Battery is dying so fast...

synics

So I have a 2018 MXR, 190 hours, 1900 miles. Problem is the battery seems to be gving me less and less range. Took it out in the snow the other day and I killed the battery from full to dead in under 20 minutes of drifting. Probably less than 9 miles range.

I barely ride this thing anymore because it just dies way too fast. Fun killer. So I'm just riding my gas bikes. Has anyone one successfully replaced their battery with upgraded cells? Are there any batteries for sale?

I love this bike, but at this point I don't even know if I can conciencously sell this thing, a bike I bought less then 2 years ago for 10k. : (

20231021_114109.jpg

synics

@Rashid510 I don't think it's ever been updated. I don't have the Alta laptop. The last 3 numbers of the VIN are 384.

I felt like this thing was never hitting full capacity from when I bought it from the feedback everyone was giving me about their range numbers. I bought it with only 8 hours on it and 100 miles. It was sitting in the seller's showroom for a while. There have also been plenty of times when I have left it on a full charge for a week at a time.

The most range I ever got on it was 27 miles, in map 1, taking it easy. My general average in warmer months is around 16-18 miles in map 1 and 2. If I rode it in map 4 I would get like 10 miles tops out of it. Now I feel like that's less. I took it out in the snow the other day, did some drifting, and I killed the batter in like 15 minutes. It's a bummer.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I used to ride four 10-minute sessions at my local MX tracks on each of my two Altas. Recently, it has been only three sessions on each. I like to tell myself that these are not the batteries getting a shorter range but me becoming faster. In my defense, I noticed that I keep the throttle pinned a lot more often and a lot longer.

I usually ride in Map 3. Map 4 has bad traction control and is often a waste of a battery.

synics

I used to ride four 10-minute sessions at my local MX tracks on each of my two Altas. Recently, it has been only three sessions on each. I like to tell myself that these are not the batteries getting a shorter range but me becoming faster. In my defense, I noticed that I keep the throttle pinned a lot more often and a lot longer.

I usually ride in Map 3. Map 4 has bad traction control and is often a waste of a battery.
yeah mine wouldn't have lasted for 4 ten minute sessions the day I got it, lol Trust me, your battery is wearing out. Entropy. It's inevitable.

rayivers

In my defense, I noticed that I keep the throttle pinned a lot more often and a lot longer.

Since a charged / properly-functioning Alta battery supplies more than enough to drive the motor to full power, this tells me something I'd already learned from all my electrics - the motor (specifically, the "permanent" magnets in it) is getting weaker, requiring more twist for the same pull. Imho it is this added throttle that reduces SOC, not battery degradation. I've had ignition-rotor magnets recharged, pretty straightforward - if I was doing motor work on my bike this would be top-of-my-list. Guess I'm repeating myself again, just can't help it. :)

I took my unused '19 MXR for a very brief test ride before sale, I was shocked at how much more snappy-powerful it was than my '18, even in mode 1.

blbills

Since a charged / properly-functioning Alta battery supplies more than enough to drive the motor to full power, this tells me something I'd already learned from all my electrics - the motor (specifically, the "permanent" magnets in it) is getting weaker, requiring more twist for the same pull. Imho it is this added throttle that reduces SOC, not battery degradation. I've had ignition-rotor magnets recharged, pretty straightforward - if I was doing motor work on my bike this would be top-of-my-list. Guess I'm repeating myself again, just can't help it. :)

I took my unused '19 MXR for a very brief test ride before sale, I was shocked at how much more snappy-powerful it was than my '18, even in mode 1.
Umm...No.

synics

how and where did you get your magnets recharged?

rayivers

how and where did you get your magnets recharged?

You mean the ignition-rotor magnets for my vintage bike? It's just a nearby magnet-recharging guy. For the record. I have not recharged the motor magnets on my Alta; if I was going to do that, I'd send the entire motor out to a Fukuta-authorized repair shop. With a quick search I found. Accu Electric Motors that services Fukuta and does remagnetizing, but I haven't contacted or used them.

B. FRANK

A few years back I had light speed bikes in jersey city build me a 72v battery for my Sur Ron. I got talking with the owner and he builds all kinds of lithium batteries for aircraft and other uses. he said that rebuilding an alta battery shouldn't be too difficult. as far as I know he hasn't but he is worth a try and pretty close to you. I also have the multi tool set up but have never used it, both my Altas run great.

HadesOmega

Is the range bad when the weather is warm? You mentioned riding it in the snow, electric vehicles range is affected when it is cold, its less because the battery likes to be warm, and freezing the battery can damage it.

I'm still rocking Litespeed bikes batteries on my Light Bee. I have a 72V30AH 18650 Sony VTC6 pack and a 72V32AH 21700 Molicel Pack. Sometimes the 32AH battery goes out of sync and the BMS cuts out because it wants to protect the one module.

snydes

Staff member
Not sure what the VIN cutoff was off the top of my head, but if it’s running old firmware it might have a bad group that’s killing the range that it didn’t throw a code for. With those hours/mileage it definitely shouldn’t be that bad. Need to throw a laptop on it for sure.