Re-sealing the battery

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I have no installation pics, but if you have the right tools, the job will be pretty simple.

All you need it a properly sized butyl tape. The R-pack battery uses a butyl sealant on the bottom cover. The A-pack, apparently, uses it on the top cover as well.

I lucked in and bought exactly what was needed the first time -- CRL Sunroof Butyl Sealant Tape.

1553225349089.png

It is about 9mm wide and 1.5mm thick, and long enough. One roll will probably let you seal a battery cover at least four times.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Also, do not let the bottom cover be out in the open long. It has a desiccant package, which would become useless if exposed to the ambient humidity for too long. I kept my entire bottom cover in a large Ziploc bag while working on the battery.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have rotated the picture back. It is showing the top of the battery, which has a simple rubber reusable seal. The butyl tape seal is at the bottom cover. It looks like a black mess when unsealed.

Dirt-E

I'm additionally interested to know what thermal paste to use (and how much) when resealing my pack after balancing and replacing the zero module.

Will any Butyl tape with similar dimensions work? The link given is OOS with no anticipated restock date.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm additionally interested to know what thermal paste to use (and how much) when resealing my pack after balancing and replacing the zero module.

Will any Butyl tape with similar dimensions work? The link given is OOS with no anticipated restock date.
Try this:

Trialsman

I know the butyl was used for the cover, would silicone seal also do the job? It is a very aggressive adhesive. Just a thought.

Trialsman

A little trick is to soak the dried silicone with a towel saturated in Stoddard fluid (parts cleaner). It will dissolve the bond and you will be able to peel it away easily.

When I dropped my battery 1-1/2" for a lower center of gravity, I needed to slightly "reshape" the bottom cover to clear the side frame members. Not wanting to apply heat to an unknown structure, I removed the bottom cover first. After cleaning and reshaping with a heat gun, I put it back together with silicone seal. I put on a thick bead and laid the cover on. After about twenty minutes It was simi-solid and I then snugged down the bolts. In that way I did not squeeze out all the seal between the surfaces. This is on the EXR I use for the woods, and so far - so good.