Should I buy an alta!

timothyrgriffe

Have an opportunity to buy an alta mxr, low miles, no codes, and a good charger for a fair price.

Just going to share my concerns and I’ll invite people to chime in.

Concern 1 range: Currently have a Sur ron Ultrabee with 21/18 wheel set, get roughly 30-35 miles on moderate single track. Scared I will not get that on the Alta.

Concern 2: I feel like the price is right but feel like the resell value will tank when the Stark is readily available.

Concern 3: Zero manufacturers support. The sur ron ultra bee being new in the market and out of china is hard to get support for but you can get it.

Thanks for any input you guys have it will be really appreciated.

HadesOmega

I have a Light Bee and while there's not really a place to bring it to get it worked on I've done all the work on the bike myself. Parts are easy to get on the internet I guarantee there will be a HUGE aftermarket for the Ultra Bee. Warp9 is already making parts for it. You can still get Alta parts but when they're gone they will be gone. From what I hear there is not much to go wrong with them.

That being said the Ultra Bee is a different animal compared to the Redshift, a more comparable bike would be the Storm Bee. The MX is much better to ride on rough terrain than a Light Bee. The Light Bee beats me up pretty bad on rough trails.

I haven't ridden my supermoto on the trails yet but around town I'm getting around 40 miles. I'm sure someone with a MXR will chime in on range.

The price is very good, it's cheaper than an Ultra Bee which is why I bought my Redshift. You can't even get a Storm Bee for that much. If had the money I'd get the MXR =P I still want an Ultra Bee to build up as my next mini electric race bike but I spent all the money on my Redshift =/

timothyrgriffe

I have a Light Bee and while there's not really a place to bring it to get it worked on I've done all the work on the bike myself. Parts are easy to get on the internet I guarantee there will be a HUGE aftermarket for the Ultra Bee. Warp9 is already making parts for it. You can still get Alta parts but when they're gone they will be gone. From what I hear there is not much to go wrong with them.

That being said the Ultra Bee is a different animal compared to the Redshift, a more comparable bike would be the Storm Bee. The MX is much better to ride on rough terrain than a Light Bee. The Light Bee beats me up pretty bad on rough trails.

I haven't ridden my supermoto on the trails yet but around town I'm getting around 40 miles. I'm sure someone with a MXR will chime in on range.

The price is very good, it's cheaper than an Ultra Bee which is why I bought my Redshift. You can't even get a Storm Bee for that much. If had the money I'd get the MXR =P I still want an Ultra Bee to build up as my next mini electric race bike but I spent all the money on my Redshift =/
Yeah I really like my ultrabee but the suspension, though way better then the lightbee still is not very plush for rocky terrain. It does rip tight single track though. Woop!

ajordan282

price seems great IMO. I think you should not have range issues unless you have a ton of elevation and/or sandy terrain. User @synics may be able to give better input on range. Parts have not been an issue for me and my Alta MXR thus far, but the risk is definitely there. I think it comes down to your riding style. If you like the MTB feel of the Surron then pass on the Alta. If you want to ride like you're on a serious mx/woods motorcycle, buy the Alta. I am a die hard dirtbike guy and the Alta is my favorite dirtbike ever, and I've had a good variety.

synics

I've posted a lot about this but it 100% depends on how you ride it and in what map. I'm 6'1 195 lb and a pretty fast rider. A/B level depending on terrain. On a regular ride with mixed very terrain 4 mi of connecting roads I average a total of about 16-17 miles. If I put it in map four and ride it like I ride my 350 xcf, I could kill that thing in under 10 to 12 miles. If I take it easy in map one rarely ever hitting the brakes and hitting a lot of pavement sections the highest I've ever gotten was 28 miles. I hear stuff about other guys getting way more mileage than that but I just don't know how it's possible.

timothyrgriffe

I've posted a lot about this but it 100% depends on how you ride it and in what map. I'm 6'1 195 lb and a pretty fast rider. A/B level depending on terrain. On a regular ride with mixed very terrain 4 mi of connecting roads I average a total of about 16-17 miles. If I put it in map four and ride it like I ride my 350 xcf, I could kill that thing in under 10 to 12 miles. If I take it easy in map one rarely ever hitting the brakes and hitting a lot of pavement sections the highest I've ever gotten was 28 miles. I hear stuff about other guys getting way more mileage than that but I just don't know how it's possible.
I feel like I’ve read range numbers just absolutely all over the place. I ride moderate techy terrain with flow. Pretty rocky out here in utah. But just a bit scared to go for it if I can’t get 30 miles

synics

I feel like I’ve read range numbers just absolutely all over the place. I ride moderate techy terrain with flow. Pretty rocky out here in utah. But just a bit scared to go for it if I can’t get 30 miles
I can only tell you my experiences....I'm hard on a bike, twist that throttle a lot, and ride in a fair amount of sand, so that plays into it too. Who knows, maybe my battery has degraded. Essentially though, that's a low price for an Alta and it's an amazing bike to ride, and pretty much the same as a Varg at less than half the costs.

timothyrgriffe

I can only tell you my experiences....I'm hard on a bike, twist that throttle a lot, and ride in a fair amount of sand, so that plays into it too. Who knows, maybe my battery has degraded. Essentially though, that's a low price for an Alta and it's an amazing bike to ride, and pretty much the same as a Varg at less than half the costs.
Thanks so much for taking the time. I’m still super on the fence. But leaning towards going for it and selling it if I’m not happy with it.

Distance aside how long can you ride it for like that. 1 hour two maybe. If it lady up to 2 hrs and you recharge from a generator on 240v then it might be suitable for me but if you don't get 2 hours or more then I will stay with ICE