Alta kit bike

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
1 - It looks awesome
2 - The frame has to handle different forces than on a ICE bike on an MX track
3 - It looks awesome
4 - It is indeed part of the cooling system (coolant runs on the inside of the side panels of the frame)
5 - It looks awesome
6 - We wanted to fare better than ICE bikes frame because we expected the life of the motorcycle to be much longer (twice?) as a normal dirtbike
7 - It looks awesome
8 - Like most first generation products, it is over-engineered and could have been made lighter/better (now that we proved it can handle the business)
9 - It looks effin' awesome

Amen!

F451

Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

View attachment 2686
Exactly what my simple mind has been picturing. How much time and money would it take, no idea. How well would the final iteration work? No idea. Lots of considerations regarding weight distribution, frame flex characteristics. Millions spent on R&D by the OEM's to get these bikes right, but I like the idea as the quickest way to "get there".

Nice work on the photoshop btw, thanks for posting. -Ed

F451

Re kit bikes, there's a thread about a Honda prototype/show bike recently posted on the forum that I just posted a link to here a bit ago and it was moved to the thread about the Honda for some reason. Makes no sense in that thread so I deleted it.

Was just trying to show how an OEM EV bike could look, and also as a heads up, in that if you're going to take the time, effort, and money to build a kit bike, you might want to be aware that one of the majors just dropped what "looks" like a bike that is not far from prime time. Could be years, if ever, before its on showroom floors, but thought it was relevant to this thread.

If this info is not relevant, mods feel free to delete this post.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Re kit bikes, there's a thread about a Honda prototype/show bike recently posted on the forum that I just posted a link to here a bit ago and it was moved to the thread about the Honda for some reason. Makes no sense in that thread so I deleted it.
Sorry, dude, I didn't understand what you were trying to show right away.

Honda CR Electric! Yes!

Yes, it looks like a typical Honda. In fact, it looks like a CFR with a nice compact electric powertrain kit on it.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
What
Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

View attachment 2686
Whats really neat and realistic about this photo-shopped KTM/Alta is that a kit bike conversion would be easy to mod a KTM frame. Chromolly tubing is so easy to work with. A quality 140 amp mig welder and a chop saw would be all one needed to modify the frame to fit a bigger battery and some type of gear reduction DC or AC motor conversion. Hell, even with an aluminum frame and a decent gas tungsten arc welder and high quality aluminum wire, aluminum frames could be modded as well.

Mark911

As I recall, the KTM swingarm is about 1 inch longer than the Alta even though the wheelbases are similar. Since the swingarm pivot point is a typical datum for much of the bike's geometry one could conclude that simply swapping parts as shown would result in a "front heavy" bike, probably around 52%. Alta's current weight distribution is about 50/50 and most ICE bikes around 46-48% in the front. I'd look at moving the pack as far back as possible and tilting it back at the top to get back to a 50/50 distribution.