Questions!

snydes

Staff member
Yes. My understanding was that a blinking-red LED on the standard charger meant charging in progress, and a blinking green light meant charge complete (which I got from this forum, the manual mentions none of this).

Ray,
If I recall when I had a standard charger what the lights actually did was not what the label on the charger said they should do. With the 3.3kw (otherwise referred to as the "fast") charger what I've experienced with the ones I have used is the fan will typically shut off when charging is complete and balancing begins. If keying the bike off when charging, the coolant pump will shut off when charging and balancing is complete, and with the key on the display will read something like "CHARGING COMPLETE" when charging/balancing is done. I believe the green light on a 2.7kw charger will remain on when the charge/balance is complete, but I may be remembering that wrong. Hope that clears things up for you.

rayivers

Ray,
If I recall when I had a standard charger what the lights actually did was not what the label on the charger said they should do. With the 3.3kw (otherwise referred to as the "fast") charger what I've experienced with the ones I have used is the fan will typically shut off when charging is complete and balancing begins. If keying the bike off when charging, the coolant pump will shut off when charging and balancing is complete, and with the key on the display will read something like "CHARGING COMPLETE" when charging/balancing is done. I believe the green light on a 2.7kw charger will remain on when the charge/balance is complete, but I may be remembering that wrong. Hope that clears things up for you.

OK, thanks for that info. I've got my Kill-A-Watt on the AC outlet & will check what's going on in real time next charge.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Keep in mind that (we surmise) the battery uses the water pump, or some other means, to balance the cell groups during the final stages of the charge cycle. The charger itself is using almost no power at this stage.

rayivers

Keep in mind that (we surmise) the battery uses the water pump, or some other means, to balance the cell groups during the final stages of the charge cycle. The charger itself is using almost no power at this stage.

I'll have pad & pencil ready to get baselines - thanks for the suggestion though. I realize my results will not be perfect - maybe not even close - but at this point anything is better than what I have (nothing).

bluefxstc

The charger is controlled by CAN bus commands provided by the bike. During the balance phase of the charge the bike can throttle the charger down to providing almost no current so it doesn’t burn out the balancing circuits on the bike.

Judaslefourbe

Keep in mind that (we surmise) the battery uses the water pump,
I am not sure what you mean here, but the battery pack is air-cooled.
The water pump turns on to keep the inverter cool while charging.
If you want to keep the pack cool, point a fan to it. Make sure you get the heatsink on top.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
If you want to keep the pack cool, point a fan to it. Make sure you get the heatsink on top.
I believe what he is implying is that the coolant pump provides some manner or dummy load to assist with the cell balance process.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor

The balance procedure supposedly applies a load to higher P-groups to level them down with the rest. We are suspecting that load is coming from the water pump.