Warnings on dashboard on new MXR

allesad

How do you know that a firmware update is "available"? :unsure: How do you know which are applicable? :rolleyes: and the firmware history??
There needs to be some release notes and applicability charts somewhere.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
How do you know that a firmware update is "available"? :unsure: How do you know which are applicable? :rolleyes: and the firmware history??
There needs to be some release notes and applicability charts somewhere.

You bring up a good point which is how do we determine if there are updates needed on our bikes.

I'm sure there are some dealers with service departments that are on top of updates because it's an important revenue source. It's those dealers that will reach out to their Alta customers and let them know there is an available update. Other dealers have service departments that are disorganized and playing catch-up with the work load, therefore their Alta customers are less likely to be informed of updates.

Perhaps Alta is aware of the disparity among the dealer base and will send out information directly to the owners, allowing the customer to drive the service request instead of the dealer. This would not be beneficial to the dealer (much better ROI when you call a customer to remind or suggest service), but it would inform the Alta owner.

In the meantime, the burden of determining if there are updates will be on the Alta service team in the form of replying to request for such info from us owners. Certainly not efficient, but hey, it's a growing company and we all expect growing pains.

bluefxstc

Given the limited number of dealers it is too bad that Alta can't do this wirelessly. I specifically bought the Alta because there is a dealer locally. I didn't look at a Zero becuase the closest Zero dealer is about 5-6 hours away. Seems to me that for a couple of hundred bucks, if that, they could design a wireless board that would plug into the bike so that they could access the bike and troubleshoot it remotely. Having to drive 2 hours one way just to troubleshoot a problem is really unacceptable if you are going to have a mainstream product.

snydes

Staff member
I agree, new dealers are popping up every week though it seems. I’m hoping for one closer to home, I have 3 dealers all a little over two hours from me.

Gertech

I would hope that all of the MXRs have the latest updates. Steve at HVMC assured me that mine would have had that done while setting the bike up, as Alta pays them to update all bikes before sale.

I also talked to Steve again, and it seems that one of the two relays that are built into the top of the battery failed. That was what was causing my issues getting the bike to charge, and it not taking a complete charge. There was also another code in the bike pertaining to the ignition switch, so it seems they're replacing that as a precautionary measure.

Gertech

Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know that I finally picked up my bike from HVMC this past weekend. Haven't had a chance to ride it much, only about half a battery worth, but all seems to be working well. I was told that Alta made some updates to the R pack and that's what they installed in my machine along with a new ignition switch. Here's to hoping there aren't any more issues!

Mark911

Unless Alta bought a shipload of 18650 cells (which would be great for cost but bad for performance as better cells get released all the time) I suspect they'll have "pack S/N specific" updates. They'll need to optimize each batch of packs for the specific chemistry used in those specific lots. It could get confusing over time!

strider

Hi everyone. New to the site. My son started riding on an Oset a few years ago and is now on a Kuberg Cross (Oset is now being ridden by my youngest). Now that he's getting faster I can't keep up with him on foot any more so am looking for a bike for myself. I am completely sold on the idea of electric so I'm looking at a Zero FX or Alta EXR.

What does that have to do with this thread? I've owned Tesla's since 2010. This all sounds incredibly familiar. I don't believe any of it is malicious, Alta is just running flat out trying to build bikes and solve problems every day. The flip side is that most of Alta's IP is in battery pack design and software, just like Tesla. We went through the same battle to get Tesla service manuals. To my knowledge, only people in MA can buy them and even then it's a subscription.

I agree with the person above that says the aftermarket will come in at some point. The government and legal system will also need to catch up. Those of you in rural areas may be familiar with the ongoing battles between farmers and John Deere over who owns the software and data in the tractors. This is a whole new world.

Another example w/ Tesla. The Model S has door handles that motor out of the door. There's a little paddle gear in there that pushes on the handle. The first generation gears were prone to breaking. Once the cars were out of warranty they forced people to buy the entire door handle assembly (~$500). Then a year later they finally made just the paddle gear available for $3. There weren't trying to screw their customers, they just didn't have anyone available to create the SKU make the paddle gear a separately orderable part.

For now my suggestion is to be patient as Alta tries to scale and have a good relationship with your dealer! That's one of my dilemmas. There's a Zero dealer in my town while the Alta dealer is 100 miles away in OKC.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
That's one of my dilemmas. There's a Zero dealer in my town while the Alta dealer is 100 miles away in OKC.
Imagine this: You have the best dirt bike in the world right now, and then a dealer in your town a few months later. Isn't this so much better than any other option? ;)

About one year ago Alta had just 3 dealers, all of them in California. Now there are several in almost every state. They keep popping up like mushrooms. One will surely be coming to a town near you pretty soon.

Mark911

When Alta first announced it was accepting applications for dealerships I submitted one. There's wasn't much information required so I'm not sure how they screened them but I never heard back. My guess is you need to be an established dealer of some major OEM already. Oh well!