2019 EXR. Hello. I'm Ben and . . .

BenEXR

. . . yes. I'm also an addict.

I love to ride dirt. I have been living to ride on the dirt. I made my mind up today, that I'm going to order a 2019 EXR. It will be the right bike for me.

This is me:

Had a 125cc 2S, 250cc 2S. 250cc 4S, and then 2 CR500Rs and currently have a 2017 Beta 500 RR-S.

In 2009, when my firstborn son was on his way, I sold my streetbike and dirtbike.

This past spring, because my roundtrip commute back and forth to work was now 11 miles, and I wanted to dirtbike again, I got a 2017 Beta 500 RR-S. It has been the perfect "Triple-sport" bike. I say Triple Sport because the RR-S is really an enduro bike, with a 4S 478cc fuel-injected motor that is fast. It is fast and because Beta was good enough to get the bike street legal, I can ride on any road in this, the United States of America, and then go on any legal trail, and not worry about one, single, thing, other than maybe not having the proper off-road trail pass that might be needed in some state where I won't be, yet. Anyway, Triple-Sport because I got a Camso DTS 129 kit for it last winter and riding a snowbike is THE. Most. FUN. Thing, I will ever do, on. This. Earth. Yes. Snowbiking to me, really is that much fun. It is the pinnacle of motorsports for me. The problem is;

I love to ride on dirt. I love easy. I love quiet and I love smooth, easy power. See, there is that word that will keep on coming up my post. Easy. I have a Rekluse, Radius CX in my Beta and it makes my bike easy to ride and I have been loving my Beta. The great thing is that I know I'm going to love and Alta Redshift EXR because it is quiet, and fast, and easy to ride. No gears. Not even a clutch lever if I wanted one. Just twist and go. Just what I want as I'm already an awesome rider(ha), that I can get up and down and across any trail, no problem, that I can see that when I get on an EXR, I will NEVER want to get off.

I'm going to leave it at that for now as I'll have to wait to call my local dealer, on Tuesday, and see what I will need to do to get the ball rolling for a 2019 Redshift EXR as their website does not show that they have one in stock.

Please tell me what MUST-HAVE's to get before I place my order, like the chargers and any other accessory that I will need down the road/trail.

I'm excited to be a part of this forum and can't do anything but to look forward to getting an EXR.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
must haves would be a helmet & a calculated wrist - charger is included maybe a generator for field charging & a way to haul it!

BenEXR

Thanks. You were my very first reply on this awesome forum.

Helmet-Shoei VFX-R and another dual sport helmet, shoot, I can't even remember the name of it with a drop down sunvisor-it will come to me but I have helmets. Oh yeah, an NEXX XD-1 dual sport helmet for the street.

Calculated wrist. I have a Quick Turn throttle on the Open Class bike, Mode4=ready!

Regular charger included. I think I saw a rapid charger for another $800.

Generator for the field-going to think about it as range is not making me anxious, yet.

Haul it?, I got a 7x14 SnoPro SNO 714 enclosed, ride in-ride out trailer just to be able to ride the snowbike in and out easily-as there is no reverse on the snowbike, and for all of the families dirtbikes, plus, a 2-place Versahaul and a 1 place Versahaul. Even the wife's truck can tow/haul/use the same VersaHaul's as her truck has the same towing 7,700lb capacity as well as 716 lb tongue weight limit.

It is good to know that there aren't any/many other accessories that Alta sells that we really need for their bikes other than all the bolt-on protection stuff that I don't run and have never run on any of my bikes.

I'm looking forward to getting an EXR, can you tell?

BenEXR

Yayyyyy, me.

Member #234, I think as I was the last to join. My local dealer has a 2018 but I really want the upgrades that the 2019 comes with.

I can only imagine how incredible the EXR is going to be. I can hardly wait.

WoodsWeapon

You’ll need barkbusters if youre riding woods at any significant speed, and along with that speed will come some suspension work. Reports are all over the place, but if you ride an EXR hard it’s dangerously soft in my opinion.

snydes

Staff member
Regular charger included. I think I saw a rapid charger for another $800.

There is one point you should be clear on going in. I know on the EX's the price had included the regular/standard 2.7kW charger, but I'm not sure what the situation is on the EXR. If you get an EXR, you want the 3.3kW (rapid) charger. There has been some dealer confusion where they are telling people the one only does 120v and the other only 240v. That is false, they both charge on either voltage, the 3.3kW charger was designed for the R pack bikes (MXR/EXR). There is no point in having both.

Oh and welcome!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I see there is a confusion in this thread about chargers. The Standard charger might be included in the dealer price, but I do not think it is included for free.

The Standard chargers were included only with the 2017 models, before the huge $4,500 price drop happened and the MXR models came out with an option of Rapid chargers. After that they were $499 for the Standard and $799 for the Rapid.

If this slightly faster charging (22% faster) is important to you, or if you prefer a nice plastic Pelican carrying case, then you should order the Rapid charger for extra $300 at the time of the bike purchase. I heard that after the bike purchase the price of the Rapid charger goes up ~$1,500.

Slayer

Budget for your next rear tire. The stock Metzeler is awesome, but you can actually hear it wearing on the pavement under normal riding conditions.

strider

Rim Lock, Tubeliss, or equivalent. Alta does not install a rim lock on the EXR. The wheel has the extra hole in the rim for it.

BenEXR

Thanks for all the help.

My dealer has a 2018 EX. I want the 2019 EXR with whatever upgrades there are to the battery and everything else.

I will make sure I get a rapid charger.

Rear-tires, ha! I have been using Pirelli Scorpion Pro DOT tires and am on my fourth rear tire including the stock Michelin tire that came with the bike and am on the 2nd front tire. They wear very well.

I will also make sure to get a rim lock and it is good to know that the rim has the hole for it.

A rapid charger for $300 at time of purchase is a good deal as compared to buying it afterwards for sure.

BenEXR

I will definitely be getting the rapid charger for sure.

I'm going to call the dealer sometime this morning and see about a 2019 EXR and will report back.

It is hard up this way as it will be winter soon and in about a month, too cold to ride back and forth to work but it will be good as if a bike needs to be ordered, I really won't be missing riding at all.

BenEXR

The dealer just called me and provided my credit application is approved, he will then speak with his Alta rep about getting a 2019 EXR.

I now wait for the next phone call.

BenEXR

I've been approved. Having excellent credit is a great thing.

The Alta representative was sick. As soon as my salesperson gets a timeline on the next available EXR, he will let me know.

I will go after work to test ride whatever bike they have as the demo.

I'm psyched about joining y'all here.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
<in chorus>
HI BEN.
Hello Ben and welcome to Performance Ebikes Anonymous. I, like you, am an addict to. My addiction started in early 2012 when I bought my first electric bike, the Stealth Bomber. It was fun and convenient. I used it almost daily for the first 2 years. I found myself riding mountain bike trails back before ebikes were a known thing. As with all addictions, I had to increase my dose to get the same high. My Stealth Bomber produced just over 5kw of power. WHen that wasn't enough, I built an ebike that produced 12 kw of power. When that wasn't enough, I bought the 2019 Alta EXR which produces almost 40kw of power. I finally feel my addiction is under control as I haven't had the need to chase anything with more power than my Alta EXR. Its perfect.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ben and welcome to Performance Ebikes Anonymous. I, like you, am an addict to. My addiction started in early 2012 when I bought my first electric bike, the Stealth Bomber. It was fun and convenient. I used it almost daily for the first 2 years. I found myself riding mountain bike trails back before ebikes were a known thing. As with all addictions, I had to increase my dose to get the same high. My Stealth Bomber produced just over 5kw of power. WHen that wasn't enough, I built an ebike that produced 12 kw of power. When that wasn't enough, I bought the 2019 Alta EXR which produces almost 40kw of power. I finally feel my addiction is under control as I haven't had the need to chase anything with more power than my Alta EXR. Its perfect.
I have to admit that I went thought the same vicious cycle, only quicker, because I have less self-control and the drug is very powerful. Bought and sold my 6.2kW Stealth Bomber in 2017, then bought and sold a 30kW Redshift MX, then bought a 40kW Redshift MXR. Now that the increased dose is not having the same effect, I am longing for more. I think a 50kW Redshift should do it. I hope my "dealer" could help me score.