New MX-R

rayivers

Great forum! Thanks much to Oded for the heads-up about it.

I just got my MX-R last week, from Hudson Valley MC in Ossining, NY. They're a very helpful and can-do dealership; based on my experiences so far, I'd recommend them highly.

I haven't taken the bike out yet, but I test-rode a '17 MX a while back and was very impressed. I've extensively modified my Zero and it works pretty well in the dirt now, but the Alta was in a league by itself.

I've been riding since '69, raced on & off till the early 80's.

Ray (Ivers)

snydes

Staff member
Welcome Ray!
I’m supposed to be getting my MXR next week. I also did a demo in a ‘17 MX and was sold on them after that. Can’t wait to hear from more owners on how they like them.

Steve

rayivers

Thanks! I've been waiting for an electric MX bike like this since at least '07, so cool to finally have one.

Ray

Oded

Ray is an electric pro. His modification to the Zero FX are second to none.
I am just glad he didn't opt for the KTM Freeride E before the Redshift came out ☺️

rayivers

Aww shucks, Oded - thanks a bunch, seriously (you've been mighty busy doing mods yourself!). I'm glad I did most of the Zero stuff and it was a great learning experience, but nowadays I'll just recommend getting an Alta instead. :) +1 on the Freeride E (though if the price dropped significantly, it might make a good starter bike for younger and/or smaller riders).

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the Alta Owners Forum, Ray!

As long as the mod subject came up :^) here's a link to most of mine at the EMF site, in case any might be of interest to Alta owners:

'14 Zero FX mods

Ray
WOW! LOL! That is an impressive list of mods on your Zero. But I see all of them (other than the throttle) are for things that are mechanical, not electrical. This makes me feel so grateful that I do not need to do all this work on my Alta.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, do you think you could figure out a shorter throttle for the Alta? The stock throttle seems a bit long, it needs frequent re-gripping, and my right wrist gets tired at MX tracks too early.

rayivers

Thanks to all! It's great to be here, and I really appreciate the comments about the mods. Converting a Zero FX to dirt-only has been true job security. :)
This makes me feel so grateful that I do not need to do all this work on my Alta.

I feel the same! My Zero's been a lot of fun and it finally works OK in the dirt, but I spent so much time doing things I shouldn't have needed to (get decent suspension & stopping power, multiple bearing issues, playing 'web detective' to find OEM-equivalent parts, etc.) it'll be such a joy to just charge and ride.

Does anyone know the Alta throttle specs? The '14 Zero throttles (OEM Magura & Domino aftermarket) both use a 5Kohm linear-ish potentiometer, whose taper can be adjusted a bit with external resistances (or ideally replaced with an anti-log 5K, which will come on much quicker in the first part of the rotation). Later Zeros use Hall-effect throttle circuits, which I'm not familiar enough with to modify without a schematic or at least a wiring diagram (Zero provides an owner's manual, but nearly all technical info is dealer-only).

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think Alta is a black box for now. We would have to disassemble and reverse-engineer things.

I will poke the throttle with a multimeter next time I dig into the bike deep enough to reach its connectors.

Another option is to ask Alta. They still have engineers doing Tech support, so they will give clues.

rayivers

It would be great if there were replacement gearsets available for the throttle housing, like the cable cams in high-end ICE throttles. A one-tooth pinion change would probably make a huge difference in response (maybe even too much). I wonder if Alta dealers can now create/upload new throttle maps? Zero's currently working out the bugs of updating firmware via smartphone, guess it's just a matter of time before Alta does it too.

Ray

rayivers

Philip, re the throttle - the MX-R's is quite large in diameter, one of the biggest I've seen (way bigger than the Magura & Domino electric throttles). The OD is larger than the Alta switch unit or grip ODs, with a bevel on the grip side. It looks different from the '17 MX throttle, at least in the pics I've seen, and turns about 65° total (a little less than the Domino). Perhaps it might be an upgrade for your bike.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I just compared the throttles on my old MX and my new MXR. They appear to be the same. Measured the angular travel -- exactly the same.

What I am hoping for is that, with 25% more available power, the end result will be that the MXR throttle will feel 25% quicker.

rayivers

Thanks for that info! I have a spare throttle on order, I'll check it out with a meter when it arrives. Maybe it'll work on my Zero.

On a side note... for those looking for MX-R type acceleration from their MX who can sacrifice some top end, 11/53 sprockets will give 578 ft/lbs torque & @ 65mph max speed, while 10/53 (or 5.3:1 if 10T n/a) would give 636 / 58 (MX-R is @ 650 / 70, MX is 530 / 70). Renthal's 292-520-11P F sprocket should fit.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note... for those looking for MX-R type acceleration from their MX who can sacrifice some top end, 11/53 sprockets will give 578 ft/lbs torque & @ 65mph max speed, while 10/53 (or 5.3:1 if 10T n/a) would give 636 / 58 (MX-R is @ 650 / 70, MX is 530 / 70). Renthal's 292-520-11P F sprocket should fit.
Cool! Thank you for the idea and for the part numbers!

I did notice that the top speed of 70mph on my MX is a bit ridiculous. I have never exceeded 45mph at a motocross track. But I did not know 11-tooth front sprockets were available for purchase! What about 10-tooth sprockets?

If I try a 10-tooth sprocket on my MXR, it will feel like a 60hp bike up to 58mph, LOL! :LOL:

rayivers

Sure, no problem at all!

I couldn't find a 10T sprocket online I was certain would fit, and was also unable to find a photo of a 292-520-11P (they are available, though). I did find a 292-520-13P pic (below):

s-l225.jpg

Based on the above, I don't think 3 teeth could be removed from this sprocket and still leave adequate support, especially when worn (as they quickly will be). I could be wrong, though - I'll keep looking.

Ray

Top Bottom