Foot peg compatibility with other brands

massive505

Does anyone know if the foot pegs from the KTM lines or the Japanese 4 will fit? Im taller and I am used to running the EXT pegs with the ankle saver and would like to continue using them. Thanks guys.

bearorso

If indeed the earlier KTM Footpegs fit, for those Tall blokes / blokettes, The 450RR pegs are a fair bit lower than the std KTM pegs of that time, and, much longer (outwards) and a bit wider (front to back).

I'm pretty sure an Ankle Saver version of the 450RR pegs is available, too.

Of course, that extra length means a lot more leverage when the peg hits something, from a direction that it Cannot pivot back from - so, you risk damage to the the frame itself.

At least with the Stark, you could, I assume, buy either sides 'upright' - the mounts are part of that, if I recall correctly?

I've used the 450RR pegs on my CRE500 (with just a 1mm removal of the pegs pivot width, and use of KTM springs) for quite a few years now. I think, in comparison to that old beasts pegs, they came out to near on, or more than 1 inch lower, and , much longer and wider. Helps enormously with legs that don't bend past 90 degrees, and that have a shedload of Valgus. You've Got to watch out for your toes though, with so much lowering of your foot. And, the "clacking'" from the pegs as they hit so many things in the tight rocks, can drive you a bit nuts until you get used to it. I've yet to destroy a frame mount, but, it will end up happening - no wuckkers, easily repaired by me, when it happens.

massive505

Bearso you are right on all accounts. I mostly ride MX in Florida so I don’t have to worry about the rocks. You are right about frame damage from crashing, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me being so tall with a big foot.

bearorso

Oh, another option with the older KTM pegs to consider is getting a set of standard 'take offs' from one of your mates - every man and his dog seems to 'bling' their bikes - and fit some Zip Ty 'Adventure' peg extensions.

Makes them around 125mm from the mount bolt center to the outside of the peg extension, pretty much the same as the 450RR pegs, and 87mm deep - as in from front to back. Bloody Big Platforms, basically!

For reference, the std KTM pegs were 47.5mm deep, the 450RRs are 54.5mm deep.

I would have thought Fastway would have made their Adventure pegs now with the EXT Ankle Savers, but, I just checked, and it it appears not. One thing with their Alloy Adventure pegs, which may have the height etc of KTMs 450RR pegs, is, being Aluminium, and Not having internal cross bracing, they may bend a bit before the impact damages the Vargs mounts.

This is a crappy picture, massive505, but here's the Std KTM pegs with the Zip Ty 'Adventure' extensions on my CRE500 with the KTM450RR pegs just hanging around with them, before I fitted them. Perhaps that 87mm depth may give you a bit of extra support, but obviously not what the Ankle Savers could offer. I've been thinking of adding (making) that sort of thing for the 450RR pegs for my wrecked legs. Zip TY ADV Footpeg extensions on std re-16 KTM Footpegs - KTM Rally peg yo LH side  .jpg

massive505

Oh, another option with the older KTM pegs to consider is getting a set of standard 'take offs' from one of your mates - every man and his dog seems to 'bling' their bikes - and fit some Zip Ty 'Adventure' peg extensions.

Makes them around 125mm from the mount bolt center to the outside of the peg extension, pretty much the same as the 450RR pegs, and 87mm deep - as in from front to back. Bloody Big Platforms, basically!

I would have thought Fastway would have made their Adventure pegs now with the EXT Ankle Savers, but, it appears not. One thing with their Alloy Adventure pegs, which may have the height etc of KTMs 450RR pegs, is, being Aluminium, and Not having internal cross bracing, they may bend a bit before the impact damages the Vargs mounts.

Oh, crappy picture, but here's the Std KTM pegs with the Zip Ty 'Adventure' extensions on my CRE500 with the KTM450RR pegs just hanging around with them: View attachment 10992
I contacted fastway a couple weeks ago they did not have an eta. My ktm ones should be here soon. I will post results over the weekend.

massive505

For reference, the std KTM pegs were 47.5mm deep, the 450RRs are 54.5mm deep.

I would have thought Fastway would have made their Adventure pegs now with the EXT Ankle Savers, but, I just checked, and it it appears not. One thing with their Alloy Adventure pegs, which may have the height etc of KTMs 450RR pegs, is, being Aluminium, and Not having internal cross bracing, they may bend a bit before the impact damages the Vargs mounts.

This is a crappy picture, massive505, but here's the Std KTM pegs with the Zip Ty 'Adventure' extensions on my CRE500 with the KTM450RR pegs just hanging around with them, before I fitted them. Perhaps that 87mm depth may give you a bit of extra support, but obviously not what the Ankle Savers could offer. I've been thinking of adding (making) that sort of thing for the 450RR pegs for my wrecked legs. View attachment 10992
The fastway pegs for new ktm DO NOT FIT.

massive505

Yea I had already ordered before I saw your original post. They said 17-23 , oh well. Just have to wait till fastway makes an EXT for stark cause they don’t make them currently and that’s all I’ve run for last few yrs.

UKLee

I would be very carefull what you are doing here, they might "fit" and appear to work ok but there is a big differance between how the stark pegs work and how most other bike brands work.
The stop that holds the riders weight on the foot pegs on most bikes is below the pivot bolt and works on strong mild steel bracket bolted to the aluminum alloy frame on the jap bikes or directly to the mild steel frame on the austrian bikes.

The stop on the stark is above the pivot bolt and works on much softer aluminum alloy so the stark foot peg has a bridge across it for a bigger surface area working on the much softer material, if you fitted a peg with 2 very thin points of contact (as most are) there is a very good chance they will pust through the soft aluminum alloy risking the peg dropping down and damage to the frame side plate.

I might not of explained it very well my advice is to have a good look at how the stark peg works against how most other bike pegs work, just trying to save you pain and expence.

massive505

I would be very carefull what you are doing here, they might "fit" and appear to work ok but there is a big differance between how the stark pegs work and how most other bike brands work.
The stop that holds the riders weight on the foot pegs on most bikes is below the pivot bolt and works on strong mild steel bracket bolted to the aluminum alloy frame on the jap bikes or directly to the mild steel frame on the austrian bikes.

The stop on the stark is above the pivot bolt and works on much softer aluminum alloy so the stark foot peg has a bridge across it for a bigger surface area working on the much softer material, if you fitted a peg with 2 very thin points of contact (as most are) there is a very good chance they will pust through the soft aluminum alloy risking the peg dropping down and damage to the frame side plate.

I might not of explained it very well my advice is to have a good look at how the stark peg works against how most other bike pegs work, just trying to save you pain and expence.
You are definitely right, and your posts contain lots of valuable information. Thanks

fred900

Not liking the Ktm Pegs on the stark, I feel unbalanced since the stark pegs are almost an inch more forward than the Raptors. I did modify them to site at the same 6 degree angle as the stark. Guess I'll wait till they actually start making some for the stark.

raptorPeg.jpg

starkPeg.jpg