expect they'd be unacceptable for our purposes for many reasons. Unless of course, range is your only design criteria.

Sumik

EVERYBODY -- Apparently, Alta never owned the motor's design. They never paid for it.

You can still buy it from a guy in Taiwan. And I am sure they will help with the controller logic for it.

The difficult patent to get around is the motor housing integrated with the frame patent.

Tiveni, or somebody else, will supply the battery packs, if we can piggyback on their existing products with our non-existent production volumes, and if they would want to talk to us.

And @Arlin Sansome will supply the controllers, thank you.

But If we can buy the frame design back from BRP, then continuing to build competitive Altas will be ridiculously easy and fun.
Philip, do you know the name of the motor producer from Taiwan?

Mark911

Interesting, although the max rpm of ANY PMAC motor in their catalog is 9000, with 4000 being the max rpm for a similar Kw motor. They probably developed a rotor that could keep the surface mount magnets from flying off at high rpm, in this case 12,000 according to Alta. Rotors with interior magnets might be required for this speed, but from my research they're less suited for our application.

Did you pull the stator/rotor? If so, pictures would be great!

Arlin Sansome

Anyone have any cad files for any parts of the bike?
It would be interesting to get an estimate on how much it will cost to get the frame cast.

Judaslefourbe

It would be interesting to get an estimate on how much it will cost to get the frame cast.
I am sorry but I can't hold it anymore: I recommend you stop trying to find ideas on how to replicate/improve the bike. From what you are writing, it seems you have no engineering/automotive/EV experience (which is ok, nothing wrong with that) and the last few ideas you propose will get somebody badly hurt, if not killed.

If I misunderstood what you meant in your posts, I apologize. If I didn't, I urge you to educate yourself fully on whatever you are proposing before making any decision.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry but I can't hold it anymore: I recommend you stop trying to find ideas on how to replicate/improve the bike. From what you are writing, it seems you have no engineering/automotive/EV experience (which is ok, nothing wrong with that) and the last few ideas you propose will get somebody badly hurt, if not killed.

If I misunderstood what you meant in your posts, I apologize. If I didn't, I urge you to educate yourself fully on whatever you are proposing before making any decision.
I am curious to know how many millions of dollars and years Alta Motors has spent developing, testing and revising the frame...

privateer703

AOF Addict
I think he's coming from the fact that casting your own frame is a bad idea. Not only would it cost more than buying a second used Alta, you are very likely to develop cracking at the stem. Factory frames are probably made with 6061 custom extrusions then welded together. The welds at the stem are much stronger than any cast aluminum material. This is why I suggested that a "kit" be made for an existing ICE bike frame.
If you want to try and have it made out of Carbon Fiber.. we would all love to see that!

Reactions: Rix

privateer703

AOF Addict
Well unless you have cast your own frame before, it very much would be a trial. I'm not saying it's not possible, all I'm saying is that Alta went out of business cause they couldn't afford to produce these bikes, so the idea that a low cost production method will produce the same results is not the safest way to go about it. I would personally love to see you try it, but unless you have the money and tools to do some destructive testing I strongly warn against taking it off any jumps.
I guess for me the bigger question is why? I mean you know you're not going to develop a full bike, and this is probably the one part of the bike we will never need to replace.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I would say if you have a damaged frame, then maybe we can find a spare that might be floating around to help you get your bike fixed. If you want to build an entire bike, my point was to build it off an existing bike frame and save yourself some headache, cost, and possibly broken bones. But like I said, if you want to build a whole bike from scratch yourself then I say go for it, I'd love to see it. AGAIN, not saying it can't be done, just pointing out some of the possible issues.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Well maybe there is some misunderstanding then. But to me, what it sounds like you are attempting to do is design an entire bike and sell it as a box of parts. I was under the impression the idea was to take the heart of the Alta (battery/motor/drive) so it can be put it a number of different chassis'. I mean why re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. Would love to see it, good luck.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I think he's coming from the fact that casting your own frame is a bad idea. Not only would it cost more than buying a second used Alta, you are very likely to develop cracking at the stem. Factory frames are probably made with 6061 custom extrusions then welded together. The welds at the stem are much stronger than any cast aluminum material. This is why I suggested that a "kit" be made for an existing ICE bike frame.
If you want to try and have it made out of Carbon Fiber.. we would all love to see that!
So......are you saying we cant just take our bikes apart down to the frame, build cast box and get some casting sand, cast a mold of our frames, melt down some aluminum cans from Bubba's metal recycle yard, and make a replacement frame for our Altas? Insert preferred imoji here.