2019 EXR. Hello. I'm Ben and . . .

BenEXR

I know, I'm in the right place with my fellow 12-steppers here in PBAnonymous. I love it.

I also love that some of you guys are "early adopters" of some of the very first generations of e-bikes as I know I know next to nothing about what is out there other than an Automobile review of a Cake and someone had mentioned Zero bikes but the Zero is not nearly as off-road focused like the Alta's are/is. Then you guys mention Stealth Bomber.

The knowledge that many of you have has me wanting it and I'm going to be reading like crazy on here.

I'm ready to go to the only local dealer after work today and see, sit and test ride one.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Then you guys mention Stealth Bomber.

The knowledge that many of you have has me wanting it and I'm going to be reading like crazy on here.

I'm ready to go to the only local dealer after work today and see, sit and test ride one.
To me it was one of the least satisfying motor vehicles that I owned. There were too many wrong things with it from its design -- to execution -- to performance. It prompted me to sell it before it would depreciate down to nothing and buy an Alta before there was a dealer in my own or any neighboring states.

BenEXR

I got to ride a 2018 EX and boy oh boy, now I know what I have been missing. It is just so cool to twist and go. Mode4 on the street, all the power I need and I only got to tool around on a very short dirt road but based on the small street I got to ride on, I will NOT need more power. The smooth and silent is exactly what I had expected and it delivered.

Overall the bike just looked awesome.

I put my deposit on the next EXR and I'm 2nd in line. The advisor had mentioned that Alta had taken away the "Order Now" button as they cannot keep up with demand for the EXR. He had mentioned that it might be until December before one becomes available.

There was one MXR on the floor, one was sold and there was an MX and the EX was a demo for sale at $9,700. I thought quick about getting the EX but I want the latest and greatest.

Now I wait, which is no problem as it is getting colder up here and the riding season will be done soon plus, at the start of December I will put the Camso DTS 129 kit on my Beta and snowbike all winter but if the bike does come in December and I'll expect it to arrive in January, on the warmer days I'll still ride this winter.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
that would be cool, but i want one thats more like an electric motor and has the power through out the range, not just come on and then sign off like how my redshift is at mimicking a gas bike
Have you tried Map 4 yet? That, and a 14T front sprocket, and your MX will have a linear power. No more goon throttle twisting.

BenEXR

I'm in MA. The closest dealer is 40 miles away. The closest dealer with an EXR is in PA-500 miles away.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I don't know either of them but, are they from Pilgrim? I just looked them up and they have an EXR in stock. Hmmmmm.

Yes, Pilgrim. I haven't checked out their stock but I was happy with the deal I got from them.

BenEXR

Yes, Pilgrim. I haven't checked out their stock but I was happy with the deal I got from them.

Yes, I think I had seen Paul's name as he is the owner of Pilgrim Powersports down in Plymouth.

I was sort of happy that Souhegan didn't have the bike in stock and that it could take up to December to get but, if I really wanted one, I could go and get the EXR in Plymouth, if they still have it.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I'm in CT, and I have family in Plymouth, so I decided on Pilgram instead of Souhegan. Both places can be tough to get to due to traffic. I have some warranty work that needs to be done but I'm putting it off because it's a 4 hour round trip without traffic!

BenEXR

I'm in CT, and I have family in Plymouth, so I decided on Pilgram instead of Souhegan. Both places can be tough to get to due to traffic. I have some warranty work that needs to be done but I'm putting it off because it's a 4 hour round trip without traffic!

It is a nice coincidence as Will up at Souhegan had mentioned that guys have been driving up from CT to buy EXR's on account of that while there are places to ride-illegally, unless one has a silent-bike, it is not exactly wise to do so but a silent bike, and not tearing it up at all, is looked at as nothing more than a big mountain bike, especially as he said that walkers/hikers always say hi now that there is no noice, chat a bit and walk away, generally impressed with no sound.

My (lame) concern is how we may be seeing new rules/policies written on the banning/prohibition on e-bikes on trails for bikes/walkers/hikers/horses, or will we? Are e-bikers generally more gentle on the land due to the relatively high-cost of buy-in?

Souhegan is 40 miles from me. Pilgrim is 70 miles-but they have the bike, so far.

It is the hardest thing with these "exotics" as dealers are just, so far, so few and far between. Still, 2 hours one way is something, perhaps dedication and in a good way(if there is any good out of it) tells me that the bike is worth it on so many levels.

I bought a Beta in 2017 as the closest dealer is 25 miles north. It has been at the shop for 14 work-days and I'm still waiting for them to fix a no-start condition that has to do with the starter/electronics and nothing with the engine as the engine is fine. It is part of the reason why I'm considering/want the EXR. I'm not sure that I'd want to take a longer drive to a dealer than the 40 miles I might have to go to Souhegan if/when something comes up with the EXR.

I agree with the traffic for sure. There are no real direct routes to get to either place as I have go go through Boston to get to Plymouth-but it would probably only be a one-time thing for the purchase. Souhegan is not too bad for me as 40 miles is easy compared to the 4 hour RT you have to do, with no traffic.

In another life I'd love to start an Alta dealership/repair shop. Hmmmmmmmmm, more good thoughts. But then again, after thinking about it, as has been said before, "The quickest/fastest way to ruin a most enjoyable hobby is to turn it into a job."

snydes

Staff member
It's the standard situation with our membership here and their proximity to dealers. It seems no matter where a dealer pops up, it's 2 hours away from anyone owning or considering one. I just made the 4 hour round trip yesterday to get my firmware updated. I have 3 dealers all of which are almost exactly 2 hours away from me o_O. I wouldn't have gone and done it but I seem to have some extra time on my hands (or hand) right now and figured it would be a good time to take care of it.

BenEXR

I will absolutely consider myself lucky/fortunate, if I have a dealer 40 miles away and another 70 miles as that is nothing compared to 2 hours. Once again, it speaks volumes to how good this bike is if you guys are willingly buying and riding the bikes knowing that if anything comes up, that one will travel 2 hours one way to get things sorted and even for simple(what should be simple anyway) firmware updates.

Not to self, make sure dealer has latest firmware before picking up bike.

BenEXR

Are you buying from Paul and Larry?
I just spoke with Paul and am now waiting for a call from Larry.

I had mentioned that you had good things to say about them and Paul was happy to hear that. Powersports people are usually my kind of people.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Warranty work is an issue at any dealership, irrespective of the distance. These bikes are totally different from any other bike the dealers work on. It's a learning curve for everyone, and sometimes it's a steep curve with bumps.

I would have no issue buying from one dealer and getting it serviced at another, especially when one doesn't know when they can get a "retail sold" order fulfilled. Dealers may fell differently but if Alta can't get them the bike to sell it's an issue that the Alta rep has to address.

BenEXR

I'm lucky as I have had a lot of good luck with NOT needing warranty work on my things.

I agree, I don't think the dealer I had visited yesterday would mind that I bought from somewhere and brought it to them for warranty. I had even forgotten or didn't even take into account that there might even be a warranty at all and to see that the drivetrain is for 2 years/24 months, like, wow! That is very comforting. I think that they could understand and like most businesses, they want future business.

What a problem to have, too much demand and not enough supply.