SUR-RON MX

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It will be about the equvalent of 250cc motocross bike... about 20hp and at that kind of weight (over 250 pounds)
Something doesn't add up by a factor of 2x. Are they making an Alta competitor or a Freeride competitor? Or maybe a lighter and cheaper Zero? LOL.

F451

Something doesn't add up by a factor of 2x. Are they making an Alta competitor or a Freeride competitor? Or maybe a lighter and cheaper Zero? LOL.

I'm guessing that is referring to 2x over the current Sun-Ron MX.

And yes, if its a KTM Freeride competitor, that would be a shame (yawn). If its an Alta competitor, that has my attention.

teddyquinn

View attachment 3595
Per Erik Hicks of Luna Cycles...
“Yes its a legit thing its at least a year out.... i have known about it for a while.. it is a full size bike designed to compete with Alta and Zero Fx KTM etc.... much larger capacity battery, double the horspower double the weight kind of thing.... this one really is a motorcycle. It will be about the equvalent of 250cc motocross bike... about 20hp and at that kind of weight (over 250 pounds) so really a different class than the sur ron now.”

Thanks for those details! Looks fun. Likely somewhere between a Freeride and an EXR, though would hope more than 20HP, and hopefully no transmission.

The near vertical rear shock setup somewhat reminiscent of early '80s Uni-Trak and Full Floater suspension.

Get ready, Luna Cycles...

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I would take the 20hp number with a grain of salt. I don't think Erik is directly involved in the testing, but knows quite a bit as an importer. Also, trail oriented 250 bikes, like a crf250f or similar, actually do make about 20hp. A CRF250X, makes closer to 30. Then the pure MX bikes are making closer to 40. I wouldn't put too much stock in the pre-release numbers until they actually deliver one, though. Let's just see what they offer up, and be thankful folks are still pursuing this electric dirt bike thing at all.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
View attachment 3595
Per Erik Hicks of Luna Cycles...
“Yes its a legit thing its at least a year out.... i have known about it for a while.. it is a full size bike designed to compete with Alta and Zero Fx KTM etc.... much larger capacity battery, double the horspower double the weight kind of thing.... this one really is a motorcycle. It will be about the equvalent of 250cc motocross bike... about 20hp and at that kind of weight (over 250 pounds) so really a different class than the sur ron now.”
Cool - thanks for posting but again the current state of human understanding of battery chemistry is what it is - power = weight-
Our Altas are on cutting edge of this
Yeah they coulda had the range of a Goldwing &power of a H2Kawasaki but it would weigh as much as Tesla... pick your poison

Sur Ron engineering isn’t sending us to the moon 🤥

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Just the fact that there appears to be another offering headed to market is encouraging. Even if it's not up to Alta performance levels, it will still bring more interest to the market segment which will be good for us.

And we may end up with an option for practice thrash bikes that have a reliable parts supply.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
This was just posted on the Sur-ron owners page:

Just saw this and I know everyone's curious about the new models coming down the pipeline. [Spotted on EVNerds page]

NEW leaked info about 2 different Sur Ron setups:

Peak Power:16.5KW (72V);21.5KW (96V)
Top Speed (sport mode):90km/h (72V);100km/h(96V)
Top Speed (turbo mode):100km/h(72V);110km/h(96V)
Acceleration(S):2.0(0-50KM)
Acceleration(S):3.3(0-70KM)
Acceleration(S):4.3(0-80KM)
RANGE:72V Version ≥125km(@50km/h)
BATTERY:72V/70Ah;96V48Ah
Tire Size (Road Legal Version):Fr.: 110/80-19;Rr.:140/70-17
Tire Size (MX Version):Fr.: 80/100-21;Rr.:100/90-18

1565822435477.jpg

teddyquinn

This was just posted on the Sur-ron owners page:

Just saw this and I know everyone's curious about the new models coming down the pipeline. [Spotted on EVNerds page]

NEW leaked info about 2 different Sur Ron setups:

Peak Power:16.5KW (72V);21.5KW (96V)
Top Speed (sport mode):90km/h (72V);100km/h(96V)
Top Speed (turbo mode):100km/h(72V);110km/h(96V)
Acceleration(S):2.0(0-50KM)
Acceleration(S):3.3(0-70KM)
Acceleration(S):4.3(0-80KM)
RANGE:72V Version ≥125km(@50km/h)
BATTERY:72V/70Ah;96V48Ah
Tire Size (Road Legal Version):Fr.: 110/80-19;Rr.:140/70-17
Tire Size (MX Version):Fr.: 80/100-21;Rr.:100/90-18

View attachment 3610
Interesting! So would appear to be a ~4.6kWh pack on the high end, if these leaked specs are accurate. Certainly higher than the Freeride’s 3.9kWh pack, but still considerably lower than the R pack.

Really looks like an EXR met a Freeride E, with battery position suggesting quick-swap potential. Curious about suspension components and all the other bits.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Snooze fest.... this is exactly my point. The bike is going to perform worse than a 250cc dual sport bike. Nothing like our Alta's.

Sun-Ron Bumblebee
16.5kW = 22hp.
21.5kW = 28hp

Our Alta R's
38.25kW = 51hp

with some modifications....
45kW = 60 hp. :cool:

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Snooze fest.... this is exactly my point. The bike is going to perform worse than a 250cc dual sport bike. Nothing like our Alta's.

Sun-Ron Bumblebee
16.5kW = 22hp.
21.5kW = 28hp

Our Alta R's
38.25kW = 51hp

with some modifications....
45kW = 60 hp. :cool:

Which mods? I hear an FMF exhaust can add like 15hp. And stickers another 2hp each! An AOF sticker is good for about 50hp.