New to forum -- EXR vs. MXR

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure the endoro racing is just as risky. Hitting trees or eating sand hurts.

The stock MXR suspension has kept me from racing MX this summer. It was great for trail riding and for practices at some of the tracks. But at the track where I wanted to race I almost endoed a few times on a 80-foot double, and I had no pitch control in the whoops. So, I didn't race.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
The impression I'm getting is that the opinions of the suspension are based on rider capabilities and how the rider is using their bike. Aggressive riders/uses generally need more aggressively sprung/damped suspensions. 80-foot doubles will surely need stout suspensions whereas basic trail riders may be happy with a more compliant version.

I likely fall into the latter category but still want to opt for the MXR over the EXR suspension. Maybe I'll need it and maybe I won't but at least I won't be wanting for more down the road. To be honest, I'd very much like to try my hand at some distinguished...er senior class competition just for the fun of it.

Oded

Do stock Kawasakis, Honda & Yamaha, also require such work on the stock suspension? Or, are they MX ready (more or less) from the factory?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Do stock Kawasakis, Honda & Yamaha, also require such work on the stock suspension? Or, are they MX ready (more or less) from the factory?
Yamahas have been selling with true "Ready to Race" KYB SSS steel spring suspension for the last 15 years. Other brands have been hit and miss, especially during the KYB/Showa air fork craze, but very few of them were totally unrideable. The last unrideable that I know of were the 2014 - 2016 KTMs with the 4CS forks.

I was afraid that the Alta Redshift MX with 4CS forks would be just as horrible, but no, it was actually very pleasant for trail riding. Ironically though, the Redshift MX was way too soft for motocross, both springs and damping.

WoodsWeapon

I dont think this should be categorized as Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. It should be their MX models vs their offroad models. Much like the MXR vs EXR. The MXR is probably fine for the pro practice rider type of guy, just as the EXR is fine for the average woods/street rider.
In my particular case I aggressively race the EXR on MX tracks, and woods races. If it were a Yamaha TTR model it too would need much suspension work.
I get great entertainment from guys laughing at the bike with a headlight on the track, right up until they get passed by it. Thats the same reason I run a nitrous system on my van.