Ty Tremaine To Race Redshift EXR In 2018 Endurocross Series

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The post-race press release from Alta Motors:

Tremaine Pilots the Redshift EXR to a Top-10 Finish in AMA Endurocross Debut
483A231%20L.jpg?t=1536771601010&width=600&name=483A231%20L.jpg

The Endurocross season is in full swing with Ty Tremaine and the Redshift EXR making their pro race debut at the sold-out first round of the AMA Endurocross Championship Series in Prescott Valley, Arizona, this past Saturday.

Ty ran strong throughout the day on the extremely technical track, which boasted two rock gardens, a log matrix, water pit and a mandatory “No Joke Lane” requiring each rider to scale up and down the 60 degree pyramid of vintage Cadillacs into a tight 360 degree turn merging onto the final straight.

The EXR battled for the top spot in every part of its debut in the AMA national series, taking the third-fastest time throughout practice and qualifying fourth overall for the main event. After an unfavorable start, Ty fought hard from the back of the pack to finish 7th overall out of the 20 riders in competition.

“We learned a lot from the first round and will build from it,” said Tremaine. “Having the bike finish in the Top 10 for the main event is great for Alta. I’m coming into [Costa Mesa] ready to fight.”

483A4499.jpg?t=1536771601010&width=600&name=483A4499.jpg
483A6265.jpg?t=1536771601010&width=600&name=483A6265.jpg
Stay fast out there!
-Team Alta
Photo Credit: Tanner Yeager

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alta Makes History with Podium Finish at Reno Endurocross

maine_Decline.TYeager%20copy.jpg?t=1538072140304&width=600&name=TTremaine_Decline.TYeager%20copy.jpg

Alta Motors made history on Saturday night, becoming the first electric-powered motorcycle to podium in an AMA Pro National race. Ty Tremaine piloted his Alta Redshift EXR to an astonishing third place at round three of the Endurocross Championship Series in Reno, NV.

Tremaine, a Nevada native, found a great flow at his home race. He began the day by claiming the second-fastest lap in practice. The strong showing continued as he finished a close second behind Factory KTM rider and defending series champion, Cody Webb, in his heat race.

TTremaine_Air.TYeager.jpg?t=1538072140304&width=600&name=TTremaine_Air.TYeager.jpg

Ty would have the chance to return the favor as he and Webb went head-to-head in the bracket race final. With the fierce battle out of the gate, Ty and the Redshift EXR took the holeshot. The intense back-and-forth forced the series points leader, Webb, into a uncharacteristic error, creating an opening for Ty to capitalize on for the race win and additional championship point.

“The night was almost perfect,” said Ty. “After winning the bracket race, the energy of the crowd was amazing. I couldn’t be happier with the way the motorcycle performed.”

After getting a less than favorable start in the main event, Ty came around the first turn in sixth position. From there he took the mandated No Joke Lane immediately. The strategy paid off, as Ty fell back into the rhythm he had throughout the day, hunting down nearly every rider in the field before finishing the race in third.

“I didn’t get the best start so I took the No Joke Lane right away,” said Tremaine. “From there, I just started picking guys off one by one. I got into third and then rode my own race. We made history tonight, which is crazy. I couldn’t be happier to put Alta Motors on the box!”

Trophy.TYeager.jpg?t=1538072140304&width=600&name=Trophy.TYeager.jpg

The good news doesn’t stop there for the young OEM, as this weekend’s result moved Ty and Alta Factory Racing into third place in the series championship points. The team looks to continue this historic run going into round four in Denver on October 20.

Stay Fast,
-Team Alta

Photo Credit: Tanner Yeager

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I got to watch Endurocross Round 3! Ty looked very good, and looked more confident and more aggressive. A tidbit that was mentioned in the broadcast twice was that Team Alta has removed 10 lbs of batteries from the battery pack for Round 3.

I wonder whether they can still get 50+ hp out of the bike with fewer batteries, and whether it is still safe for the battery longevity. If so, then getting 60 hp out of the stock battery pack is just a matter of firmware update.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
I got to watch Endurocross Round 3! Ty looked very good, and looked more confident and more aggressive. A tidbit that was mentioned in the broadcast twice was that Team Alta has removed 10 lbs of batteries from the battery pack for Round 3.

I wonder whether they can still get 50+ hp out of the bike with fewer batteries, and whether it is still safe for the battery longevity. If so, then getting 60 hp out of the stock battery pack is just a matter of firmware update.

It all depends on how they wire the batteries. They can boost hp at the expense of range and visa verse based on the configuration of series vs parallel wiring scheme. So keeping the same hp, they just lost, well, 10 lbs worth of battery range whatever that equates to.

Not sure a firmware update would yield an additional 10 hp, but additional batteries could. I'd like to go the other direction and keep the 50 hp but increase the size (weight) of the battery pack for another set of parallel batteries to gain range.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It all depends on how they wire the batteries. They can boost hp at the expense of range and visa verse based on the configuration of series vs parallel wiring scheme.
The rate of discharge of batteries is limited. You can safely discharge any generic Lithium battery at 1C (1 x Capacity) without them overheating and blowing up. So, generally, one could safely get 5.8 kW of power out of a 5.8 kWh battery. With 50hp (37.2 kW), Alta gets about 7C out of their batteries.

If you remove 20% of your batteries, in order to still get the same HP you'd have to discharge the batteries at almost 9C.

This is where my recently acquired knowledge ends, haha. With a proper battery management system, is 9C still safe?