New to forum -- EXR vs. MXR

Tom

New to the forum so thanks for the add. I’ve been researching the Altas for awhile and plan on getting one in the next couple of months. I’m 48 years old and haven’t ridden motocross in over 25 years but I have been street riding that entire time and trials riding for the last several years. I have a full size electric trials bike (2016 EM 5.7 Sport) that I love so I’m all in on the electric bikes.
I’m trying to decide on a new MXR or new EXR. Has anyone ridden both? I know all the differences on paper but how different do they FEEL to ride? I don’t have a street bike anymore so being able to zip into town or just go for a short cruise on the EXR is very appealing. However, the vast majority of my riding will be in the dirt and the EXR is quite a bit heavier. I know the bikes handle a lot lighter than their weight would suggest but I’m trying to figure out if the MXR feels 15 pounds lighter than the EXR when riding.
Most of the time I’ll be running motos in my yard or trail riding but it would be fun to hit a motocross track again or do a short hare scramble. Since I have no intention of winning the local pro class, would the EXR suffice with it’s added versatility? What do you think?
Your opinions will be the driving force behind my final decision. That way, if I’m not crazy about the bike, I can tell my wife it’s all your collective faults that I have to buy another one!
Thanks!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think the EXR and the MXR feel about the same, weigh-wise.

The EXR has a nicer and softer seat!

The EXR suspension is okay for trail riding and riding around, but it is too soft for motocross for anyone who weighs over 100 lbs. I weigh 200 lbs, and I can compress the suspension almost fully just by jumping on the footpegs. And, you have to remember that the bike needs to support itself as well when it lands from jumps.

So, I would weigh the benefits of having the stock lights vs. the benefits of a motocross capable suspension.

You can revalve the EXR suspension for motocross, or add lights to the MXR for street riding. Both are possible.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I have a MX that I use on the road regularly. Some one on here coined it an EMX. I went with the MX for the weight and suspension. The MX is too soft for most on the motocross track, but I find it perfect for enduro riding and single track here in the North East. Adding lights is easy and can cost as little as a couple hundred. The one planned upgrade over the winter will be an 18" rear wheel, seems to be a lot more enduro tires to choose from. Registering an MX seems to vary state by state. CT considers Altas as scooters so no registration is needed, but I've been stopped for not having lights. No tickets but the cops told me to get lights or expect to be pulled over again.

Oded

Based on your requirements, I'd check before the purchase, the price and time involved in making the MXR street legal (adding lights, mirrors, registration...). There is plenty of info in this forum.
If it does not require you to go out of your way, go with the MXR. Otherwise, EXR it is!

Weight difference should not be an issue.

Tom

I have a MX that I use on the road regularly. Some one on here coined it an EMX. I went with the MX for the weight and suspension. The MX is too soft for most on the motocross track, but I find it perfect for enduro riding and single track here in the North East. Adding lights is easy and can cost as little as a couple hundred. The one planned upgrade over the winter will be an 18" rear wheel, seems to be a lot more enduro tires to choose from. Registering an MX seems to vary state by state. CT considers Altas as scooters so no registration is needed, but I've been stopped for not having lights. No tickets but the cops told me to get lights or expect to be pulled over again.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
Tis is actually something I've been deciding on as well. I know I would prefer the firmer suspension of the MXR but want to be street legal. If I'm not mistaken, it looks to be less expensive to get all the lights, plate holder, left side mirror and associated wiring rather than upgradeing the suspension. Am I correct in this?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Light kit vs suspension upgrade? Light are definitely cheaper. Looks like you can spend thousands on suspension upgrades.

Oded

That's what I thought, and it's not difficult to get an MXR street legal in Michigan. MXR it is........for me anyway! :)

That said, and risking of being expelled from this forum 😉, I have a feeling people are being a bit carried away with the suspension's upgrade route. The basic Redshift suspension is not that bad, and actually even the 4CS is quite capable for enduro riding as it is.
As we say here in Israel to those who are cought in the endless upgrading phenomena - Just ride my friend, ride.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
That said, and risking of being expelled from this forum 😉, I have a feeling people are being a bit carried away with the suspension's upgrade route. The basic Redshift suspension is not that bad, and actually even the 4CS is quite capable for enduro riding as it is.
As we say here in Israel to those who are cought in the endless upgrading phenomena - Just ride my friend, ride.

Well received Oded. I would likely be satisfied with either suspension as my off road experiences are very limited to most here. My secondary reason for the MXR is that I want to have different lighting altogether than the stock EXR lighting. At almost 53 and my last dirt bike was when I was 16, I have no illusions of blasting my way through the racing circuits. I might get my toes wet though. ;)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
At a risk of being expelled from the enduro community, I am going to say that most of the non-pro enduro guys are not riding hard enough.

When a difficult section comes up the enduro guys usually slow down. If they save energy, they can make up for it on other parts of the trail and still be competitive. Their limit is often not the bike's ability, or their riding skill. It is their lactate threshold. Hence -- the name -- enduro.

In contrast, in motocross, everyone is always pushing at 100 percent, riding on the edge of their ability, not conserving energy to last for several hours, playing with crashing and injuring themselves. When a large jump or a gnarly whoops section comes up, those who have the confidence in themselves and in their bikes simply send it and clear the obstacles (seemingly) effortlessly. Those who do not have such a confidence, either crash and hurt themselves or slow down and finish last. There is really no alternative to having confidence in the bike in motocross.

Oded

I don't ride motocross, and what you say, sounds very reasonable.
However, reading the posts here, Someone can get the impression that the stock Redshift is almost un-ridable in stock form.

WoodsWeapon

Philip you have officially been expelled. If you think woods racing is less risky than any obstacle on a track you are very mistaken. The start in a 2 hour harescramble, or 3+ Hour enduro is as important as it is in a 6 minute moto. If one wants to be competitive, he must push the entire duration of the race, not just the easy parts in either discipline.