Lowering the suspension AER 48

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I get it. The weeble wobble wants to stand up because its CG is below the center of the ball. if it rolls then the CG goes up. This is not the case with motorcycles.

Tuner

Oh, I get it. The weeble wobble wants to stand up because its CG is below the center of the ball. if it rolls then the CG goes up. This is not the case with motorcycles.

I respectfully disagree.
The "Weeble" has it's CG near it's contact patch. As a result, the "Weeble" will indeed "wobble", though it will not "fall down". If one were to place the motorcycles CG nearer it's contact patch, it too would wobble, though not fall down. Unfortunately, this would eliminate the possibility of suspension and reduce ground clearance to an unacceptable level.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This thing wobbles like the weeble. It does have a small kickstand but it stands vertically without it. Same idea as the weeble. Its CG is not in the contact patch, but it is below the center of the tire's lower cross-section.

This is because it has wide and relatively flat tires. This analogy does not apply to dirt bikes though. Respectfully.

Tuner

This thing wobbles like the weeble. It does have a small kickstand but it stands vertically without it. Same idea as the weeble. Its CG is not in the contact patch, but it is below the center of the tire's lower cross-section.

This is because it has wide and relatively flat tires. This analogy does not apply to dirt bikes though. Respectfully.
Again, we disagree, as in my opinion and experience, a CG that is close to the contact patch certainly does impact stability (including dirt bikes), both in theory and practice, and without direct regard to tire cross section. Study closely the dynamic of countersteering regarding a single track vehicle for clearer insight regarding CG's impact on steering.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Again, we disagree, as in my opinion and experience, a CG that is close to the contact patch certainly does impact stability (including dirt bikes), both in theory and practice, and without direct regard to tire cross section. Study closely the dynamic of countersteering regarding a single track vehicle for clearer insight regarding CG's impact on steering.
Now we are talking! We agree on everything, except I do not like the weeble analogy because the physics is totally different there.