Alta kit bike

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Guys the chemistry is what determines the energy/powerdensity/cycle life etc. 2170 cells are bigger to get the increase in energy so you will have to re-design the pack. But it might be easy. The challenge here is the bonded wire fuses on each cell. Tesla does this with an ultrasonic welded. There is a lot of ways to make a pack. But to make one with safety in mind will not be easy.
There's nothing safe about a motorcycle to begin with, so why are we worried about such a little thing in our batteries???

:p

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
EVERYBODY -- Apparently, Alta never owned the motor's design. They never paid for it.

You can still buy it from a guy in Taiwan. And I am sure they will help with the controller logic for it.

The difficult patent to get around is the motor housing integrated with the frame patent.

Tiveni, or somebody else, will supply the battery packs, if we can piggyback on their existing products with our non-existent production volumes, and if they would want to talk to us.

And @Arlin Sansome will supply the controllers, thank you.

But If we can buy the frame design back from BRP, then continuing to build competitive Altas will be ridiculously easy and fun.
This is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Wouldn't mind a two-wheel drive option at the push of a button. Could be a "low" speed option only via a momentary switch that controls a small front wheel hub.
This would be pretty awesome, but I can already get the bike to do some impressive climbing... Not sure how much more assistance would really be needed.

Arlin Sansome

This would be pretty awesome, but I can already get the bike to do some impressive climbing... Not sure how much more assistance would really be needed.
Its only handy for weird situations like mud or when the front is against something. The problem is the additional un-sprung weight. But keeping the front motor low power will keep it lighter. First lets get the Kit Bike going. Then we can add cool features. This will take effort from man and money from many.

-Arlin

wildman240

My desire is more for mud...we had mud holes deep enough in the last SORCS race I did to eat whole bikes. I was literally standing in mud as thick as concrete slurry up to my knees.
1552505389156.png

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Yup, you found mud alright!!!
I can see how a 2wd option would be quite handy in mud now that you mention it. I am reminded of some footage of the Yamaha 2 Trac racing a European stage of the Dakar many years ago, every other racer had trouble in the mud in a particular corner, and the Yamaha came through like it was on dry pavement.

Arlin Sansome

2x2 alta already done:
I would not Ride that on an MX track! That front wheel is likely 30lbs heavier than OEM and the AXLE will be very weak as the phase wires run though it.

What attracts me to an MXR is the True MX blood! IF you wanted something like that its very easy to do. But keeping it Light weight and MX worthy is not easy BUT I do have some ideas. :)

schwankl

ya that logos 2x2 redshift is more enduro to end-of-world niche. built-in hybrid / generator that can run on jet fuel, diesel, or pretty much any liquid fuel might come in handy in ww3, mx track: not so much.

Arlin Sansome

ya that logos 2x2 redshift is more enduro to end-of-world niche. built-in hybrid / generator that can run on jet fuel, diesel, or pretty much any liquid fuel might come in handy in ww3, mx track: not so much.
I would love to carry a micro jet turbine in my backpack to go camping way out there and charge the bike from a litre of fuel only when needed. I will likely make a backpack reserve battery with ~2kwh of energy for longer trips and hook it to a DC/DC that will top off the Alta when I get to the local track.

wildman240

I would not Ride that on an MX track! That front wheel is likely 30lbs heavier than OEM and the AXLE will be very weak as the phase wires run though it.

What attracts me to an MXR is the True MX blood! IF you wanted something like that its very easy to do. But keeping it Light weight and MX worthy is not easy BUT I do have some ideas. :)
I don't do mx...so don't care too much about in-flight balance. But I like that hybrid kit...but on an SM so I can make it to work and back. We even have charging stations at work so I really just need to get there.