240v female to 110v male adapter

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Looking for a link for an adapter pig tail in case a 240v plug isn't available for the fast charger?

snydes

Staff member
The fast charger will come with the 240v plug. You would need to make an adapter if you want to plug into 110v though.

stretch67

It really bugs me that there is not more info from Alta on this.

There is some good info in the fast charging thread, page 2.
https://altaownersforum.com/threads/alta-fast-charger.57/page-2

Important nugget from thread: Alta 3300 Fast Charger: 12A√ (120V, 1,400W), 16A√ (240V, 3,800W)

I'm not an Electrician so do this at your own risk, but here is basically what I bought and wired it like the diagram Alta gave in the thread.
All is working well for me. You may want to go with a larger wire gage but 12A off of 120V, this should be ok.

Reliance Controls Twist Lock 30-Amp 125/250-Volt Connector-L1430C - The Home Depot

Southwire 3 ft. 16/3-Gauge SJTW Power Supply Cord, Black-97038808 - The Home Depot

Diagram
1528976851791.png

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
The fast charger will come with the 240v plug. You would need to make an adapter if you want to plug into 110v though.
That's what I'm looking for is an adapter to a110v outlet. Am I going to have to become a sparky or is something commercially ie quality available. Hate to burn up a 800$ charger or worse a 13k motorcycle...

snydes

Staff member
That's what I'm looking for is an adapter to a110v outlet. Am I going to have to become a sparky or is something commercially ie quality available. Hate to burn up a 800$ charger or worse a 13k motorcycle...

Ah, ok, I misunderstood your question. These adapter cords are really only applicable to using these chargers, and in the hands of the uninformed could cause damage/fires/etc. if used for anything else. That’s why you won’t find Alta putting anything on “paper” about them. Liability issues.

It’s really simple though if you want to make one, you need an L14-30R 240v connector and a 5-15P 120v plug and a short piece of 14/3 or better cord. I hesitate to go into wiring details on a public forum for similar reasons but it’s not complicated. PM me if you need help.

Speedkills

I want this so bad, it kills me that when I want to go for a ride there are electric charging stations all over but I am stuck slow charging on 110v. Makes me jealous of the zero guys with their super chargers. Every time I think of it I feel so sad I need to immediately go bust a wheelie to remind myself why I didn’t purchase a zero. Still though...would love one of their supercharger type setups.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I want this so bad, it kills me that when I want to go for a ride there are electric charging stations all over but I am stuck slow charging on 110v. Makes me jealous of the zero guys with their super chargers. Every time I think of it I feel so sad I need to immediately go bust a wheelie to remind myself why I didn’t purchase a zero. Still though...would love one of their supercharger type setups.
Zero didn't get a very good review from cycle news - they typically will just give the marketing reviews that require reading between the lines...

2018 Zero FX | FULL TEST - Cycle News

Duncan

I made a 240V to 120V adapter from Home Depot parts.

At first I did it the wrong way, from the 120V male plug I connected the black (120V hot) to both the X and Y terminals of the L14-30R female 240V socket, green ground to G and white neutral to W. This is called bridged.

Didn't work.

Then I corrected it, following Stretch 657 diagram above, black goes to X and white goes to Y and nothing goes to W.

Butch

Poseur
Ha! I too made a 220 adapter from Home Depot parts. I too screwed up the first time. Mine was dumber, using the female 220 instead of the male... Easier to see the mistake though. Easy to remedy.

strider

I want to make one so I can use the electric car charging stations. Like at Whole Paycheck/ Jeff Bezos Foods. And Carnegie has an EV charging station. Car receptical and 110...
The 110V outlet is simple, the J1772 "car" plug not so much. You will need some electronics to send a specific signal to the EVSE (that's what the charging pedestal is called) to initiate electricity. Unless you have an SM you'll still need the charger to convert the AC from the EVSE into DC for the battery.

Speedkills

I do have an SM so that would work great for me. I don’t know enough about charging standards, but with the DC chargers, do they reduce what is needed on the bike (size/weight wise)?

snydes

Staff member
We had one of their guys on here (DigiNow) and they didn’t seem like they wanted to be bothered with Altas at this stage of the game.

strider

I do have an SM so that would work great for me. I don’t know enough about charging standards, but with the DC chargers, do they reduce what is needed on the bike (size/weight wise)?
With DC charging you don't need a charger on the bike at all. In fact, the bike needs to be wired to allow for the charger to be bypassed when using a DC charger. The problem is that the vehicle needs to be able to tell the charger how much juice to send at what voltage, when to taper the charge, shut off, etc. To do that there are a few different protocols. Tesla has their own. There is also Chademo (used by the Nissan Leaf and a bunch of others) and there're now a DC charging spec from the SAE (part of J1772). The short version is that the vehicle needs to be built to allow for DC charging from the beginning. It's not something you can retrofit.

You could build a cable with a signaling box to go from a J1772 EVSE (208-240VAC) to the bike but we'd either need Alta's help with the signaling or you'd have to reverse engineer it by watching the signaling between the current charger and batter. Note this is for the SM since it has an onboard charger. For the MX/EX bikes you still need the Alta charger.

Top Bottom