SUR-RON MX

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
We cut the limiter wire on the Sur-Ron X after a couple rides at the local off-road park (Carnegie SVRA). My son put about 50 miles on the thing in two days. The thing does have a lot more power without the limiter. The thing has a short wheelbase, so it wants to wheelie, even with my 6'0, 235lb. butt on it. It accelerates quite a bit faster with my 100 lb. son on it. Front brake was squeaky after the first ride, and I'm working to fix that issue. It's got more acceleration that it does stopping power. Minibike power, mountain bike brakes. Not necessarily a good combo.

Fixed the squeaky & weak front brakes by swapping the OEM pads for Shimano H03C pads. Much better stopping power, and they don't fade like the stock ones. They also have built-in cooling fins. The back sides of the original pads literally looked like they had melted from the heat. Hopefully these will last a bit longer. Make sure you use the new spring that come with the pads, as it is slightly shorter than the OEM spring.

1563567203764.png

schwankl

people are overclocking these sur rons now... at 5kw its a toy/pit bike, but replacing inverters w/ ones that deliver 11-35kw ...might be fun with balanced tires... 100lb bike that can go 68mph (until the motor burns out, or maybe integrate alta/fukuta motor). Anyone play with these ASI controllers? accelerated-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Controller-HP-Spec-Lite-ASI-2p-V2.0.pdf

this guy cracks me up - so much energy:

No vin = cannot plate in utah tho.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
people are overclocking these sur rons now... at 5kw its a toy/pit bike, but replacing inverters w/ ones that deliver 11-35kw ...might be fun with balanced tires... 100lb bike that can go 68mph (until the motor burns out, or maybe integrate alta/fukuta motor). Anyone play with these ASI controllers? accelerated-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Controller-HP-Spec-Lite-ASI-2p-V2.0.pdf

No vin = cannot plate in utah tho.

They do have VIN numbers. But they are only 15 digits instead of 17.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Makes me want to travel to EICMA.

I happened to be there once before, back in 2013. Lots of pretty female models sitting on motorcycles. I think I saw one with no underwear. I was about to propose to her but the madame kicked her out before I had a chance.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Makes me want to travel to EICMA.

I happened to be there once before, back in 2013. Lots of pretty female models sitting on motorcycles. I think I saw one with no underwear. I was about to propose to her but the madame kicked her out before I had a chance.
BWAHAHA!

teddyquinn

Per their Facebook, 72V and 90V options coming in both MX and homologated versions, promising greater range and "more price competitive" than Alta, though Trump China tariff war may negate that price-point advantage.

Will be interesting to see where it lands. Alta will most certainly continue to be the better bike, but nice to have more options, especially on the street legal side, from a company focused solely on e-moto.

teddyquinn

Per their Facebook, 72V and 90V options coming in both MX and homologated versions, promising greater range and "more price competitive" than Alta, though Trump China tariff war may negate that price-point advantage.

Will be interesting to see where it lands. Alta will most certainly continue to be the better bike, but nice to have more options, especially on the street legal side, from a company focused solely on e-moto.

But, also, USA doesn't see the homologated version of the Light Bee, so this all could be an EU tease.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
1565749120624.jpg
Per Erik Hicks of Luna Cycles...
“Yes its a legit thing its at least a year out.... i have known about it for a while.. it is a full size bike designed to compete with Alta and Zero Fx KTM etc.... much larger capacity battery, double the horspower double the weight kind of thing.... this one really is a motorcycle. It will be about the equvalent of 250cc motocross bike... about 20hp and at that kind of weight (over 250 pounds) so really a different class than the sur ron now.”

F451

View attachment 3595
Per Erik Hicks of Luna Cycles...
“Yes its a legit thing its at least a year out.... i have known about it for a while.. it is a full size bike designed to compete with Alta and Zero Fx KTM etc.... much larger capacity battery, double the horspower double the weight kind of thing.... this one really is a motorcycle. It will be about the equvalent of 250cc motocross bike... about 20hp and at that kind of weight (over 250 pounds) so really a different class than the sur ron now.”

Very interesting, thanks for posting! I hope the pic is not representative of the final product as I see some features that I am not a fan of, but will reserve further judgement until the actual bikes are delivered and in the hands of enthusiasts.

I hope they use as much off the shelf components as possible, as well as stick with established geometry, etc. No need to re-invent the wheel while they're trying to get these e-dirt bikes off the ground. Plenty of time to try new and innovative ideas once the battery and motor technology has been proven (to the rest of the world, I know we're already on board).