220v/110v Charging Question.

Trialsman

I have a 2017 MX and the dealer in GA told me the charger could operate on either 110v or 220v although it was currently wired for 110. The cord and the label on the charger are for 110v/220v but it is three wires, yellow/green, black, and white only. The dealer in Pgh said it could only operate on 110v.

So which is it ??????????

I want to wire it for 110v if I can't find a 220v outlet but wish to use the 220v dryer type outlet I have for my welders. Do I then rewire with two seperate wires (one 3-wire and one four-wire) all the way from the charger unit? Or should I take four-wire up to the GFI and run two pigtails plus a ground from there? The charger is Alg 1000 312V2K5W 389V8A
1400/2420 E5789 built 11/8/16. Thanks for your responses.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Your standard charger is capable of both 120V and 240V. It comes with a 120V plug.

The optional rapid charger is also capable of both 120V and 240V. It comes with a 240V plug.

You can surely install a 240V plug on it. Of you can make an adapter. This thread has the instructions for a 240 female - 120V male adapter for the rapid charger, but you need the inverse of that.

240v plug to 110v plug adapter

Whatever you do, connect Ground to Ground, and do not connect the 240V Neutral wire to anything. You only need three wires.

Trialsman

Thanks Phillip,

I guess the easiest way will be leave the existing wiring as is and build an adapter to plug into the 220v outlet. It could be just a short 110v female to a 220v male with a short wire in between. I will leave the 220v neutral white empty then.

WoodsWeapon

Thanks Phillip,

I guess the easiest way will be leave the existing wiring as is and build an adapter to plug into the 220v outlet. It could be just a short 110v female to a 220v male with a short wire in between. I will leave the 220v neutral white empty then.
Yes this is correct.

Trialsman

I bought the parts and wired up the adapter. Going backwards from the charger to the wall I wired a 50amp 220v dryer male end to the GFI unit input. One ground and two legs of hot. Next there is a female 50amp 220 box which has a short piece of three wire coming out to a male 110v plug. Ground is straight through, Black is straight through, but the white will act as neutral on 110v and as one leg of hot on 220v. Switching is done automatically internal by the charger correct? I plugged everything together and the 110v charger works as usual charging the bike. I am hesitant to plug into the 220v for quick charge until I can confirm the internal circuitry will be able to handle the current. Look at the picture and confirm or reject what I have done before I plug it in please.

IMG_4186.jpgIMG_4187.jpgIMG_4188.jpgIMG_4185.JPG

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Someone else should check this. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Switching is done automatically internal by the charger correct?
Yes, I can confirm this.

img_4188-jpg.939
What is this metal box? No Neutral wire?

snydes

Staff member
That for sure would work for 240v, my only concern (and I’m getting a little mixed up on which plug is which) would have been making sure white plugs into white, black plugs into black for the sake of 120v operation in case it matters for the charger, but since you already tried it as is then it sounds like you are good to go.

Trialsman

I have checked polarity with a meter all the way through and white does go to white, black to black. The metal box is the housing for the female 220v connector which has the stub wire to the 110v plug.

Trialsman

If using a four wire - (3 plus ground) there are two legs of hot, a neutral, and the ground. Some places use three wire - (two legs of hot and one ground - no neutral). This is usually in an electric dryer three prong 220v plug.

snydes

Staff member
I am still not sure what I am looking at. The white wire on the 240V is usually Neutral. The two hot wires are black and red.
The white is essentially the red in this configuration. Just focus on the connection at the chargers GFCI, there are only three terminals, when it’s connected to 120v white is neutral, on 240v white is the other 120v phase. Whatever magic happens on the other side of that GFCI is beyond me.