Warnings on dashboard on new MXR

Gertech

Hi guys, so today I took my MXR to NJMP Field of Dreams in Millville, New Jersey. First time I've had it on a legit MX track and man was it good! No complaints whatsoever with this bike...it just plain works well! However, I did have 2 warnings come up on the dash:

First, I pulled over on the side of the track during a session and turned off the kill switch on the handlebar. The dash read "Service 9v starter battery". I turned the bike off, back on again and the warning was still there. Turned the switch on and hit the start button and it still turned on, so I kept riding. Didn't see that warning the rest of the day. I rode a couple more sessions until the battery was at the last bar, loaded up and went home.

Next warning. I got home, washed the bike, and then went to plug it in with my 110v charger. When I flip the switch to the run position to initialize charging, it attempts to start charging and then gives the message "Stopped: 103" and it will not charge. Anyone else have either of these issues yet? The bike still has less than 10 hours on it...

Thanks all

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Hi guys, so today I took my MXR to NJMP Field of Dreams in Millville, New Jersey. First time I've had it on a legit MX track and man was it good! No complaints whatsoever with this bike...it just plain works well! However, I did have 2 warnings come up on the dash:

First, I pulled over on the side of the track during a session and turned off the kill switch on the handlebar. The dash read "Service 9v starter battery". I turned the bike off, back on again and the warning was still there. Turned the switch on and hit the start button and it still turned on, so I kept riding. Didn't see that warning the rest of the day. I rode a couple more sessions until the battery was at the last bar, loaded up and went home.

Next warning. I got home, washed the bike, and then went to plug it in with my 110v charger. When I flip the switch to the run position to initialize charging, it attempts to start charging and then gives the message "Stopped: 103" and it will not charge. Anyone else have either of these issues yet? The bike still has less than 10 hours on it...

Thanks all
There is indeed a 9v battery. Altas YouTube channel has a video on how to replace it if you are so in inclined.

If your dealer is close by its best to have them look at it. It certainly would be covered under Warranty.

Gertech

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check out that video and likely replace the battery myself. My closest dealer is about 2 hours away, so I think I'll just take care of it. Maybe it's possible that the two issues are related. Obviously if the charging issue persists it'll have to go back to the dealer.

At any rate, I went back to the bike an hour or so later and was able to get it charging. The 9v battery warning has not come back up yet, either. :unsure:

Gertech

Update: I went out to the garage this morning to check on the bike and the battery didn't take a charge at all. I cycled the ignition and got a "Code 33 service soon" message on the dash. I was able to get it charging this time though. It took about 4.5 hours on the 110v charger. I rode it around the yard and it seems to run fine, but it keeps displaying the same "Code 33 service soon" message as I'm riding around. I guess tomorrow I'll be calling Alta to see what all this means. I'll keep you guys posted, hopefully this isn't something serious.

Judaslefourbe

Update: I went out to the garage this morning to check on the bike and the battery didn't take a charge at all. I cycled the ignition and got a "Code 33 service soon" message on the dash. I was able to get it charging this time though. It took about 4.5 hours on the 110v charger. I rode it around the yard and it seems to run fine, but it keeps displaying the same "Code 33 service soon" message as I'm riding around. I guess tomorrow I'll be calling Alta to see what all this means. I'll keep you guys posted, hopefully this isn't something serious.
When reaching out to Alta Service, please make sure to give as many details as you can (date, time, context, etc). It will help diagnose the issue.
You will most certainly be recommended to go to your dealer.

Gertech

I spoke with the service department at Alta today. Unfortunately, they weren't able to give me much information as to what the problem may be with my codes. Basically, I need to take it to the dealer and have them plug the bike in to diagnose the problem(s). That's all well and good, but unfortunately my dealer is 2 hours away. That means 8 hours in the truck if I have to leave the bike to wait for parts if that's the case. Here's to hoping it just needs an update of some kind.

Tomorrow I'll be calling the guys at Hudson Valley Motorcycles in Ossining, NY, to see what they have to say.

Alta also suggested that I do not ride the bike for safety reasons, so now it'll have to sit until this issue is resolved. Bummer.

Gertech

That warning message has not come back. The only one I have now is "Code 33 service soon" and Alta couldn't (wouldn't) tell me if the two were related. I have not been able to find the video showing where the battery is located either. Does anyone know? I'd throw one in if I knew where it was, I have no problem tearing it down as I'm a BMW technician by trade and do that sort of thing on a daily basis.

Gertech

Today I spoke with Steve, service manager at HVMC. I'm going to take the bike in this weekend and have them take a look at it hopefully next week. It sounds like that code has something to do with the high voltage system. I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it and I'll be back to silent ripping soon enough. I guess the neighbors will have to listen to my old CR250 until then :LOL:

Mark911

This kind of thing reminds me of when EFI was first introduced to consumer autos. Every mechanic/technician was scratching their heads in regards to those mysterious "blinking light codes" on the dash. Eventually the OEMs published a "decoder" matching the blinks to a diagnostic code which were just as confounding. Then they begrudgingly published more details about the codes and things finally began the make sense. However, advancements in control electronics quickly surpassed basic "trouble codes" and technicians were in the dark again. When emissions became inexorably linked to the EFI/EMS the Feds finally put an end to all the cloche and dagger stuff and forced compliance with the OBD and then OBD2 standards. Now, anyone with a 10 dollar OBD2 code reader (scanner) can access 90% of the data stored within all those controllers in a modern auto. And trust me, there are DOZENS of them! Without such information diagnosing a modern vehicle would be virtually impossible.

So in this day and age, why are we AGAIN stumbling around trying to guess at what these codes are? Alta already has the capability to read whatever data is stored on the four or five on-board controllers, all it takes is some simple software and an access cable. They can probably do it wireless as well. Most controllers come with a basic comm system and as such it's probably a similar CAN bus protocol as most auto mfg use.

So why don't we have the same right to know what's happening inside our bikes as the guy with the $10 scanner? It's NOT a cost issue as the interface already exists. It's because Alta doesn't want us to know. Maybe they think were too dumb or something. What are they trying to hid or keep secret? Are they trying to drum up service dollars for their dealers?

I can tell you this, there's way more going on inside that display than just indicating your mph, batt charge, mileage, etc. My e-bike display gives me more information and it's about 1/4 the size and weight. In fact, that display is very similar physically to a few Android cell phones and a modern phone has more computing power than the vehicle that put man on the moon!

It's just a matter of time. Alta will need to provide this capability or the market will provide it for them. All the crypto in the world can't deter a determined hacker as we hear about almost every day. Hopefully, Alta will come to the conclusion that an informed and knowledgeable customer is better than one kept in the dark.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
This kind of thing reminds me of when EFI was first introduced to consumer autos. Every mechanic/technician was scratching their heads in regards to those mysterious "blinking light codes" on the dash. Eventually the OEMs published a "decoder" matching the blinks to a diagnostic code which were just as confounding. Then they begrudgingly published more details about the codes and things finally began the make sense. However, advancements in control electronics quickly surpassed basic "trouble codes" and technicians were in the dark again. When emissions became inexorably linked to the EFI/EMS the Feds finally put an end to all the cloche and dagger stuff and forced compliance with the OBD and then OBD2 standards. Now, anyone with a 10 dollar OBD2 code reader (scanner) can access 90% of the data stored within all those controllers in a modern auto. And trust me, there are DOZENS of them! Without such information diagnosing a modern vehicle would be virtually impossible.

So in this day and age, why are we AGAIN stumbling around trying to guess at what these codes are? Alta already has the capability to read whatever data is stored on the four or five on-board controllers, all it takes is some simple software and an access cable. They can probably do it wireless as well. Most controllers come with a basic comm system and as such it's probably a similar CAN bus protocol as most auto mfg use.

So why don't we have the same right to know what's happening inside our bikes as the guy with the $10 scanner? It's NOT a cost issue as the interface already exists. It's because Alta doesn't want us to know. Maybe they think were too dumb or something. What are they trying to hid or keep secret? Are they trying to drum up service dollars for their dealers?

I can tell you this, there's way more going on inside that display than just indicating your mph, batt charge, mileage, etc. My e-bike display gives me more information and it's about 1/4 the size and weight. In fact, that display is very similar physically to a few Android cell phones and a modern phone has more computing power than the vehicle that put man on the moon!

It's just a matter of time. Alta will need to provide this capability or the market will provide it for them. All the cripto in the world can't deter a determined hacker as we hear about almost every day. Hopefully, Alta will come to the conclusion that an informed and knowledgeable customer is better than one kept in the dark.
If you want to buy the Alta laptop and interface, all it takes is a trip to your dealer.