Tusk foot pegs on an Alta

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Got these Tusk YZ250/450F foot pegs installed. They are working very well. Feet stay put and do not slide anymore. I'm more confident when standing up too. I have race tested them already, they work great.

The installation was not very smooth though. Tusk left too much aluminum near the return spring, so the return spring tip was catching onto the pegs. I had to bend both return springs out of the way.

IMG_20180328_2010279.jpg

Fod

Hey Philip!
Did you not notice though when using the yz foot pegs that the pegs slant downward much more then stock?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Philip!
Did you not notice though when using the yz foot pegs that the pegs slant downward much more then stock?
Ha! You mean not horizontal in the longitudinal plain? Just noticed that. Slanted forward by perhaps by just 3-5 degrees, I never noticed that before.

Fod

Ha ha...yes! I think the forward slant may be good for my stance. I'll see how it works hopefully this week.

Fod

Are we riding Thursday or Friday? Might need you to return the favor at the track and get my sag ball park. Maybe I'll run 120mm of race sag to flatten out the pegs! :ROFLMAO:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum, Fog 25! So you are the riding buddy of Fod then. That's easy to remember! :D

I suppose a slight forward slant of the pegs might be better than a rearward slant. Good point.

Reactions: Fod

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I have these pegs on all my motocross bikes and love them. They offer great grip and have a wider platform than most stock pegs, and don't break the bank!

What year YZF are these from?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have these pegs on all my motocross bikes and love them. They offer great grip and have a wider platform than most stock pegs, and don't break the bank!

What year YZF are these from?
They are for the 2015 models.

I think I will not be buying them again though. They got more sticky over time, would not return on their own, if folded.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
They are for the 2015 models.

I think I will not be buying them again though. They got more sticky over time, would not return on their own, if folded.

Interesting that you mention that. I've had them on my KX450 for a few years now and recently they started to get floppy. Turns out the return springs were worn out from all the peg dragging in deep ruts. Replacing the springs fixed the problem for me.

Looks like RockyMountainATVMC lists the Tusk pegs for the 2018 Redshift EX now.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm attempting to install mine now. The Tusk peg doesn't rotate up all the way, only about 1/5 of the way. There is too much aluminum material on the backside of the peg mounting post and it's hitting the footpeg mounting bolt that goes into the frame. It seems they won't fit properly without grinding the backside of it. Test fitted it without the spring:

15364224470654262732031788012940.jpg15364227446225628086587425486046.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think I got mine to bend at least 45 degrees up. I had to file away a lot of aluminum to get them to do that.

Then, the spring gets in the way too. Instead of filing more aluminum, I chose to bend the spring out of the way to keep it from getting pinched. That did the trick.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Did they come off of your totaled 1290 Adventure R? I just looked up your destroyed bike's photo and the footpeg is missing.

Pegs this big work very well on big and wide adventure bikes. They help you muscle these fat pigs around, giving you more leverage. On a narrow and light-feeling Alta I think just slightly grippier pegs would be ideal. Less drag in rutted corners.